Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: [RESEARCH] My interpretation of the Texas anti-glassware law
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 11:42

Ebay !

There's some good kits to be had ! I got several pieces/sets from ben0315 a couple of years back, and they're all still ok despite me abusing them (apart form the bits i smashed).

Like this :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Organic-Chemistry-Laboratory-Glass...:oegAAOSwxH1UBc8f

If you're thinking that you'll need other stuff, and have the available $, get a hotplate/stirrer as well, also a vac pump, buchner filter setup, stirbars, etc etc.

If you can also afford a Soxhlet, get one, and it can get used once, then stay put for a year or so just like mine ;)
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 16:13

On thing to keep in mind -

The Texas Administrative Code can be changed at any time by the Governor of Texas without any legislative approval required - all it takes is an executive order.

Since that part of the Administrative Code is not really law but really just enforcement policy, it's not clear to me that there would be any ex post facto protection if the code were changed.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 16:54

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
On thing to keep in mind -

The Texas Administrative Code can be changed at any time by the Governor of Texas without any legislative approval required - all it takes is an executive order.

Since that part of the Administrative Code is not really law but really just enforcement policy, it's not clear to me that there would be any ex post facto protection if the code were changed.

In that case, it wouldn't be too hard to get the glassware "law" repealed if a group of chemists, professional and amateur, in Texas got together to mass-email the senator. Who happens to be Ted Cruz, and he's quite busy right now.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 17:02

He's a U.S. senator - you'd want to contact the state congress about that. Or possibly the governor... although I don't see why a governor would want to ask a legislative body to take away some of his power, even if he's not planning on using it.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 17:12

Sorry, meant to say the governor Greg Abbott.

As much as I've been thinking of such a campaign from a society of texan chemists, it would be quite hard to find people to get on board. Most professional chemists don't take too kindly to home chemists. If you don't believe me, look at /r/chemistry on reddit. And they wouldn't be fond of any laws that encourage home chemistry. We'll at least have to wait until the presidential election is over, since it's taking most political attention. My plan would be to erect some political signs on the roadside, or flyers on poles, with an email for recruitment into a group and assembly.

What about a local district representative, what kind of power do they have?

Either way, just one person can't do shit, if you try emailing them yourself, they will likely send back an automated message and not take it seriously. it needs to be a group effort.

I just sent an email to the governor, asking if he's aware of this regulation, since the law is so obscure that many texas politicians probably don't even know about it. Hell, when I called DPS, the first guy had no idea what I was talking about, they had to call back the next day.

[Edited on 21-3-2016 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 18:32

I personally would not bother with signs over something like that. I'd just contact the ACS and local chemistry societies, perhaps speak with glassware companies about funding, circulate a petition, etc.... I don't know if there is any sort of referendum process in Texas, but a petition does count for something.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 18:33

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the problem with just getting the permit? So far as I know, it's free. If there's a requirement for locked storage, a closet door with a lock would probably be fine. Locked storage is a good idea anyway. The lab could be a backyard picnic bench by the water tap.

I've never bothered to get a permit up to this point, as I live in an apartment, and all of my chemistry is done at work (even the hobby stuff). I'm getting ready to move, hopefully to a house with some land. If I do, then I'll just get a permit and buy some stuff. I'd probably still use the glassware at work, but I'll see what I can learn about the process.

It sounds, in a roundabout way, that you're going through a lot of effort to avoid breaking any laws. Why not take all of that energy and channel it towards the minimal effort it would take to set up a lab and get a permit? The permit requirement isn't intended to keep you from buying glassware, home-school people do it all the time. It's intended to discourage those with a guilty conscience from secretly acting on their nefarious deeds. Do you have a guilty conscience? :cool::cool::cool:

I've mentioned it before, but before the home visit, just remove anything from the premises that resembles improperly-stored this or that, like that 5 gallon barrel of acetone that you have in your bedroom closet, or that kilo of sodium cyanide that you left on the kitchen counter. Plan out some innocuous experiments with your intended purchase, so that you're ready to provide examples of what you intend to do with your glassware. Plan on being friendly and agreeable with the kind officer. You want the visit to be very simple and uncomplicated. Don't start rambling about conspiracy theories, or how dumb you think the law is. And that's about it.

Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2016 at 20:20

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the problem with just getting the permit? So far as I know, it's free. If there's a requirement for locked storage, a closet door with a lock would probably be fine. Locked storage is a good idea anyway. The lab could be a backyard picnic bench by the water tap.

I've never bothered to get a permit up to this point, as I live in an apartment, and all of my chemistry is done at work (even the hobby stuff). I'm getting ready to move, hopefully to a house with some land. If I do, then I'll just get a permit and buy some stuff. I'd probably still use the glassware at work, but I'll see what I can learn about the process.

It sounds, in a roundabout way, that you're going through a lot of effort to avoid breaking any laws. Why not take all of that energy and channel it towards the minimal effort it would take to set up a lab and get a permit? The permit requirement isn't intended to keep you from buying glassware, home-school people do it all the time. It's intended to discourage those with a guilty conscience from secretly acting on their nefarious deeds. Do you have a guilty conscience? :cool::cool::cool:

I've mentioned it before, but before the home visit, just remove anything from the premises that resembles improperly-stored this or that, like that 5 gallon barrel of acetone that you have in your bedroom closet, or that kilo of sodium cyanide that you left on the kitchen counter. Plan out some innocuous experiments with your intended purchase, so that you're ready to provide examples of what you intend to do with your glassware. Plan on being friendly and agreeable with the kind officer. You want the visit to be very simple and uncomplicated. Don't start rambling about conspiracy theories, or how dumb you think the law is. And that's about it.

The issue with the permit is that you have to apply for a new one every time you want to make a new glassware purchase. Forgot one flask in your last order? Gotta file another permit, go through another inspection, and wait a month first. Combine that with the long shipping times that are typical of glassware companies, and life is just too short for all that patience.

Other problem is that you have to store the glassware in a fixed, locked cabinet that's attached to the garage wall or floor.

I say the best solution for a Texan is to have it shipped to a P.O. box outside of state. Does Laboy Glass ship to a P.O. box?

But now that I think about it, if you already have a locked cabinet, you can place the order at the same time that you get the permit, and the permit and glassware should arrive at the same time. Though you're technically supposed to order it after the permit.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 05:01

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
I say the best solution for a Texan is to have it shipped to a P.O. box outside of state. Does Laboy Glass ship to a P.O. box?
I say the best solution is to just order it to your house or P.O. box at your local office like any other normal human being would. The Oklahoma thing is so unnecessary. You're really going to drive what I'd assume is at least a couple hours every time you buy glassware?

Well, it's certainly not an option for me anyway, as it takes at least 5 hours to drive to another state from Austin in any direction... I'm closer to Mexico than I am to any other state.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 07:16

I'm in Texarkana, Arkansas area. Bring me $400 and I'll sell you everything I've got and happily order new stuff off eBay and DOUBLE my amount of glass.

*edit*

Drama Queen

[Edited on 3-21-2016 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 08:57

and wait a month first. Combine that with the long shipping times that are typical of glassware companies

Shipping China->USA is incredibly fast.

If you and i order stuff from Ebay today, they'll immediately put them both on a near supersonic plane destined for Dallas.

Yours will then get fast-tracked to your door by DHL. 1 week max.

Mine will then be sent via glacial action to the coast, where random sea currents will take it and eventually wash it up on the shores of Spain, at which point a beachcomber will pick it up and tie it to wandering donkey, which may or may not eventually wander within 50km radius of my house.

2 months is not unusual, depending on the donkey.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 09:28

^^^after they chinese remember that stuff to Iberia gets aged under a pile of turnips for 6 weeks. But yes, to US 10 days, tops.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 11:41

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I say the best solution is to just order it to your house or P.O. box at your local office like any other normal human being would. The Oklahoma thing is so unnecessary. You're really going to drive what I'd assume is at least a couple hours every time you buy glassware?

Well, it's certainly not an option for me anyway, as it takes at least 5 hours to drive to another state from Austin in any direction... I'm closer to Mexico than I am to any other state.

