Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: eBay De-listing Potassium Nitrate?
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 08:57
eBay De-listing Potassium Nitrate?

I have noticed recently that eBay has taken down several listings for potassium nitrate from the usual suppliers.

Kelp4less looks like the last supplier of bulk KNO3 for some reason. Everything else is just books and mineral supplements (Why one would want to eat KNO3 is beyond me...) and the Humco stuff which is an outrageous $30 per pound. Usually there are 5 or 6 suppliers offering the 99% stuff in bags from 1-25lbs.

I wonder if this has to do with the incident in Paris?

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 10:24

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
(Why one would want to eat KNO3 is beyond me...)

Maybe it's for people with persistent hard-ons. :D

Sounds like it's time to stock up.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 10:53

ebay is the only place you can get a few lb. of Potassium nitrate? That could be a bad thing, then...

http://www.seedworldusa.com/products/potassium-nitrate?utm_m...

image.jpg - 19kB

I have not bought much from ebay in a long time. Since about the time they decided to dictate payment terms, actually.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 11:28

I have noticed recently that eBay has taken down several listings for potassium nitrate from the usual suppliers.

Kelp4less looks like the last supplier of bulk KNO3 for some reason. Everything else is just books and mineral supplements (Why one would want to eat KNO3 is beyond me...) and the Humco stuff which is an outrageous $30 per pound. Usually there are 5 or 6 suppliers offering the 99% stuff in bags from 1-25lbs.

I wonder if this has to do with the incident in Paris?

I noticed that too but it was before the Paris incident. Kind of sad, I was thinking it might be fun to burn some with sugar for old times sake.
Praxichys
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 12:29

Amazon still has some sellers but they take such a huge cut from every sale that all of it has gone up by a few dollars per pound over what eBay used to be.

However, if all you need is a nitrate salt, you can get 10lbs of ammonium nitrate for $25 and free shipping on Amazon. Go figure...

Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 12:43

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
(Why one would want to eat KNO3 is beyond me...)

Maybe it's for people with persistent hard-ons. :D

Sounds like it's time to stock up.

Time to stock up? Time to build a Birkland Eyde reactor. Potassium Nitrate was discontinued years ago here.
highpower48
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 13:24

Has anyone bought any that has been prilled....and if so any issues?
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 13:30

I think I once got some kind of tiny prills. Kinda a pain for some reactions because it wouldn't dissolve as easily.
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 10:39

Yeah, the KNO3 prills I came across are a pain in the ass, as they are hard to grind and if you want to do something useful with them, you must first recrystallize them.

Are they obtained via melting by any chance?

Grantr
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 16:10

I saw this supplier. Not sure if those prices are good.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 18:30

Quote: Originally posted by Grantr  
I saw this supplier. Not sure if those prices are good.
I've ordered potassium nitrate from them before. Prices are good, as is the quality. It does come as prills however, which can be a pain for some reactions; as mentioned above.

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 20:13

I remember when I was a kid, not even a teenager yet, my oldest brother gave me a motor like this which I used to grind my KNO3 prills from a 50 lb bag. On the intake side I put a large funnel and on the out side I had a double pillow case. After two times through the impeller blades the prills came out about like talc. If you picked the motor up when running you could feel the gyroscopic force. The particular blower I had had in and out fittings at the openings that were held on with two bolts so I could take that part off and then clamp the pillow cases under the fitting to hold it on. It was kind of a quirky approach but it didn't take very long to powder the prills. The blower made a neat sound as it spooled up. I went through about 120 pounds of KNO3 and left the rest of a third bag when we moved.
http://www.ecompressedair.com/accessories/blowers/hitachi-e-...
sbreheny
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-12-2015 at 18:58
Recent change on eBay and Amazon?

Hi All,

I've bought quite a few chemicals from eBay sellers or Amazon sellers over the past 3 years. Up until about 6 months ago, sulfuric acid was easily obtainable on both sites. Now it is conspicuously absent. eBay's policy now states that sulfuric acid (along with almost all nitrates) is prohibited as explosive precursors. I don't know when that policy was changed. Was there some kind of recent crack-down or even a change in the law (I'm in the US)?

Thank God, when I first noticed that these chemicals were becoming harder to get, I ordered a whole gallon of 98% H2SO4 and a few pounds of potassium nitrate and a liter of nitric acid. I'm concerned, though, for others' sakes and also for myself when I eventually use up these stocks (mostly H2SO4 since it is such a valuable reagent for almost everything in both inorganic and organic chem).

