Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Potassium Chlorate cell issue
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 06:48

I've used the exact same container for a reaction vessel before. Smaller is better for keeping the temps up where they need to be. Looks good, a small 50ml beaker of KCl set in between the electrodes is good MMO insurance. As the KCl levels drop in the electrolyte, it will dissolve out of the beaker. Just keep the beaker full and you will not have low chloride problems with your anode. Always use distilled or DI water. Hard water contamination can kill your MMO as quick as low chloride.
Blake0577
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 15:48

I do always use distilled water. Walmart Great Value brand at $0.89 a gallon it's too cheap and convenient not to. I really wish I would have added a port for adding water and/or a tube going to the bottom for air agitation.

KClO3 has reached the electrodes and I can't see the bottom of them anymore. At what point is best to stop and collect yield? Suppose I could stop now, let the container cool in some ice water over night (I've been using an old Igloo cooler for this), collect yield, modify the cell, and restart.
Blake0577
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 19:53

I didn't feel like filtering anything tonight so I decided just to add 100g of KCl and collect tomorrow. I took the latch off and nothing would move. The electrodes, mostly the cathode were stuck. I finally got it loose and dumped the cell to figure out what was going on. Of all possible outcomes I didn't expect this to happen lol. Hopefully somebody can learn something from this especially me. The KClO3 is stuck in the bottom like concrete. I literally could drill a hole in it. Thoughts?

image.jpeg - 1.6MB image.jpeg - 1.3MB

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by Blake0577]
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 00:35

Dump fresh distilled hot water in and do your first crystallization. It is soluble so it will come loose once it starts dissolving.
Blake0577
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 15:49

Why lol??

image.jpeg - 1.9MB
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 16:51

Still need to wash the KCL out of it so, recrystallize.
Blake0577
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 17:03

Yeh I will I'm just amazed at the big chunks.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top