Well if you're reasonably close to the border, like me(1 hour away), then it's not a bad choice

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 12:00

So have you placed an order yet Cou ?

If not, what are the Plans and where have you got to with them ?

Also, when the glass arrives, what is first reaction you'll do with it ?
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2016 at 13:07

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
So have you placed an order yet Cou ?

If not, what are the Plans and where have you got to with them ?

Also, when the glass arrives, what is first reaction you'll do with it ?

I'm going to place 2 separate orders: The graduated cylinders and non-glassware metalware on Amazon to my house, and will have to take a trip to Oklahoma to get a P.O. box and then have Laboy Glass ship there. zts16 thinks the Oklahoma thing is unnecessary, but whatever relieves my paranoia of leaving glassware in the house is what's best.

First thing I will do is make a gas generator (3 necked flask w/ addition funnel, tube leading out that gas leaves) do stoichiometry to experiment with different concentrations of H2S in water solution, see which one is best for a "sprayable stink bomb" product, inspired by the success of this: http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-Mister/dp/B000OCEWGW/ref=lp_2595545011_1_1?srs=2595545011&ie=UTF8&qid=1458594406&sr=8-1. Yes I know H2S is toxic further above the smelling threshold.

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 04:02

Cou. After you've brought the glassware to Texas, how on earth are you going to prove where you picked it up?
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 04:30

Shipping documents to the PO Box I would assume.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 04:33

So all this fussing about the legality of glass, all just to spray solutions of H2S around to smell it and annoy others :S sigh.

Make a sulfur dioxide generator instead and bleach flowers and other coloured things!, before H2S anyways.

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 10:28

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
So all this fussing about the legality of glass, all just to spray solutions of H2S around to smell it and annoy others :S sigh.

Make a sulfur dioxide generator instead and bleach flowers and other coloured things!, before H2S anyways.

What about the guy who invented the "Liquid Ass Spray"? Are you gonna criticize him for spraying skatole and thiols all over the place, in the effort to find a perfect recipe?

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 10:35

Sure, it's kind of an annoying thing to do. Assuming having the right to spray compounds into others breathing air on purpose for fun.

H2S is toxic, and I am just concerned for your health and that of other people. Imagine having an accident and making far more of it than intended, it ends up bothering neighbors etc and just attracts negative attention. Something you are clearly very concerned about already.

Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 11:41

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
Assuming having the right to spray compounds into others breathing air on purpose for fun.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm not doing it "just for fun" at all. It's an effort to create a product that I can sell.

ParadoxChem126
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 12:01

That may not be a fantastic idea, from both a chemistry and business point of view. Hydrogen sulfide is very toxic, not to mention its ability to desensitize the nasal receptors. You may be exposed to lethal levels of hydrogen sulfide without being aware. If you are new to practical chemistry, this is not a good idea for a first experiment, as it takes experience to be able to handle these materials safely.

Also, this would not be a product you should sell. It would be essentially as dangerous as selling solutions of hydrogen cyanide. Commercially they use thiols and organosulfur compounds because they are significantly less likely to be a large poison hazard.

I suggest starting with more "scientifically oriented" experiments. Perhaps experiments with metals and ions, or simpler organic chemistry experiments?
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 12:01

You are trying to outmarket an already successful product but using a more toxic alternative, gotcha. I'm not trying to start a fight either but I am done with this pseudo-trolling.

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 12:12

Amateur chemistry is not meant to be competitive or money making! It could certainly lead to discoveries and innovations though. You can make lots of unique yet completely non moneymaking compounds! It's about learning and enjoying the process of doing so. It's not like making a feces scented spray will make you rich anyways.

Start slow, enjoy and respect the hobby. Chances are it will not make you financially rich. Not many of us do amateur chemistry for profit, only to satisfy our hunger for science.

Edit: Cou deleted a post that makes this response out of context.

[Edited on 22-3-2016 by Mailinmypocket]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 13:22

This has gone too far Cou.

So the Texas stuff was all bogus crap just to garner attention as well ?

If i were a mod ...
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top