Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Searching patents and legalities.
tekkado
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 13:06
Searching patents and legalities.

So for ages ill search uni databases or patents for certain things but never find anything useful. Im positive im searching wrong and curious how others on here go about it.
So im interested in synthesizing some creatine and there are a few from urine or from sarcosine as org. Chem. 1 lab pracs. But when i try to find a patent on creatine i have to sift through so much unrelated material, never eventually finding what i want. Is searching for terms such as "creatine synthesis" "creatine laboratory preparation" too ambiguous?
Im sure these are poor search terms but if someone could show me or point me in the direction of more efficient database/patent searching (im aware of boolean from uni) or even nomenclature for researching chemistry that i might not have thought of?
Also synthesizing something from a patent doesn't matter too much because how can they regulate that at home, but posting it to youtube or similar would be unwise?

Tekkado

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by tekkado]
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 15:27

Do you have access to Reaxys or Scifinder? (Most large universities, at least in the US, provide it.) Both are extremely useful; I personally prefer Reaxys.

As for legal issues from following patented procedures:
1) Patents expire. If it's more than 20 years old, it's a safe bet that you can do whatever you want with it.
2) If you don't try to sell the product, you are highly unlikely to get in trouble.

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
tekkado
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 15:52

I havent noticed them but will check for them. :)
Am I using adequate search terms though? I feel it too general or is this the equivalent to searching old tomes for that specific elixir recipe? Haha

Go To Top