Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solidarity
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 14:27
Solidarity

Prompted by the recent reddit/Zephyr incident, one thing stands out : the Solidarity of the reddit members in their attack on Zephyr, and the Solidarity in support of Zephyr from the SM community.

Whilst being sure that the reddit people were being stupid and nasty en-masse, the fact remains that they collectively united in what they probably saw as an assault on their little virtual world.

Jeez. If i spent years getting trained, then saw an 'amateur' chemist with access to more/better equipment/reagents than i had, i'd be really annoyed as well !

Now, SM is Our Collective little virtual world, and i see the entire burden of responsibility has been put on the mods to 'repel boarders' as it were.

As i see it, we are plagued with trolls, bandits, balrogs, ashmoors and even tax collectors on this board, yet they get fed every single time.

A good thing to do would be for the SM populace to report posts they see as being utter crap as soon as they see them, to save mod's time.

The Key to this would be to report, yet say absolutely nothing at all in response in the forum other than 'reported', in order to discourage the attention seeking trollers.

I have been guilty of engaging with them, which just gets more of the same shit day after day.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2016 at 18:32

sounds good to me and also i would like to add another form of solidarity.members here do a great job of discouraging trolls and careless amateur chemists.i would really like to see the seasoned members here warn more about safety and proper disposal of chemicals.energetics gets plenty of warnings and precautions but i would like to see it more in the toxic chemical posts.no one else is gonna provide safety for us and taking care of our members would make this place even more special.even if they are stubborn and obnoxious amateurs i think it will be better to protect them for their own good.it seems every one on reddit only unite when they are chumming.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 01:16

Agreed, safe disposal of waste material is something that should be more often talked about, especially the practical aspects (i.e. how to make X safe).

Mabus wrote a particularly excellent article on the subject in the SM wiki :-
http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Proper_dispos...
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 02:22

Well, I do a bit of reporting. Some trolls are obvious. I report these as spam which initiates the post deletion software we have here. It gets rid of them faster. Quite often the offending post disappears immediately after or even before the report goes through.

Others are a bit more ambiguous as to whether it s a new poster unfamiliar with the board or someone deliberately stirring. I report if I am suspicious. Occasionally I do a post-history search. But generally, extending a little grace is not a bad thing. If they are genuinely malicious they will be dispatched soon enough.

So much for the troll policy. On the matter of solidarity, I have always been impressed with the openness of the members of this board. And I am impressed with the way that people rally round one another when something goes wrong. It is a great little community -- quite possibly the best I have ever encountered online.

Yes, we should discuss clean-up and disposal more often. But that is probably a separate matter. The wiki is probably the best way to present and access this information -- then you can simply look up the chemical or procedure and see the hazards and clean-up options. An ongoing thread to discuss these -- something along the lines of the short answers thread or everyday chemistry thread would probably work too. Anyone care to start one?

crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 29-2-2016 at 05:57

I report trolls too.
I got an idea if it is possible to block ip adress of those who are trolling repatedly so they won't be able to register new account from their computer. Maybe I'm not first who came up with this or maybe it's imposible for some reason but I think it would be effective way to stop trolling.
And that offence of reddit users on Zephyr was really childish.
Shame on them!

[Edited on 29-2-2016 by crystal grower]

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
VIG
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 20:18

Quote: Originally posted by crystal grower  
I report trolls too.
I got an idea if it is possible to block ip adress of those who are trolling repatedly so they won't be able to register new account from their computer. Maybe I'm not first who came up with this or maybe it's imposible for some reason but I think it would be effective way to stop trolling.
And that offence of reddit users on Zephyr was really childish.
Shame on them!

[Edited on 29-2-2016 by crystal grower]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)

[Edited on 2-3-2016 by VIG]

Go To Top