Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: ScienceMadness: the Next Generation?
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

cool.gif posted on 18-1-2016 at 06:34
ScienceMadness: the Next Generation?

Why not, from now on and in the coming years, turn SM into a centre of learning (as well as of course a discussion forum, its main purpose)?

By creating a number of educational stickied threads on various chemistry subjects from theories (e.g. “Brønsted–Lowry acid-base theory”) to practical lab techniques (e.g. “practical filtration”) members would have an interactive source of education/information right here.

SM already has a number of posts/threads that rank high in Google and well-formed educational resources would add to these and attract more members.

What say you?

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 06:57

Funny. Today i was wondering about a single thread with just detailed and illustrated preparation/procedures.

No discussion possible (therefore spam free) just the actual preps with a formatted title to include the Key words so it can be found easily via google.

e.g.
Phosphoric acid, purification, calcium oxide, sulphuric acid
Phosphoric acid, synthesis, <list of reagents>
<insert name here>, purification, recrystallisation

add in your idea and we get :-

Brønsted–Lowry, acid-base theory
Brønsted–Lowry, acid-base example systhesis
(would need a subtitle or a unique thread linking to the above detailing what the product & reagents were)

Kind of a Vogel NG 2016.

The difficulty of indexing and searching had me thinking of a separate website altogether, however a single locked & sticky thread here would be far better - let google do the indexing.

The synths could be submitted a a normal post, discussed, verified, edited etc then the 1 complete post snipped, joined and retitled (hopefully that is not difficult to do).

Finding a detailed and illustrated method to achieve something would be enormously useful, also much quicker than rifling through a half-metre high stack of lab notes.

diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inconherent

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 07:39

Let me refine it a bit further - behind each prep, include links as footnotes, and crosslink related procedures on youtube, kanacademy and prepchem. Be the LinkenUberDump of synthesis

Enjoying second childhood with REAL chemistry set.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 07:41

Quote:
What say you?

Go for it I say, blogfast ─ scimad is already on its way to becoming something of a learning centre and accelerating the process can only be a good thing and besides, just about everyone can benefit from a well-ordered section on lab techniques . . .

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 08:42

To learn is why I originally came here. More of the same can only be a good thing.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 08:49

I think that it's a great idea, it will help continue some of the current long running threads we have such as the Quantum Mechanics/Organic Chemistry thread.

I, for one, would be willing to volunteer my time both in contributing material and helping to organize and verify the quality of the material posted.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 09:33

This would tie in nicely with zts's Wiki pages.

Crosslink between this 'All Chemistry Knowledge' thread and the Wiki, and vice versa.

I'll happily photo and document some synths for gdflp to verify the quality of ;)

Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 09:37

Do it.

I'm always looking for video ideas for my YouTube channel, so I would be happy to volunteer as a verification laboratory for syntheses - a "synthesis checker". I also have many existing videos that I would be happy to provide writeups for if it would help. Feel free to use any of the content on the Topical Compendium of EM.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 09:49

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  

I, for one, would be willing to volunteer my time both in contributing material and helping to organize and verify the quality of the material posted.

Which brings me to my next 'question''.

Help! Volunteers wanted!

:(:D;)

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 09:54

I'd be happy to both contribute to and read the results of this endeavor. Hit me up if you need any help.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 10:03

I think that adding in quality utoob links would also be excellent.

OK. Need to get the ball rolling i guess.

All it really needs to begin is a single post explaining and documenting a process, principle or whatever, optionally with photos, links to utoob, an SM thread, a Wiki entry, other references.

If it's good enough, it gets a Title formatted for google to find it easily and made sticky.

We ask the mods nicely to Lock that thread and make it sticky.

All following submissions get added to that thread by a mod, which being locked, cannot get all shitted up with random crap from users/abusers.

Thread needs a name. How about 'Know it All' ?

[Edited on 18-1-2016 by aga]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 10:12

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

If it's good enough, it gets a Title formatted for google to find it easily and made sticky.

We ask the mods nicely to Lock that thread and make it sticky.

All following submissions get added to that thread by a mod, which being locked, cannot get all shitted up with random crap from users/abusers.

I prefer fully open threads, like the QM/QC thread, this way educators can organise assignments, quizzes , 'exams', 'cliff hangers' etc to keep it interactive and sticky. Occasional spam/rubbish can be moderated out by mods. Modest amounts of silly banter aren't a problem to me.

[Edited on 18-1-2016 by blogfast25]

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 10:21

Now the inevitable question arises, where to place it? It could go in Chemistry in General, but then any orgo info is misplaced. Perhaps that's the best place for it though. Any thoughts?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 10:28

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
Now the inevitable question arises, where to place it? It could go in Chemistry in General, but then any orgo info is misplaced. Perhaps that's the best place for it though. Any thoughts?

