Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  24    26
Author: Subject: Everyday Chemistry
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 22:41

How much uranium do you expect to extract from this 20 lb of ore? Sounds very interesting.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at http://www.oelen.net/science
TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 03:12

Not 100% sure, one side of the rock is quite hot while the other side is relatively low level. I thing if I were to process it, I would get somewhere around 1/2 to 1 lb of a uranium salt. I say salt because I have not decided on what uranium compound i am going to make. My guess would be that i am going to make a variety of them.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 03:17

That's quite a big project. If you can extract 1/2 to 1 lb of uranium compounds in a pure state, then you have achieved a fantastic result. Keep us updated!

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at http://www.oelen.net/science
j_sum1
Super Moderator

Mood: Maintaining a semblance of equilibrium

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 03:38

@NerdyFarmer
I agree completely with woelen.
Would you be able to start a new dedicated thread to log your efforts on this? It would be an interesting one to follow and I think very informative.

A little shameless self-promotion: New stuff on the YT channel. 100 sub celebration. Or you can tour my lab.
TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 14:19

I may start a thread, there's a couple thing that I may need to do first though. I first am going to need to build a ball mill that can mill at least 5lbs of ore at a time. Then I think I am going to try to make myself a lead apron to offer additional "protection" from the radiation, (gives >500,000 counts on the scintillator). I also need to find a place to safely store this chemical. Once I get all of the prerequisites done, I will start a new thread following my progress on the actual chemistry without including all the boring bits. Glad to see that there is some interest in this!
arkoma
Forum Redneck

Mood: Amazed

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 16:26

Finally did an esterifacation today. Methyl salicylate. Had 3.5gm of SA that was two years old......product is dirty looking but seems good yield after 5hr slow reflux. Going home to work up now.

Why did i wait so long to by a hotplate stirrer?
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 12:42

Actually I just did an esterification a couple of days ago too, made butyl acetate from some nbutanol I got from dibutyl phthalate. Very 'banana' smell, still not sure how exactly I'm going to purify the organic layer of product though.

My write-ups are on here...
http://www.MeltThe.Ga or http://ptp.x10.mx
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 12:48

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Actually I just did an esterification a couple of days ago too, made butyl acetate from some nbutanol I got from dibutyl phthalate. Very 'banana' smell, still not sure how exactly I'm going to purify the organic layer of product though.

Odd- most of the acetates I've made (apart from isoamyl acetate) are more generic fruity than anything specific.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
aga
Forum Drunkard

Mood: Para/Dia-letic

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 13:36

Weeks ago i chucked a rock into a calculated amount of 20w% HCl and let it react for days.

Filtered, then boiled to hydrolyse some impurities.

Filtered again to remove the copious grey sludge, then boiled to 'dryness' (likely .2 H2O)

Finished the whole batch today.

Oven for 3 hours tomorrow then into a bottle labeled "CaCl2"

Also messed with the solution produced by boiling S in NaOH.

The crystals look very much like they should for Na2S2O3, so will try to isolate as much as possible.

Madness is thinking i'm not drunk.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 07:05

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

Odd- most of the acetates I've made (apart from isoamyl acetate) are more generic fruity than anything specific.

It's definitely fruity, but it also seems to have a rather specific banana smell too. I watched a few prep. videos and they seem to agree with the banana character of it. Also, curiously, all preparations I've watched have the impure initial product being tinted slightly beige brown. I suppose it's just the common charring or whatever but it was interesting to observe.

Σldritch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 13:20

I have spent weeks making Cuprous Chloride and it finally happened; i filtered acetone into my reactants while washing the product... It was bound to happen since i had to do the same procedure nine times and i will have to do even more since i will need a lot of Cuprous Chloride. Luckily it is nothing unsalvageable. I think a break from that project is in order.
TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2018 at 06:16

Did a simple preparation of some ferric chloride today. Making for a friend who wants to make Damascus steel and wants to etch it.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Feeling Ascaridole

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 13:06

Today Synthysied aluminum chlorate suposidly generates chlorine dioxide when heated kinda reminds me of bismuth perchlorate added sulfuric acid to silica gel then proceeded to concentrate hydrogen peroxide by Desication

Chemistry video storage (200 videos so far)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kbll6gz9bdb4q/Videos
Natures Intellectual Organic Peroxide. >>Ascaridole <<

Oxone
Used for the production of --> CH2O/Cl2/ClO2/Br2/I2

------------------------------------->>Hydrogen Peroxide << -------------------------------------------- >> Acetylene <<
Peroxide Salts
Zinc Peroxide <\> Copper Peroxide <\>Silver Peroxide <\>Lithium Peroxide <\>Magnesium Peroxide <\>Calcium Peroxide to Calcium Superoxide
CoO2. \\ NiO2 \\ Ti/V/Cr peroxy complex \\ Triamine chromium peroxide \\ LiH \\SiO2-H2SO4 (SSA) \\ [Ni(NH3)6]

Exotic reducing agents
Ga2O TiCl2 GeCl2 && Na2S2O4
JJay
International Hazard

Mood: planning a semi-novel acetonitrile synthesis

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 17:48

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  
Today Synthysied aluminum chlorate suposidly generates chlorine dioxide when heated

I'd be interested in reading about how well that works.

This is my YouTube channel: Extreme Red Cabbage. I don't have much posted, but I try to do nice writeups once in a while.
NeonPulse
National Hazard

Mood: thinking outside the box...

[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 22:47

Doing a second prep of Acetamide. This time using the classic method of refluxing urea and GAA. This is the second method I’m trying. I finished yesterday distilling Acetamide from a run in which Ethyl Acetate was reacted with ammonia over a period of 10 days. The yield looks to be ok but some product was lost in the distillation since I only took the fraction from 210c onwards as nearly pure Acetamide. Here’s a picture of one in progress and yesterday’s yield cooling and crystallising.

61243D0A-AD17-4F0F-9FAB-A219346D1E64.jpeg - 4.6MB 7AC39D17-944D-4D60-9E04-309FD98DECC0.jpeg - 1.8MB

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by NeonPulse]

Where there is a will
there is a way.

Like many of us i also do Youtube.... AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie... Fixed link. You can see it now!
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 16:32

NeonPulse, do you have plans for your acetamide? I have often thought of doing the prep but never thought the product very useful. Your pictures are very pretty however.

Pages:  1  ..  24    26

Go To Top