Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Portable handheld emp device
Sciencemasta
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 11:48
Portable handheld emp device

I'm trying to make an emp device just to experiment with my electronics and I was wanting some tips to help me out
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 12:03

Did you do any searching yourself, or any theoretical work as to how it may be possible?

A quick Google search found many how-to guides. I can not personally speak for their efficacy.

http://m.instructables.com/id/Handheld-EMP-device/
http://m.wikihow.com/Build-an-EMP-Generator

The list goes on.

[Edited on 22-3-2016 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 14:01

@Bot0nist: why the zero? Are you a botanist? Are you versed in systematics? I routinely consult Flora of the PNW, Hitchcock et al.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 21:31

I am not, but I enjoy identifying local plants and flowers as a hobby. The username was more related to my job in a greenhouse. Very repetitive and precise manipulations, like snipping and prepping 2000 cutting for rooting, removing all dead leaves from orders to be shipped, etc. It can really start to feel robotic. Hence the "0" separating "bot," as in robot. Silly, I know.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Science is my middle name
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 21:39

If you take a moment to think you will realize that in order to make it powerful enough to do anything your going to need a LOT of DC power. I would say start with two 6 volt batteries wired in a parallel. Now on to creating the actual electromagnetic pulse there are a number of ways to come at it. The first that comes to mind is 2 extremely powerful neodymium magnets repelling each other and when a high enough current passes through the magnets both become strong enough electromagnets to push each other's magnetic field outward in a horizontal wave. Using a capacitor would be able to store enough of a charge with the output being rapidly released to achieve this momentarily.
I wonder what its effect on plasma would be. On radio waves/ microwaves. What about in the other side of the spectrum? X-rays, gamma rays?
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
22-11-2023 at 20:09

Go To Top