Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reasonably priced EGTA source?
DistractionGrating
Hazard to Self

Mood: Precipitated

[*] posted on 15-3-2016 at 20:36
Reasonably priced EGTA source?

Subject says it all. I know about Sigma-Aldrich, at $57 for 10 grams, and other vastly more expensive sources. Does anybody know of a source that beats Sigma-Aldrich? From their reputation it shouldn't be that hard, but I can't find any other source aside from Alibaba.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2016 at 03:59

Strem sells it for $44/25g, a few others ar even cheaper. Search Google for both EGTA and the CAS number and there are many vendors.
DistractionGrating
Hazard to Self

Mood: Precipitated

[*] posted on 16-3-2016 at 09:55

Thank you. I should have figured that out. I usually don't need help doing the Google.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 16-3-2016 at 17:26

Strem seems like an interesting source. I tried ordering from Acros and got referred to either Fisher - which died on the page or VW&R- no thanks.. I don't like getting called on by reps. I worked for a company that had an account with VWR and they are too big and corporate for small business. They do have good microscopes but the salesman tax is about 30%.

[Edited on 17-3-2016 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 16-3-2016 at 18:18

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
I worked for a company that had an account with VWR and they are too big and corporate for small business.

I don't think that's accurate. I work for a company with four people and we primarily order from VWR.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2016 at 18:28

Fisher owns Acros now, so that is not too surprising that they would refer you to them. And Alfa, Aeser, Avacado and Lancaster are all one big company now, which I believe is also owned by Fisher now. So they and Aldrich (Aldrich, Sigma, Fluka, and a number of other companies that they have bought out) control most of the market now.

Other smaller companies are Carolina Biologics, Oakwood, Matrix Scientific, Combiblocks, and ChemImpex. But most will still require some sort of business or academic credentials to buy, but not all, so only for certain things. But many industrial and cleaning supply companies sell certain chemicals as well. I know a few local ones as well as larger companies like Grainger and McMaster Carr. But if you search by CAS number and/or name, you often will find the best sources. Names can be spelled many ways, often even hyphenation can mess up a search. CAS numbers work best inside quotes, "12345-67-8" instead of 12345-67-8, which will often create a date or math problem.

Go To Top