Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  41    43    45  ..  60
Author: Subject: Preparation of elemental phosphorus
Strepta
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 08:32

Magpie: Concerning run # 10: the fact that the entire charge was at reaction temperature and the point of origin of first ignition is uncertain is probably key to understanding what happened. It may be possible to effect a more controlled flame front by preheating the mix to, say, 500 deg C and then igniting it’s top surface in some manner, probably electrically. This would be in pursuit of a planar flame front where nearby regions need the reaction heat to initiate rather than the nearly instant ignition of the preheated bulk charge.

When I was doing my experiments with a test tube, I heated the entire tube to a point and then concentrated the burner flame near the top surface of the charge. Ignition was always at this top surface and progressed rather uniformly down the length of the charge. I realize that this is probably not practical for your present fixturing. If an electrical igniter (perhaps assisted with a small pyrotechnic mix) was tried, it may take a few trials to work out the amount of pre-heating and igniter size; or maybe you can work out some more clever way to control the point of ignition.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 09:17

Strepta: I think you have a good point, and it is backed up by your observations. I would like to try this if we could come up with a practical way to do it by modifying my present retort assembly.

Edit: One thought: Place a thin layer of hypergolic (at 500C) mixture on top of the ball-milled charge.

[Edited on 2-11-2012 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 10:48

So a preheat to about 500 C with one ignition point, huh? That would be worth experimenting with, using a small open crucible and some suitable hypergolic. Causing auto-ignition more or less throughout the whole mass at once (as you seem to be doing here) may cause the ‘explosion’ when charges become larger. And blocked snorkels in these conditions make me shiver!

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 19:51

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Quote: Originally posted by 12AX7  
Larger charges are better ran with coarser reactants, is this the case here as well?

See the results for run #8 above.

[Edited on 2-11-2012 by Magpie]

What about it? In #8, the charge was slightly smaller than #10; it produced much more slag (give or take how much got blasted out by the rapid ignition :( ). As scale continues to rise, it doesn't seem like ball-milled reactants are all that great an idea. At least not loose. A pressed charge may burn nicely rather than deflagrate, particularly if ignited on the top.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 20:24

What about it? In #8, the charge was slightly smaller than #10; it produced much more slag (give or take how much got blasted out by the rapid ignition :( ).

You indicated that a coarser charge would give a slower burn rate. Yes, but run #8, which is not ball milled, looks to be the upper limit for charge size due to the large amount of slag. Using ball milled material pointed a way to larger charge sizes due to the large drop in the quantity of slag (run #9). Thus, this line of experimentation was followed to its natural end: run #10.

As scale continues to rise, it doesn't seem like ball-milled reactants are all that great an idea.
Now that we've seen the results of run #10, yes.

At least not loose. A pressed charge may burn nicely rather than deflagrate, particularly if ignited on the top.

The use of briquettes is an idea that has intrigued me also. There's a patent for using these for the industrial production of P using the usual raw materials. However, I can't remember all of the claimed benefits. P vapor passing out of the retort easier was one of them IIRC.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Strepta
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 03:29

Pelletizing, graining and/or pressing are all good ideas, but only after you have ball-milled the bejesus out of the reactants to ensure their most intimate contact- unless you wish to abandon yield as a primary objective. Some advantage may also be gained from increasing the mixture's opacity with a small amount of carbon black to reduce infrared penetration.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 07:32

Quote: Originally posted by Strepta  
Some advantage may also be gained from increasing the mixture's opacity with a small amount of carbon black to reduce infrared penetration.

Do you have any evidence or references citing that technique?

Interestingly, some years ago I mixed in a very small amount of fine graphite into a ferric oxide thermit mixture and couldn’t get it to ignite for love nor money. I didn’t pursue the line of inquiry.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 08:00

... If an electrical igniter (perhaps assisted with a small pyrotechnic mix) was tried, it may take a few trials to work out the amount of pre-heating and igniter size; or maybe you can work out some more clever way to control the point of ignition.

Yes, a material that is stable until a high temperature (like 500C) is reached whereupon it ignites providing a higher temperature to ignite the mix might work. This might be as simple as placing a thin layer of ground up match heads on top of the mix.