I think that would sort itself out. Orga to orga, basically... Some of it could go in Beginnings, I don't see that as a problem, as much of it will be addressing beginners.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 10:36

In any case I volunteer for:

* acids and bases (BL theory)
* solubility products/ionic solubility and related phase diagrams
* general equilibrium theory, collision theory, Arrhenius and related concepts

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 11:03

Chem in General fits best.

Banter can be done in the threads surrounding the Single post that ends up in the 'All Spark' thread (we still need to think of a name for it).

Banter in the QM thread is great, although i'm 100% certain that a lot of it would not appeal to a visitor looking for say Enthalpy explained.

On the other hand it would be a USP in that it would show real people were discussing it rather than just a concise statement of facts.

Oh, Polvers, i got in just after bloggers, so 20% on advertising revenues ok ?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 11:21

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Chem in General fits best.

Banter can be done in the threads surrounding the Single post that ends up in the 'All Spark' thread (we still need to think of a name for it).

I don't see the point in merging multiple subjects into one single thread, if that's what you mean. It'd be like merging almost randomly some existing threads.

Also, when it comes to Google, their bots tend to rank individual relevant posts, not threads. To help with ranking, each post can be given a relevant title (e.g. 'Weak Acids Titration').

Well-written, informative and relevant posts tend also to get linked to by those who find and like them, which in turn boosts their PageRank.

What could be useful is to create a meta-thread that simply references all 'educational threads' as a kind of table of content of that content. A site map of those parts of the site.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 12:06

Ask Polverone-

You do know about the existing publication & pre publication areas?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/forumdisplay.php?fid=20

http://www.sciencemadness.org/member_publications/

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 12:34

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

You do know about the existing publication & pre publication areas?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/forumdisplay.php?fid=20

http://www.sciencemadness.org/member_publications/

Yes. And some of these proposed threads could be referenced there for sure.

But I'm specifically referring to educational threads on various specific 'theoretical' subjects, explained with the beginner in mind, as well as threads on various generic separation/work-up/lab procedures.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 12:47

Prepublication is pretty much It, except it is vulnerable to polluting comments.

Like or not, in this age PDFs don't hack it as well as a video or a photo.

Attention spans are now much shorter then the, er, the thingy, the whatever i said, or he said, and there's a Sparrow video ! Amazing. I liked the video of the dog on a skateboard.

We need zts to weigh in here.

Old farts (=30+) are no experts on current thinking.

For all those moaning about a mod not being at least 100 yet, here is an area where he is far far better qualified than at least i am, and i supect many others.

As a Venture it definitely Needs input from the SM community for the Content.

Exactly HOW it is presented is a question.

Pre-pub does not seem to rank much on google.

[Edited on 18-1-2016 by aga]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 14:38

Maybe a tutorials subforum. You start a tutorial with an appropriate title. Post your stuff. Manage questions and answers. Post quizzes or whatever if you like.

Some tutorials on elementary techniques as well as elementary theories would be good too. How to set up a distillation rig. Recrystallisation. Finding melting point. Titration. That kind of thing.

For preparations, perhaps also include a submission to www.prepchem.com
I am finding this a great resource.

My two cents -- prepublication is under-used. Mostly because the standard is higher than many can attain. There is some stunning reading in there. It is an eventual goal for me to come up with something novel that is worthy of posting there. I have an idea brewing... one that I think will be highly useful to a lot of users if I can pull it off. I doubt it truly makes the grade for prepub though. But I would not hesitate to put it in a "tutorials and preparations" subforum.

Maybe as a next step, someone could compile a list of current threads that would fit nicely into a new subforum. Then we can put the idea by Polverone and he can shift them there. If this is followed by a number of good simple tutorial threads and a couple of preps then we would have a really solid start.

[edit] clarification.
See Blogfast25's question below.

[Edited on 18-1-2016 by j_sum1]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 14:50

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

Maybe as a next step, someone could compile a list of current threads that would fit nicely into a new forum. Then we can put the idea by Polverone and he can shift them there. If this is followed by a number of good simple tutorial threads and a couple of preps then we would have a really solid start.

New forum? That's not my idea at all.

Or did you mean parking the threads in new subforum like:

Fundamentals > Tutorials

Is that what you're suggesting?

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 14:53

Sorry. Subforum.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 14:56

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Sorry. Subforum.

Oh... OK.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 15:04

For this to work it needs to be simple, with pictures/video and easy for google to index.

Complicate it in any way and it will fail.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top