Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Missing persons
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 09:09

I sure wish garage chemist and Len1 would come out of early retirement. I worship these home chemists.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-2-2018 at 15:34
deltaH

Does anyone have contact details for deltaH? I want to ask some questions about a project he was undertaking. Unfortunately, my only contact was through these boards.

U2U me if you have anything to share.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-2-2018 at 02:04

Thanks. A couple of U2Us and I am in touch.
This board is awesome!

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 07:16

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
I know that Organikum is still alive but unable to visit the forum at present. I saw watson.fawkes in person less than a month ago at a space conference. He just doesn't visit here any more because he felt that it was distracting him from tasks he wanted to spend more time on.

I agree with Rosco that a number of cases are likely due to age catching up with members; that seems the most likely explanation for quicksilver's abrupt disappearance. I miss not_important. I don't know if he was old enough for that explanation to be most likely in his case.

i only opened this thread so i could spew out that i miss not_important. Glad someone else feels the same.

Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 26-3-2018 at 01:04

I miss myst, he had a great channel. He tended to sound a little down though. I assume Robert Bruce Thompson probably has a account on this, just doesn't want people pestering him so has it under a pseudonym.
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2018 at 23:28

Quote: Originally posted by UC235  
Quote: Originally posted by APO  
Kristofvagyok hasn't been mentioned.

He still is actively posting on http://labphoto.tumblr.com/

Since he seemed to mostly be here to share photos I can imagine him losing interest quickly. Chemistry is his job, not a hobby.

Is there any other way of contacting him? ( I already u2u'd and I don't want to make a tumblr account).I want to take part in his daily/weekly synthesis challenges-http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=25540#...
also, what happened to chemosynthesis ?

[Edited on 1-4-2018 by CuReUS]
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2018 at 09:15

Is anyone in touch with Panache? I sent him a parcel a month ago and it has just been "returned to sender".
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 25-8-2018 at 11:03

Radium212: I recently discovered that Robert Bruce Thompson sadly passed away in January this year from heart complications.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-10-2018 at 14:33

JJay posted this in another thread. I thought it was better here.
Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I want to know what happened to Praxichys. Surely someone on this board has his contact information....

[edit] adding Tex's reply.
Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I want to know what happened to Praxichys. Surely someone on this board has his contact information....
I do, he's fine, just busy.

Also a rather sad update
Quote: Originally posted by Radium212  
I assume Robert Bruce Thompson probably has a account on this, just doesn't want people pestering him so has it under a pseudonym.

https://www.journalnow.com/obituaries/thompson-robert-bruce/...
https://youtu.be/L3JWfTWCCBw?t=77

[Edited on 9-10-2018 by j_sum1]
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 9-10-2018 at 16:27

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
The WiZ had an incredible LIBRARY to back up that memory of his. an omnivorous collection of energetic materials related publications, from long before the internet and up to this year, he rat holed away everything he found online or printed, and had several searches configured to find MORE running constantly.

If he has truly passed, someone needs to secure, curate and preserve Donald's archives ASAP. I have a post in whimsy regarding this as well, made about 5 minutes before I discovered this thread-

I'd begin to formulate some reply to many threads only to find he'd just said it.

Some or all of his estate including books was sold at auction Nov 4 of last year. Hopefully they found loving homes.

...a certain scene in About Schmidt comes to mind even so.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
The jersey rebel
Hazard to Self

Mood: dealing with excessive change

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 13:28

I'm primarily concerned about Praxies (hope I spelled that correctly) tbh. He seems like the most concerning disappearance given the context of being in the middle of a very dangerous experiment and seemingly not having posted anything online since, coupled with the lack of knowledge of his fate.

The worst aspect of any investigation is the unknown. The only thing that scares me is what I don't know because that's what has consistently harmed me physically and mentally growing up.

if I do find anything, I absolutely will share it with you guys for at least to give closure. been trying to see what I can find. but since I must make assumptions, like doug being a shorthand for douglas, and having many blanks in his bio, it's super difficult to get any info in the person search or god for bid the obituaries.

