Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Sheriff in Town
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 17:45
New Sheriff in Town

Well, as you may have noticed, I have become a moderator. I thought it would be good to start a thread to get everyone on the same page and answer questions any of you might have.

As for my moderation style, I plan to take a page from bfesser's book in that I am a very active member and will likely spend a fair amount of time on minor prunes and mergers, though I will not involve myself in flame wars or take sides on controversial issues from here on out. I will try my best to act in the best interests of the community here, rather than promote my own agenda.

Before I do much of anything though, I'd like to get a feel for how my promotion has been received by all of you, and what it is that I can do to best serve you.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 18:16

cool beans man! glad to have ya, and good luck.
User123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 18:51

Bfesser pissed off just about every older member of this forum with his excessive pestering and getting up people's noses, so for the sake of peace and quiet I hope that you DON'T take ANY leaves out of his book. It's quite concerning that you see the disaster that he was as in some way 'inspirational'.

I can't say that this seems like a good move at all. You're a teenager, aren't you? Perhaps someone with more age and maturity, who doesn't seek to emulate bfesser would be better, or not another disaster in the making.

I don't mean to be negative, but you've given me reason to be.

[Edited on 18-12-2015 by User123]
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 18:54

Quote: Originally posted by User123  
Bfesser pissed off just about every older member of this forum with his excessive pestering and getting up people's noses, so for the sake of peace and quiet I hope that you DON'T take ANY leaves out of his book. It's quite concerning that you see the disaster that he was as in some way 'inspirational'.

I can't say that this seems like a good move at all.

Are you an older user with a new account? If so, which one were you?

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 18:54

Bfesser wasna so bad. Jeez. Leave him ALONE. zts, WELCOME.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

User123
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 18:55

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  

Yes. And... none of your business.
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 18:56

Hey, he said he'll take a page out the book, not copy the whole manual.

I think you'll do great, i'm excited, congrats about the promotion. But yeah don't nitpick too much. From what i've read on old threads bfesser did seem to have thing for edits on original posts, changing things like subscripts and all that. Seemed a little too pedantic. You do need to remember to step back a little and realise if the message is getting across and we're all getting along then there's nothing that really needs fixing.
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 19:16

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  

Yes. And... none of your business.

Cool. Carry on, you helpful, upstanding user, you.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 19:18

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
Hey, he said he'll take a page out the book, not copy the whole manual.

I think you'll do great, i'm excited, congrats about the promotion. But yeah don't nitpick too much. From what i've read on old threads bfesser did seem to have thing for edits on original posts, changing things like subscripts and all that. Seemed a little too pedantic. You do need to remember to step back a little and realise if the message is getting across and we're all getting along then there's nothing that really needs fixing.
Exactly, I can agree that bfesser had a tendency to cause conflicts and get caught up with unimportant issues. He took a lot of things personally and held fierce grudges. At the same time, he did also keep a lot of threads well organized and neat that otherwise would spiral out of control. See here, for instance: Climate Science for the Amateur. It started off as a legitimate, civil scientific discussion, but inevitably, it started going up in flames. You can see that bfesser did a good job of pruning the nonsense and leaving the science unaltered, however after he left the thread descended into chaos and meaningful discussion was buried under a pile of franklyn links.

VS, arkoma, Tdep, thanks for the support. :)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
User123
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 19:25

So you intend to actively piss off franklyn, whose posts and sceptical attitude many of us like?
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 19:28

So you intend to actively piss off franklyn, whose posts and sceptical attitude many of us like?

So you plan to actively create strawman arguments and generate problems that weren't there to begin with?

User123
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 19:31

He gave an example of what he views as a 'pile of nonsense'. No straw man involved.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 19:31

Remember, if a moderator is doing their job right then the target forum users will not notice your hard work and you'll get no thanks, and the worst forum users will think the world is coming to an end.

Good luck.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 20:45

As a pedantic person myself, I must say I'm very happy to see zts16 take up the mantle. There has already been a sizable amount of improvement here since I logged on this morning!

I'd like to applaud his dedication and courage in taking up such a demanding yet generally thankless job.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 23:38

personally, I quite liked bfesser. his desire to work his but off, to clean the cobwebs was admirable. Ive even tried to contact him a few times, to no avail sadly. I felt bad about the way things ended there. sure he got on some peoples nerves, but I'd welcome him again if he returned as a member. the good outweighed the nuisance, to me at least, and he would respond to U2U's if you had a question or concern. big fan of talking before you start gettn a chip on your shoulder 'bout something.

I think you will do a great job in your very own way zts16. you contribute to, as opposed to detract from, the substance here = already a good start :) ya seem bright also, don't forget: age smage, I'm 37 going on 19. which isn't to say I'm immature, just the kid in me never died. age doesn't make you responsible, and youth doesn't make you a fool. the man makes himself regardless of number of days crossed off his calendar (to a point of course). I trust that some one set up into a position like this, was put there for a reason. respect is due, if not for the newly anointed, then for the ones higher up that approved it.

I've only been here since 2-9-12, so I am far from a long standing member. but I do check in daily, almost with out fail, and I have really enjoyed being a part of this forum. I don't think Id ever want the job my self, but I *SURELY* respect any member here, that is willing to put in the hours and set up a bull's eye on them self = a potential ass-hat's comment funnel straight to inbox ( hope it never comes to that)

so again I say to you, cool beans man! glad to have ya, and good luck.

-Violet Sin-
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 23:57

Congratulations zts !

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 03:44

Excuse me Mr. Sir,
Are you the cavalry or the Sheriff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uec0fFOxtcs
(7:55)

Congratulations, I too have seen many improvements since last night.
Only thing I have to suggest is don't be anal.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 04:16

Best of luck zts, you'll likely need it ─ and that (unspoken?) question about herding cats ("how hard can it be, anyway?") is probably soon to be answered . . . :D

Big Boss
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 07:13

Congratulations zts, you better not go subscript nazi though!

Kept you waiting, huh?

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 07:38

I met bfesser in person once (he lived about 10 miles away from me; I don't know if he still does), and he was a pretty nice guy. I think the problem that he had on Sciencemadness was that he tried to fix absolutely everything, realized it was impossible, and burned out. He made a lot of positive contributions before then, though. One thing that comes to mind is his topical compendium -- maybe you could try maintaining and updating it?

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 07:46

Many? Tell me that's not true.

The guy's a certified fruitcake who buys into every conspiracy going, has issued death threats, had several of his threads closed when things got too bad and will sooner or later face a suspension.

And you're a fan???

[Edited on 18-12-2015 by blogfast25]

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 08:19

Glad to see you as moderator, zts. Don't worry about any comparisons to bfesser, just do the job. It's a real contribution to the community, very much appreciated in this direction.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 08:44

w00t! Herding cats indeed, you're braver than I.

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 09:36

Experiment:

Flex your new-found Super Powers by randomly making something sticky for a while, then un-sticky it.

The reactions could be rather vigorous, depending on what you chose.

(there are many good reasons why i should never be a mod)

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 18-12-2015 at 10:18

Glad to have some more hands on deck...

Here's your "challenge coin".

image.jpg - 122kB

I keep the broom and dustpan behind the door to Energetic Materials, and the emergency bottle of brandy is under the sink.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top