Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A man of wealth and taste
KissC001
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 11:48
A man of wealth and taste

Hi !
First of all, happy new year everyone. I'm new here. I live in France and I really love organic chemistry. I'm on my first year of bachelor in biology-chemistry. My english is not perfect bur I will try to be as clear as possible. I also love music, I play violin for 8 years.
I'm very interested by the chemistry of Indole. My basics are not perfect, I really start chemistry this year, previously I was studying economics. So, forgive me in advance for any mistake or nonesense
I hope me presence here will be usefull.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 12:12

Bonjour, Monsieur.

Je m'appelle JJ. Je suis un homme de mystère. J'aime les fromages.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 12:30

If you are interested in Indole, please work out how to make Indole-3-butyric acid for me.

Welcome to Science Madness !

Tu a bien choisi. Ici c'est bon.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 12:37

Why don't you figure it out yourself instead of asking for spoonfeeding from a brand new member? Not setting a very good example here, aga.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 13:00

When you speak French to people you don't know very well, you are supposed to use "vous" instead of "tu" - it's like saying "thou" in English except they still do it.

As you get to know someone better, the rules change, but you'll come across as rude if you use "tu" too soon.

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by JJay]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 13:54

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Why don't you figure it out yourself instead of asking for spoonfeeding from a brand new member? Not setting a very good example here, aga.

Too busy drinking.

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
When you speak French to people you don't know very well, you are supposed to use "vous" instead of "tu" - it's like saying "thou" in English except they still do it.

As you get to know someone better, the rules change, but you'll come across as rude if you use "tu" too soon.

But, but, we know LG2 very well already !

I find that when speaking in languages with a formal and informal mode, immediately using the informal tends to make negotiations go better.

Maybe it's because the linguistic implications force a mind-state that puts me in a higher class (in their mind), or maybe it immediately implies the dispensation of formalities, equalling friendliness - i don't know why it works, just that it does.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 14:06

It depends on whom you are dealing with... if I'm talking to a politician about why we need a $5 million state-funded road through the neighborhood liquor store, I'm going to be all "Mr. Suchandsuch" even if we are on a first name basis. If I'm talking to a doctor, I'll talk informally and let him/her speak formally. If I'm talking to a mechanic, I'll occasionally drop subject-verb agreement.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 14:13

Depends on how you want the negotiation to work out in my experience.

As for the liquor store, i'd not be grovelling, i'd have done quite a lot of homework, and say "OK Stefan, you got two options here. Either we go through your mother's house or there's this other route through some crappy liquor store. Sure they'll complain, but it's a business, so they'll understand. Option three is these photos of you and the laviscious cabbage get to the press, capiche ?"

Edit:

To be clear jjay, i do have a rudimentary grasp of French (school) and do understand some of the niceties of modes of address.

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by aga]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 14:40

That sounds more like how to deal with a DOT engineer.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 02:48

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Quote: Originally posted by zts16  

Too busy drinking.

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  

But, but, we know LG2 very well already !

I find that when speaking in languages with a formal and informal mode, immediately using the informal tends to make negotiations go better.

Maybe it's because the linguistic implications force a mind-state that puts me in a higher class (in their mind), or maybe it immediately implies the dispensation of formalities, equalling friendliness - i don't know why it works, just that it does.

Ok I dont get the reference to me??

Unless of course you going to think all new members are me lol now that would be funny :D.

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous

Go To Top