Sean
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-12-2015 at 21:59

I just checked online at ebay and you're right, there's almost no potassium or sodium nitrate for sale as well as sulfuric acid. This is rather odd. I think someone else also noted this fact , a short time ago -- I can't remember who.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 23-12-2015 at 23:10

Last time I tried ordering potassium nitrate from eBay the transaction fell through and it never shipped. Had to get a refund. Last summer when I was in Seattle I made sure to stock up on a few pounds of it at Seattle Pottery. Turned out to be cheaper that way too.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Praxichys
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2015 at 06:10

I have noticed this too. I created a thread about it about 20 days ago. I'm used to seeing my eBay feed full of these sorts of chemicals and was also surprised to find them absent.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=64...

DudaDiesel has great deals on both sulfuric acid and potassium nitrate. I would recommend them.

[Edited on 24-12-2015 by Praxichys]

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-12-2015 at 08:58

Yes, they have good prices, however shipping is rather steep if you aren't buying a lot of stuff.

Praxichys
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2015 at 09:07

Found the official list on eBay. Sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and potassium nitrate are no longer allowed. It's funny they haven't flagged ammonium perchlorate.

2015-12-24 11_51_02-Hazardous, restricted, or regulated materials.png - 54kB

Amazon has also done some "hack-and-slash" de-listing of the same products.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_...

Not allowed:
"Any chemical substance or compound that is intended for commercial, industrial, or professional use only and is not available for general consumer purchase"

Obviously, unless you're a "professional," you shouldn't be allowed to have "chemical substances". What if my sulfuric acid was "intended" for "general consumer purchase?" But seriously, if your hobby is anything other than watching football and collecting memorabilia, you're not a real American. We don't need scientists in this country, no-sir. Now go watch your TV and stop thinking all scientific-like. :mad:

[Edited on 24-12-2015 by Praxichys]

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2015 at 09:11

That's a pain. My last order of KI came from ebay. KNO3 is still available (AFAIK) as stump remover.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
sbreheny
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2015 at 09:25

I have indeed bought H2SO4 from Duda Diesel before but it was through eBay. He still sells on eBay but doesn't list H2SO4. I see that he still sells it direct. That's good - I'll go that route next time. Thanks for the tip. One downside is that he sells technical grade acid. I used to be able to buy ACS grade H2SO4 on eBay before from CCS (Consolidated Chemical and Solvents). I just checked and they also still sell ACS grade 98% H2SO4 direct.
Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
24-12-2015 at 09:25
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-12-2015 at 09:26

I went ahead and merged the two threads since they've both been active today.

KesterDraconis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-12-2015 at 11:59

This is ridiculous. I thank Bert for that link to Seedworld, and I have a couple other sources, but sulfuric acid, more concentrated H2O2, and all that other stuff as well? My urine may as well be a banned explosives precursor, heck the air should probably be as well!

"I can make anything from anything else, as long as I have the base elements. Only the number of steps in between will vary. So ban what you want, it will slow me down, it will not stop me, and neither will it stop terrorists."- NurdRage Q&A November Edition

I wish that the people in charge would get an education in this regard. We want to peacefully go about our business, harming no one, why should we be punished for these peoples misuse of our science?

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-12-2015 at 12:15

Nitromethane is on the list too? Somehow, they are still selling that-

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Torco-RC-Fuel-100-Nitro-Gallon-/190692...

As noted, prohibitions on chemicals or equipment only stop uneducated and/or unmotivated people. If people have ever made it, someone else can too.

People with a small quantity of improvised chemical explosives don't scare me (much). An intelligent and homicidal geneticist/molecular biologist with a private basement scares the hell out of me.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-12-2015 at 13:24

Now now Bert. Calm yourself.

She's called your Wife.

The product is Bert Junior.

Nothing to be afraid of for at least 13 years.

Basement ? Oh well. Each to their own ...

Praxichys
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2015 at 04:17

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Nitromethane is on the list too? Somehow, they are still selling that-

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Torco-RC-Fuel-100-Nitro-Gallon-/190692...
One great thing is that the listing police aren't all that knowledgeable on the subject. I purchased mercury long ago on eBay under then name "Hydrargyrum." It wasn't flagged for months. Something tells me that the MeNO2 listing got skimmed and nobody put together "nitro" = nitromethane. Also notice they failed to de-list "Saltpeter." Hilarious.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top