Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: matter to energy
xxxxx
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 07:33
matter to energy

I was wondering if there is (or was) any work being done towards the direct conversion of matter to energy on a commercial scale.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 07:49

Nuclear electrical plant work on that principle.
Fission --> mass loss and heat energy transmitted to water that boils off and allow turbines to turn generating electricity...

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 08:07

Philou, take a look at the author's OTHER thread starting questions... This is one of the boards longest running "pot stirrer troll" handles. Not as overtly bat shit crazy as some, but still!

His next move, if any, probably will be to remind us that that's not "direct coversion", whatever such a thing would be. And if you somehow answer that, he will explain that he doesn't understand the explanation. Frankly, I would call a fusion bomb direct conversion... Directly converting a small weight of matter into the desired end result (destruction).

I particularly liked the "please ID the random cactus I supposedly just ate out in the dessert for no apparent good reason by my alleged psychedellic experience" thread from this same user ID.

Oh well, maybe someone really is working on direct matter annihilation plants and will take some time off to post full details?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 12:10

Gazumped again. Bugger.

I made some coding efforts to identify folks by their posting behaviours, which circumvents all that tedious IP checking etc.

Nothing under the Sun is new :-

http://www.europapress.es/andalucia/noticia-disenan-escaner-...

Aimed at organised crime, yet the principle is exactly the same, and they beat me to it by a mile.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 13:47

Wouldnt a romance between matter and anti matter be considered "direct conversion" to energy?. Let us tame nuclear fusion first, then we'll talk ;)
Otherwise, yeah, the question made me laugh :)

Though threatening someone with a matter to energy converter would sound almost as good as some lines in my favorite Sci-fi movies.

"Restore the Spice production...or you will live out your life in a pain amplifier!"
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 14:29

This conversion is commonly being used everywhere. In fact, there is no other way. All energy has mass.
Your battery weighs ever so slightly less when it is empty. The coal burned in a power plant weighs a tiny bit more than the coal and oxygen combined.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 14:40

E=mc<sup>2</sup> ring a bell anywhere ?

To my dumfuk mind that means matter accellerated to the speed of light squared is Energy, yet c is the max speed possible.

Nobody likes that though, so i invented agaspace, only to find that Hilbert had much the same idea many years earlier.

Edit:

... apart from the necessity for hilbert space to be bounded, or it dunt work.

Difference between useful maths equations and wild speculation i guess.

[Edited on 14-3-2016 by aga]
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 15:58

I don't know about commercial scale but at the center of many galaxies it is happening on an interstellar scale. Practical method: take one black hole, add matter. Please use PPE while adding matter to a black hole.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 15-3-2016 at 04:10

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
I don't know about commercial scale but at the center of many galaxies it is happening on an interstellar scale. Practical method: take one black hole, add matter. Please use PPE while adding matter to a black hole.

You forgot..."And please do a selfie while doing it...and send it to us before you enter the BH (Black Hole not Bitch) horizon" :D

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 15-3-2016 at 04:17

Has this tosser ever posted a single follow-up to his own threads? All I can see is thread after thread with poorly formulated questions and then nothing...

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-3-2016 at 04:34

Quote: Originally posted by Fulmen  
Has this tosser ever posted a single follow-up to his own threads? All I can see is thread after thread with poorly formulated questions and then nothing...

Yeah. That's why I didn't participate in this thread.

Oh crap!

Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 16-3-2016 at 04:03

I'm not advocating using the ban-hammer for every infraction, but perhaps we could put a "drive-by poster" warning on some users?

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.

Go To Top