I have electrical fuse wire. Of course this would be ideal as the mix temperature at ignition could be controlled exactly. Providing the one-time use insulated wire terminals would require extra work, however.

Strepta
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 10:02

Blogfast: My notion of the use of carbon black to opacify probably came from an article in Journal of Pyrotechnics, by Ken and Bonnie Kosanke, to which I had a subscription a few years ago. Currently, I have no access to those issues. The idea is also mentioned here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opacifier

Magpie: Couldn't you drill two holes (3-4mm) in the paint can and lead the wires troughholding them in place wih a dab of furnace cement?
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 12:27

Magpie: Couldn't you drill two holes (3-4mm) in the paint can and lead the wires troughholding them in place wih a dab of furnace cement?

Yes, that is what I was thinking also. I could use 2 regular copper wires as terminals. They would be insulated from the lid and sealed with furnace cement. The fuse wire would then be terminated at those 2 copper stubs, internal to the paint can.

This fuse wire is 34 ga Nichrome. It works well and I have used it to set off Mg in a bomb calorimeter. Fuse length is 4cm and I fire it with 24VAC.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 17:10

As a followup to my last post in this thread I fabricated a paint can retort with a Nichrome wire heating element. The wire was 0.56mm in diameter and 11cm long. When 9.7VAC was applied to the wire it would glow bright orange in 3 seconds. If the burn time was kept to 5 seconds or less multiple firings could be attained without the wire severing due to excessive heating.

Two holes, ~3mm in diameter, were located in the bottom of the wall of the paint can, diametrically opposed. The Nichrome wire was centered in these holes and cemented in place using furnace cement such that the wire was electrically insulated from the can. See pictures below:

element terminal.JPG - 106kB retort heating element.JPG - 107kB

A charge of 34.5g of Al/Bi2O3/NaPO3, with 15% Al excess, was placed in the can, covering the wire element. Using ss crimps 2 lengths of copper wire were extended from the retort. The retort was then loaded into the furnace as shown below:

copper terminals for retort.JPG - 115kB

copper terminals for retort

Heating was started. At temperatures of 500C, 550C, 600C, and 650C, a 5 minute soak was applied then the heating element activated for 5 seconds. After each firing the element would be checked for electrical continuity to assure that it had not severed.

This plan was accomplished, but at no temperature did the charge react to produce phosphorus. The retort was allowed to cool to room temperature then opened for inspection. The charge had sintered and could only be removed with with a hammer & chisel.

Conclusion This method for initiating the charge was not successful. I believe that the sintering was normal and unrelated to the element firings.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 14:30

Thanks Strepta.

Magpie: it's both a pity and a bit of a mystery as to why ignition wasn't achieved... Perhaps longer firing times of the wire to increase the temperature of the charge immediately surrounding the NiCr wire is needed? In that case you'd probably need sturdier wire... 5 seconds is not a long time to reach a high temperature locally, because there's not much time for heat transfer. And your wire also takes a couple of seconds to get to peak temperature.

[Edited on 20-11-2012 by blogfast25]

[Edited on 20-11-2012 by blogfast25]

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 16:27

Blogfast thanks for your interest but I really don't have a clue as to why the reaction didn't ignite. When I inspected the sintered charge I could see a small volume of solidified melt around the wire on one end. So there was some melting. I'm under the impression that liquifaction is necessary for ignition.

Strepta
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 17:01

Peculiar indeed. In your previous run explosive ignition occured at 710 deg, while in this case you took the reactants to 650 deg and then attempted to push over the threshold with a very localized high temperature source. This does not mirror my own experience, the most obvious difference being the use of pyro Al. Are you still "all in" for this reaction or growing weary? If not, as we discussed before, a small pyrotechnic booster may help. Also, if you kept the pieces of reactants you had to break up to remove from the retort, you may reheat a small quantity of those to ignition again, carefully monitoring the temperature.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 18:49

I am growing weary of experimenting with phosphorus so will stop for now. I will save the sintered charge fragments, however, for some possible future testing.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2012 at 02:52

I am growing weary of experimenting with phosphorus so will stop for now. I will save the sintered charge fragments, however, for some possible future testing.

