Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: welshwing's Thread of Many Questions
Great
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 20:04

It will break very fast, depending on how hot you heat it.
welshwing
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 20:08

Quote: Originally posted by Great  
It will break very fast, depending on how hot you heat it.

Ok. Is the glass cover okay so I can watch the reaction taking place?
Great
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 20:09

How high are you heating it?
welshwing
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 20:10

Where are you located? Lots of places here sell portable butane burners and stoves.

Thanks! I am in USA. I can use the iternet / google to buy one. Which of these from this link would you maybe buy if you were me? https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+bunsen+burner&oq=buy...
welshwing
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 20:13

600 C, up to 700 C
Great
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 20:18

Quote: Originally posted by welshwing  

600 C, up to 700 C

Don't use glass, I'd just recommend watching it with safety goggles. The glass will shatter into your dish, contaminating your product with shards, and messing up your workspace.

Also, use a different crucible material, like steel, copper, or graphite. The porcelain will likely break as well at high temperatures. If you can't find a good alternate crucible, improvise. I'm constantly impressed with the things people in the forum come up with to combat this problem, and I myself have also fashioned a few ghetto crucibles to do the job.

EDIT: What are you making anyhow? Depending on what it is, some materials would be better than others.

[Edited on 2-3-2016 by Great]
welshwing
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 20:21

Quote: Originally posted by welshwing  

600 C, up to 700 C

Don't use glass, I'd just recommend watching it with safety goggles. The glass will shatter into your dish, contaminating your product with shards, and messing up your workspace.

Also, use a different crucible material, like steel, copper, or graphite. The porcelain will likely break as well at high temperatures. If you can't find a good alternate crucible, improvise. I'm constantly impressed with the things people in the forum come up with to combat this problem, and I myself have also fashioned a few ghetto crucibles to do the job.

I gotta go soon,

But if I don't use a cover won't oxygen effect the reaction? I was always told covering it will allow fumes to escape without allowing much oxygen into it
Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
1-3-2016 at 20:44
Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
1-3-2016 at 20:46
Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
1-3-2016 at 20:46
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 06:22

Use a steel can and lid. I doubt many portable Bunsen burners will get it hot enough. I'd build a charcoal forge, real cheap and can do 600°C no problem. Failing that, you could buy a propane torch at a hardware store for less than $20.
Be careful.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 13:07

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

It's probably an even BETTER idea to just wear the fracking mask (WITH the appropriate cartridges)

Me and many people around here seem to be working with a gas mask. I believe there's a thread to be opened about them.

Not all filter cartridges will stop whatever you are doing.
Filter paper and activated charcoal are good if you are going to be working with airborne particles. It WONT protect you against most gasses.
Someone with a good knowledge of filter cartridges should write a little something that we could all refer too.
I have a bunch of filters: some for small particles, some for solvents (given to painters) but it is the military grade I use more often.
I should be said that many of these cartridges "wear out". They might be used long after their expiry date but once "open" they cant be kept forever even if you dont use them.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 14:27

I do use a gas mask from time to time. Your ventilation should generally be sufficient so that the gas mask is only a backup for emergencies. Of course, you don't want to feel a draft from a passing gale and accidentally catch a whiff of the fresh batch of hydrazine that you are whipping up because you didn't feel like wearing your gas mask. But if you have to wear it all the time, you really just don't have adequate ventillation.
welshwing
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 15:59

What is so bad about butane? "Bunsen burners" that use butane say they can reach up to 2000 degrees F

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by welshwing]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 16:01

Maybe... but we dont all have a fume Hood.
I have a 385 cubic /meter / hour extraction with the inlet that I can move pretty much anywhere I want on my workspace and the outlet is connected to the air intake (in this case it's the outtake) of the kitchen thought some plasiticized aluminum.
But still, as a precaution I wear a gas mask on many occasion. Mostly because if havent gotten a full face shield yet but also because some nasties will beat the extractor (was making Chloropicrin last week, I'm stil perfecting the process because my yields are poor).
This is one of the cases, extraction or not (I cant build a real fume Hood there: it's my kitchen!) a gas mask is truly usefull :)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top