Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: iodine clock reaction - recovering the iodide/iodate
jamit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 09:53
iodine clock reaction - recovering the iodide/iodate

Just recently i performed the iodine clock reaction. My problem is that, I want to recover the 50g or so amount of potassium iodide which I used for the clock reaction. I certainly don't want to throw it down the drain as the solution does contain valuable iodine/iodide.

My question is, how can I recover the iodide/iodine since it is mixed with acetic acid, sodium thiosulfate, sodium metabisulfite and potassium iodide and iodine? Any suggestions?
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 20:41

The easiest way that I can think of is to mix it with enough HCl and H2O2 to convert all of the iodine into its elemental form. Then mix it with enough MgSO4 to absorb all of the water and finally sublimate the iodine.
I can't give you any amounts without more info on how much of each reagent was used though.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 22:51

I have not tried it yet but chemplayer on yt gives a nice isolation of iodine using persulfate. Worth a look.

PartVIII
Harmless

Mood: viscous

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 22:52

You should probably oxidize it back to iodine using H2O2 and HCl, then lightly boil off as much of the solution as possible. Boiling point of iodine is ~183C, so you should be good as long as you don't heat it too much.

Then, once the solution is concentrated, extract it with a nonpolar solvent like hexane. Boil off the hexane, and sublimate for purification.
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 23:22

From experience, Iodine will start sublimating well before 183C, just as water evaporates below 100C, but usually more markedly with Iodine.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 23:26

Whatever you do, you want a sublimation step to remove the starch.

jamit
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-12-2015 at 02:16

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
The easiest way that I can think of is to mix it with enough HCl and H2O2 to convert all of the iodine into its elemental form. Then mix it with enough MgSO4 to absorb all of the water and finally sublimate the iodine.
I can't give you any amounts without more info on how much of each reagent was used though.

I'll definitely give the HCl and h2o2 a try to convert everything to iodine... I expect the iodine to drop to the bottom then, i can decant and try to purify it.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 19-12-2015 at 13:05

Transform into I2 and extract it with a halogenated solvent...

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)

Go To Top