You've done a lot and come a long way but this is not easy (and not cheap either) research to be carried out in from a hobbyist capacity.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 21-11-2012 at 09:31

...I really don't have a clue as to why the reaction didn't ignite.

Not really. The charge was subjected to unusual handling. Here's the tedious details:

The charge was initially standard in preparation including 6 hours of ball-milling. It was loaded into the retort. But when the heating element was tested for electrical continuity it failed. The connections were just twisted wire and were inside the retort. So, the powder was poured back into a capped jar. An improved method for the electrical connections using ss crimps was installed.

The powder seemed to clump due to absorbed moisture so the bottle was placed in the drying oven. This is when the Hg thermometer broke so there was more fussing with that problem. The charge was lightly sintered so was dug out of the bottle and lightly ground in a mortar. It was then charged to the retort. From there on the standard procedure was followed.

So, all this extraneous handling, moisture absorbtion, drying, and poor grinding very possibly compromised the charge and prevented the ignition.

Neodymium
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 00:26

Hi Magpie,

I’ve been recently following your phosphorus adventures for which I highly commend your skill, creativity and persistence. I have some familiarity with industrial processes as a professional chemist and I appreciate the difficulty of getting solid state reactions (or liquid mixtures containing insoluble solids) to start smoothly and run to completion. Your efforts to very finely grind and mix the reactants and dry them has, I am sure, been an important element in your success by creating as much active surface contact area as possible from which the reactions can occur.
In the real world kinetics often trumps thermodynamics in determining whether or not a particular chemistry may be practically employed. Please consider the possibility that the erratic production rates and yields which you have experienced may be due to the difficulty of the reductant (aluminum) physically reaching beyond the surface of the phosphate particles at these “low” temperatures. When the aluminum first melts it may wet and react with the phosphate particles’ surfaces giving a burst of reduced species, i.e. phosphorous, which then ceases since the liquid aluminum forms a skin which impedes further, deeper reaction and results in low yields. The aggregated liquid aluminum film with its low total surface area and sequestering surface ‘crud’ has an aluminum vapor pressure of only 5 x 10^-8 mm at 800C. This is far too low a concentration for it to be a kinetically useful vapor phase reductant (the vapor could penetrate the passivating barrier film if there were only enough of it). The vapor pressure of magnesium is a billion times higher, 10 mm, at 800C and it may prove to be a useful adjuvant to the aluminum reductant. Try starting out by supplementing the aluminum with a SMALL amount (10%?) of magnesium and see if this makes the reaction start more smoothly at lower temperatures and reliably go further towards completion. I look forward hearing of further experimental adventures from you!
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 14:38

Thank you Neodymium, for your interest and suggestions. At some time I may give them a try. Right now I need a good, long rest from the labors of phosphorus research.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 15:07

I hate to pose an OT question, but it is phosphorus-related. I scraped the red P off of some matchboxes after a soak in some acetone. However, it looks like paper particles are still a major contaminant. Is there any way I can remove these, leaving only the P behind?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Erbium_Iodine_Carbon
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 10:13

I was thinking of a relatively low temperature method of phosphorus production that could be done in standard glass equipment. I'm not certain if it will work and I don't currently have the means to try.

The idea would be to first produce phosphine and then oxidising it to phosphorus using a halogen.

The first step would be to dehydrate phosphonic acid (HP(OH)2 / H3PO3) (also called phosphorous acid, purchased as a pool chemical) and then decompose it at 200 degrees C to phosphoric acid and phosphine.

The second step would be to lead the phosphine into either a solution of iodine in varsol or KI3 in water. I don't know if iodine is a strong enough oxidising agent to oxidise the PH3 but I've read it can oxidise H2S to elemental sulfur so I'm assuming the same can be done for phosphorus. The reaction would be:

2 PH3 + 3 I2 --> 2 P + 6 HI

The idea being the phosphorus would precipitate out of solution.

