Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Paraffin to extract essential oil (cannabis)
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2015 at 13:11

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote:
Why is the di-/trichloromethane extraction so unheard of, assuming that THC would dissolve very well in both, considering it is non-polar?

I wouldn't want the taint of chloride in my smoke and there's the fear that some minor constituents in cannabis might not be fully inert to alkyl chloride . . .

it's not as if you are looking at a health food product here.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 29-10-2015 at 13:37

There are a great many that pride themselves on using non "CHEMICAL" methods. Disgusted, offended and scared of the word. Only using the finest compost and mineral ammendments for growing. Regardless of yield loss.

The same goes for finished smokables. They do want it health food status.

I'm sure any chlorinated solvent would leave a less than desirable flavor. You ever try to roll tobacco or anything else on white binder paper as a kid? It is like inhaling sandpaper... Lots of kids I knew tried to be like the older brother/sister. Many will tell you straight off what NOT to roll with. Lol.

Using regular iso-alc and winterizing works. That is chilling in a freezer untill the waxes and chlorophyll are no longer held in solution. Dropped to the bottom as gunk. I've seen n emerald green sol go in, and after filtering, amber colored results. It deffinitely doesn't help someone turn a quick buck. Be we are talking about a medical approved guy using his own product, are we not? So who needs concern them selves with market price or production time
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 29-10-2015 at 19:59

Boring old fart keeps thinking: Repeated mention of technical grade reagents (diesel fuels?!). End product should rate pharmaceutical grade/food grade. Good solvents are cheap, compared to fried lungs?

--------

Boring old fart goes back to shepparding baby actors through pretending to shoot at each other on a video set... Half of the crew seem to spark up a vaporizer between scenes. Old fart notices a couple on technical crew who seem very happy and jolly everyday on set, that he feels quite ODD after standing down wind from. Curses and thinks about his random drug test as a hazmat driver. Thinks uncharitable thoughts about youth of today.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 29-10-2015 at 20:20

Learned 91%IPA extraction as a teenager in Florida. Have large scar on chin from passing out after overindulging ;-)

Done BHO recently

100_2413.jpg - 113kB100_2412.jpg - 210kB

WELL ventilated area

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 29-10-2015 at 20:30

That picture! Why is There an old RV on that dessert road in the background, with some old skinny white guy with a pistol and wearing only underwear and a gas mask?

-------

Seriously. I know you'll probably die of being shot by a jealous husband before it kills ya, but-

Such butane is a low grade lighter fuel, never intended for safety critical use. I have used a LOT of butane in various applications , and can attest that most cheap butane is HEAVILY contaminated with longer chain and less volatile hydrocarbons of random types, sometimes to the extent that it builds up in tanks as they are repeatedly refilled and screws up air mix ratios, fucks up systems, even EATING catalytic burner grids. Ya sure none of it was LEFT in that oil?

[Edited on 30-10-2015 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 29-10-2015 at 20:37

LOL

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

zombiedude1
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-10-2015 at 21:44

[ WARNING: Commentary & Ignorance in this response: Do not read, it's not very informative anyway ]

What's interesting to me is the amount of explosions and fires caused by cannabis (THC) oil compared to people running old fashioned LARGE copper stills with LARGE propane burners. I don't hear anything on the news about people distilling a few gallons (or more) of good ole' liquor, but I hear a lot about stoners blowing up basements, garages, homes, sheds, you name it; with the BHO extraction method.

Honestly, it sounds a lot more dangerous with the still considering if it huffs (condenser flash cooling, or other condenser failure) the alcohol fumes jump into the air and fill the house, then finally gets ignited by the propane burner directly underneath it. In fact, there's a mythbusters episode on this... Turns out it's a LOT harder to make it ignite than anticipated.

