Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: chemigrams? Term for pretty filter-paper based chemistry?
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 13-3-2016 at 15:43
chemigrams? Term for pretty filter-paper based chemistry?

A vivid memory I have from when I was a 5-year old was when the research institute my dad worked at had a visitors day and I was allowed to do a very fascinating experiment that stimulated my interests in chemistry. I think my own kids will find it similarly interesting but surprisingly, the great internet doesn't seem to have any information about it. It was too long ago, and don't remember enough details and haven't seen anything like it ever since. I must be using the wrong search terms and I was hoping some of you may have an idea what I am talking about and help me on my way with a few good search terms.

The basic idea is to take a large sheet of filter paper, A4 or similarly sized, and apply solutions of different chemicals in the center, drop by drop. The solutions will be absorbed by the paper and spread out. Using certain combinations of chemicals in specified amounts this can produce very beautiful patterns of colours and shapes, as a result of the concentration gradients, complexes and precipitates that form.

The closest example that I could find online is this:

11-ultimate-capital-ngbk-maas1.jpg - 107kB

Which was made by an artist using solutions of silver nitrate and sodium hydroxide.

So, my main question is: does any of you recognise what I talking about and can make a suggestion to help me find more information?

[Edited on 13-3-2016 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
chemplayer..
Awesome

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2016 at 17:56

Very topical. We just did a Cezanne repro using copper (I) oxide and nitric acid (to oxidise to sky blue) and hydrogen peroxide (to oxidise to copper (II) oxide to get the different ochre tones).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVD4fjs8Umk

We just called it 'Filter Paper Art'.

Go To Top