However, one problem is that P and I react to form PI3 which then decomposes in water to form H3PO3 and HI. Can anyone think of a way to avoid this? Wikipedia says PI3 is usually made from both elements in solution but the reaction might happen before the phosphorus can precipitate. The fact that this procedure works with sulfur is that there are no stable compounds of sulfur and iodine.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2013 at 20:12

After reading the summary of this thread, I'm tempted to try the microwave reaction between H3PO4 and C. I do have questions, as always:
-I have ground-glassware. Will this be suitable as a container? For example, a flask connected to a stoppered distillation adapter connected to a (receiving) flask?
-What sources of carbon are adequate for this? For example, if I took some burnt plants, leached out the soluble stuff, and dried the result, is that an acceptable carbon source for this reaction?
-Most conventional pathways to P from phosphates mention SiO2 in use. Will the glass fulfill this purpose, and if so, to what extent?
-Is an inert atmosphere necessary to prevent phosphorus oxides?

aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2013 at 01:40

Could I make an uneducated suggestion here? If the purpose is to liquify the charge with a high phosphorus content, why not use ammonium dihydrogen phosphate? It would melt fairly low (I used to use it to generate fairly dry NH3 in glass) and it forms a polyphosphoric acid glass. The NH3 would sweep the oxygen (and anything else out of the reaction vessel in short order and could be collected in water/HCl prior to the main event.

Even Nicodem, on p16 of this blown-out thread suggested ammonium phosphates

Quote:
Maybe something too obvious, but shouldn't ammonium phosphate react with aluminium powder to give phosphorous at proper conditions? This would make the use of silica unnecessary and the reaction should proceed at lower temperatures than with any of the sodium (poly)phosphates. The gasses forming in the first stage of calcination (A; where aluminium polyphosphate forms) should purge the air from the reaction vessel protecting the mixture from oxygen. Since the reaction enthalpy of the reduction stage (B) is considerably higher than with the analogous reaction of sodium phosphates, no additional "acid" like SiO2 or Al2O3 should be necessary to smooth the reaction.

A: 3 (NH4)H2PO4 + Al => Al(PO3)3 + 3/2 H2 + 3 NH3 + 3 H2O (at < 300°C ?)

B: Al(PO3)3 + 5 Al => 3 P + 3 Al2O3 (at >900°C ?)

Or was this already tried and is not working?

Now monoammonium (ammonium dihydrogen phosphate) melts in the Microwave to give copious amounts of NH3 fumes and a polyphosphoric acid glass (due to expansion differences it will break just about whatever you melt it in). What would happen if carbon were added to the mixture prior to melting? Would we get evolution of carbon oxides, and reduced phosphorus? I've got an old MW now, I'll scrape up the $$$$ to buy some soluble MAP crystals online and trial it (I just have to work out how to push the fumes into water/HCl to stop the neighbours freaking out).

PS Although, I must confess, I'm much more interested in Phosphine production for both PCl5 and P2O5/POCl3 production via Len's writings.

[Edited on 20-4-2013 by aliced25]

[Edited on 21-4-2013 by aliced25]

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2013 at 11:09

And yet, H3PO4 melts at a stunning 40 degrees C - 20 if it's the hydrate. Much better for microwave purposes. (And fortunately, I happen to have a spare microwave).
Still, I need some experienced advice on this - I'm not too willing to go charging into a reaction scheme without knowing what'll happen.
Anyone ever done the 'microwave route' before?

aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2013 at 01:20

What? To polyphosphoric acid from Ammonium Dihydrogen Phosphate? Too many times to count. My suggestion, get a cheap quartz container/crucible because the fucker is likely to shatter when cooling (I've lost some expensive cookware).* The polyphosphoric acid glass is probably able to be ball-milled or just broken up into a fine powder.

I wonder how it would go in the Tarbutton et al experiment, mix the powder with NaCl in a steel can, with a steel pipe leading out of it (as a condenser) and collect what comes over. According to Len1 (and Tarbutton, et al) the reaction gives POCl3 in good yield, so I'd be VERY interested in seeing what happens with polyphosphoric acid.

* Also consider how to extract the fumes from the MW reaction, I've got a little rotary-vane pump and am considering running it at just enough pressure to pull the fumes through a small outlet hole in the MW into an acid solution, as a trap before the pump. As long as the air is being sucked into the MW (ie. it is at just under 1atm), the only escape route for fumes is through the trap.

[Edited on 21-4-2013 by aliced25]

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
 Pages:  1  ..  41    43    45  ..  60

Go To Top