I'm wondering how the hell can those Butane cans being run through (HOPEFULLY) glass or SS ignite so easily, are these dumb**ts using gas or propane stoves to evaporate the butane? Who knows, but why not just make edibles or smoke the marijuana with a vaporizer? Seems like people are wanting to make oil for "dabs" and to hide large production easily. It's gotta be 99% stupidity when these accidents happen, generally stoners are known for stupidity. (Just check out the grammar and spelling used on many cannabis-related forums)

Don't mind me, discussing random bull**** because I'm bored and everyone else has already gave you great answers.
I'm all for legalization of cannabis (CBD research, cancer, and legitimate medical uses are great), but people are making it harder to accomplish that with their ignorance.
(I don't condone manufacturing THC honey oil -- too many booms)

I also realize that the original poster wasn't talking about using the BHO method, but why does he want to try a new method (not for safety I assume.. boiling 95% ethanol?... :D). Non-toxic?... Ethanol is toxic.

@Aga, Weed-Oil (Honey Oil, Dabs, wax, etc..) is very available on the "black market." It's common to smoke this oil by heating up a nail with a propane torch for combustion through a smoking apparatus. Stoners with propane torches and playing with butane... :o :mad: I have a lot of stoner friends, and neighbors unfortunately. I smoke (vaporizer only) every rare once in a while before bed for insomnia, but never during the day. (EDIT: I am in a legal medical marijuana state as well) I prefer my brews.

[Edited on 30-10-2015 by zombiedude1]

[Edited on 30-10-2015 by zombiedude1]
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 04:53

Quote: Originally posted by zombiedude1  
Turns out it's a LOT harder to make it ignite than anticipated.

That seems to be the case for a lot of things. When I use my propane torch, I use a household lighter to light it. 9 times out of 10, the propane gas blows the lighter flame out rather than igniting.

[Edited on 30-10-2015 by Upsilon]
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 06:58

There are many sources of ignition in an average home for a wave of butane flowing across a floor. Water heater or stove pilots, fridge, thermostat, light switch, etc.

It may be harder to ignite than some think, but I don't want a cloud of it in my home, or large amounts of ethanol or isopropyl vapors for that matter. I would imagine small batches of BHO are best made outdoors, on a breezy day.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 07:03

Quote:

I would imagine small batches of BHO are best made outdoors, on a breezy day.

Why would anyone want to make Barack Hussein Obama? Isn't there enough already to hand...

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 07:50

Quote:
So it's not exactly a low fire danger, especially when handled warm and in bulk by whiny, lazy stoners who can't be arsed to figure out their own chemical engineering.

'Bit depressing to see that ignorant old "stoner" stereotype still rearing its wretched head!

Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 08:19

Almost all solvents used in the cannabis extraction process are flammable, with the exception of CO2 and water of course. The media loves to publicize cannabis extraction explosions by comparing them to a "meth lab." Perhaps, by bringing to light lower flammability or non-flammable solvents, the media will no longer have any fuel to feed the ears of drug Tsars and anti-decriminalization supporters.

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 08:59

I've always wondered, why isn't steam distillation used?

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 09:47

A quick search showed a few links and ads for "solvent free hash oil" with steam distilled in the text. I didn't read further, but I'm sure it's been tried, or is currently used in some fashion.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 30-10-2015 at 11:25

Quote: Originally posted by Detonationology  
Perhaps, by bringing to light lower flammability or non-flammable solvents, the media will no longer have any fuel to feed the ears of drug Tsars and anti-decriminalization supporters.

Fueling the drug war... You need fuel, oxidizer and an ignition source for a metaphor... Errr, fire! Yes, for a fire.

You're young and still retain the belief that science and reason has much to do with human activity. I'm old, bitter and experienced.

If safety and toxicological data were applicable to this front of "the war on drugs(tm)", you'd likely buy your cannabis products at the places that USED to sell good ol' alcohol and tobacco. Pretty sure we can all agree on THAT?

But too much money/power and social inertia from the past centuries propaganda campaigns is vested in those 2 well established competitive industries, the status quo of USA prison/industrial complex/organized crime/big government. Call THAT your ignition source, and it's a bloody POWERFUL one.

I'll let you guys propose the metaphors for "fuel" and "Oxygen". You're still smokin', apparently- Probably will come up with something funkier and more poetic than mine.

Burn that motherfucker down...

[Edited on 30-10-2015 by Bert]

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 31-10-2015 at 05:13

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
. I would imagine small batches of BHO are best made outdoors, on a breezy day.

Y'all saw where I was...........out on a friends 10 acres with a nice black dumpster lid to set my corning ware on to hasten evap of butane

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top