Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: US-based chemists: has Laboy Glass shipped to you successfully?
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 17:41
US-based chemists: has Laboy Glass shipped to you successfully?

http://www.laboyglass.com

They sell ground-glass glassware at very affordable prices, however since they are China based, is there a risk of a package being stopped at customs?
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 17:44

Why would it be stopped by customs? It's just glassware. I have ordered numerous pieces of ground-glass glassware from China with no problems whatsoever.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 18:13

I've bought from them, but not recently. They do ship to the US.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 19:05

I have ordered from them two or three times. They seem to have trouble sending shipping confirmation or tracking, which has made me worry that my package wouldn't ever show up. It always did though, eventually.

[Edited on 9-11-2015 by Crowfjord]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 19:25

I've had some glass detained by customs, but it was all eventually released. It seems to me that they treat anything made of PTFE with great suspicion; I read somewhere that it is considered a "special commodity" and is thus subject to additional checks.

I don't think Laboy is cheap....
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 19:26

Sure, Laboy is great, but there's another option that's pretty much objectively better. Laboy's glassware is Synthware that has been rebranded with their logo (sometimes you can look closely at their pieces and find scratched off Synthware logos). You can buy the original Synthware glassware directly from this Aliexpress store for a lower price than what Laboy sells it for!

I've ordered from them before and though the shipping was rather slow, it was very affordable and well packed. Make sure to contact them and get your shipping rate consolidated before you place your order, it'll save you some money.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 21:22

I had cops arrive at my door, smash the glassware to pieces, shoot themselves and then charge me with murder for ordering glassware.

Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 05:23

I've ordered successfully from Laboy in the past, as well as many other Chinese suppliers. Shipping is often more expensive if you need to be able to track it, so many don't ever provide information other than confirmation of shipment. However, I have never had a shipment fail to show up, and none have ever taken more than two weeks.

You can go to eBay if you want glass. eBay requires tracking numbers to confirm the seller actually sent something, so you get one every time.

Laboy isn't the only one out there. CTech Glass and Hydrion Scientific sell Chinese glass but ship from the USA. They keep what they sell in stock so it arrives quickly. I have never had a bad experience with either of these. There are also a few eBay sellers that ship Chinese glass from US warehouses. You can search eBay by item location.

szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 14:29

As it happens I love Ebay for my glassware. You can buy full sets from Chinese sellers in china or local US people from massive lab warehouses to small individual sellers, this has allowed my collection to get some very hard to find name brand glass items for cheap and as I bought them used their resell value should hold similar to what i purchased it for (provided they stay somewhat clean)

And i have received refunds instantly for broken items or items that arrived late. Actually a growing amount of my collection is free due to seller screw ups and trigger happy refunders

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
tommy claisen
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-11-2015 at 11:21

Laboy has sent me decent quality stuff twice, shipping time was reasonable both times. I wasn't satisfied with the spiral condenser I got from them, as the unevenness of the coil was beyond what I would consider acceptable. I let them know that I wanted to return it, and they responded with a refund but told me to keep it... The issue has not seemed to affect the durability and function of the condenser, as I use it all the time now. So they seem to be good people in addition to selling glass for a great value.

However, there are a few vendors on eBay that are also really excellent. In addition, United Glass Technologies and Atmar-Glass have both offered quality items, especially when I don't want to go through eBay, or I can't find an item there.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2015 at 02:09

United Glass Technologies... eh.. I have had them mess up orders, and they aren't cheap really. Also, I've had their flasks break due to temperature variations quite frequently. Their condensers and adapters are good quality though.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 15-11-2015 at 06:23

One difficulty for Cou and other texas based chemist is the added legal issue unique to Texas. Although they probably won't, customs could notify Texas authorities.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 15-11-2015 at 10:07

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
I had cops arrive at my door, smash the glassware to pieces, shoot themselves and then charge me with murder for ordering glassware.

Best reply so far! I've seen a lot of unfounded paranoia but usually on drug related sites where ignorance controls

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 08:05

I plan on ordering a pressure equalizing addition funnel from China(250 mL) and a 500 mL two neck RBF from labor and a vigreux too. Think it will get pulled?

Edit- I ordered a 150 dollar distilation kit from them and nothing happened so probably not. And I don't live in Texas

[Edited on 4-2-2016 by 100PercentChemistry]

100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2016 at 13:32

I got the package with no problems. I didn't have to sign anything for the glassaware I got. But to my surprise I had to sign a form for alligator to a banana plug wire :D
Orenousername
Hazard to Self

Mood: Regulated

[*] posted on 17-4-2016 at 15:02

Ordered about $300 of ground glassware. Most came without a problem in 2 weeks but reflux condenser coil was broken. Emailed them about it and they said they would replace it but have not heard from them since.
Chemist_Cup_Noodles
Harmless

Mood: Anticipative

[*] posted on 18-4-2016 at 04:48

Laboy is blessedly cheap. I got a 200mm Liebig condenser from them, and not only did it arrive like a day after the earliest estimate but also well packaged, and the quality was certainly there. The glass was quite thick, definitely up to standard as opposed to some of the other cheap Chinese glassware that I've gotten on eBay. However, some eBay glassware (sam10086 is great) is just too cheap to pass on. I got a full distillation kit, sans condenser because I already had one, with keck clips, vacuum take off, some rubber tubing, two thermometers, two quite thick boiling flasks, etc for $21 USD. With condenser it was 26$, so still a great price.
Customs was never an issue with me, but this thread seems to have a lot of varying experiences so I guess take that into consideration.

@zts16
Wow that's interesting, I'll make a note of that for future shopping. After looking through some of the listings (which there are a TON of) there are some hella good prices, but sorting through all this is a pain, and the search function turns up interesting results too. OP, definitely consider this seller and site I'm now wishing I had known about this. However, the 200mm condenser that I ordered from Laboy looks quite different than the one Synthware has depicted, so maybe it's not all just rebranded. But Synthware's price was certainly lower. Definitely a good find, I'd love to know your source on this.

I'll be honest-- We're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do.
-Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Add yourself to this map of SciMad members! https://zeemaps.com/map?group=388676&add=1
Mush
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2016 at 10:57

Well, I had issue with them too. They sent me a worng ground cone size dropping funnel.
The distillation adapter what I ordered was full of air bubbles.
I am not going to order anything from them in the future.:(
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 18-4-2016 at 17:25

I have never had a problem receiving glassware or reagents. I can't imagine why glassware would be delayed. "..adapter what I ordered.." (?) maybe your wording wasn't clear.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Orenousername
Hazard to Self

Mood: Regulated

[*] posted on 18-4-2016 at 22:01

They sent me an email and tracking number today after a little nudging. :D About a week after they said they were going to replace it they sent it out. Somewhat reasonable waiting period.

Am expecting to receive my replacement condenser soon and am also happy with their customer service.

Go To Top