Water is wet, fire is hot, I'm a jersey born rebel

AKA the roguemillenial on other sites.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 15:31

I believe that Texium has direct contact with Praxychus and that he is ok: just busy.

He had plans to make his YT vids regular -- one per month. But he also bought a house and got married. Such things can easily make for a change in priorities and it is easy to see how a hobby can take a back seat.

He is missed: both here and on youtube. I too hope that he is ok, but am not overly worried. It would be nice if he would check in.

Perhaps Texium can add a couple of details if he knows anything that can be shared.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 21:49

Doug is fine.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more from him here in the (hopefully near) future.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 30-11-2018 at 15:51

Anyone in contact with violet sin? It's been a while since his last activity.
I am guessing that work and a young family is keeping him busy.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 08:55

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Anyone in contact with violet sin? It's been a while since his last activity.
I am guessing that work and a young family is keeping him busy.

Your right. Last U2U I got from him was 21May.

I miss our Drunk, aga.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-9-2019 at 15:20

Feels like Christmas.
Polverone, ave369 and Praxichys all posted in the last 12 hours.

:D

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2019 at 13:12

I hope Praxichys (Doug's Lab) can start to upload vids again:(

Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 30-9-2019 at 09:22

That lab no longer exists, unfortunately. I ran out of time to make lab videos in mid 2018 while looking for a new house. We put some offers on a few in fall 2018 and closed on the new one in late Feb 2019, then moved in March. I have been busy completely renovating my old house to rent out.

However, the new place is on double-digit acreage and has an outbuilding which will be a dedicated lab, much like Ben Krasnow from Applied Science has. I have neither sold nor thrown anything away; it is all carefully packed into boxes and my intent is to rebuild once I have settled a bit.

There are a few caveats. The first is that the internet is awful. The only option for me is 3Mbps DSL, which means 1.5 on a good day and basically no internet on high traffic nights. I was promised 12Mbps DSL or a 100Mbps terrestrial wireless link but the wireless has no signal on my property even with a 60ft mast and the DSLAM at the end of the street has been saturated for a decade... so 3Mbps it is. It is physically impossible for me to upload to YouTube without putting the vids on a jump drive and taking them to my parent's house, which is a bummer.

The second is that my hobbies are changing quite a bit. I am installing 24 fruit trees and a substantial vegetable and herb garden. I will be getting bees and chickens in the spring. I have a tractor now and I am building a shooting range on the property. Despite insisting that I would never again buy a fixer-upper, I somehow got talked into it again and I am redoing the master bedroom and a few of the bathrooms in the house as well. We are planning for a spring wedding and I'll have a kid a year later, so there is a lot going on that has to take precedence over lab stuff.

Rest assured my interest in chemistry has not diminished and I am always looking for ways to incorporate chemistry into all of my hobbies. I would very much like to expand my YouTube channel to include a lot of these other things but scope of what I am working on even without filming and editing is daunting to say the least. In the meantime, I plan to remain a presence on ScienceMadness and maybe do some basic preps here and there.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 30-9-2019 at 09:37

Country living is a good tradeoff for poor internet. I had the same situation, with only 1Mbps DSL available. I still wouldn't have moved back into town for anything.

As it turns out I hit the broadband internet lottery. A year after I moved to the country, our electric co-op started running fiber, and now we have fiber-to-the-house, with symmetrical speeds up to 1Gbps. Might want to ask your power company about it.

Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 30-9-2019 at 10:29

I am beginning to think so, too. I'm coming from a 150Mbps connection and by the last machine poll we were using around 650GB/mo, so there is a bit of culture shock about how we consume entertainment. A lot of that was 4k streaming because, hey, if the monitor supports it then why not? Now I can just go outside and play with heavy equipment and firearms instead of simulating it, which is nice, but I miss my ability to game or watch anything >480p.

The nights are very quiet and the stars are incredible out here. We had the wood stove going yesterday evening to put a couple degrees into the house and it smelled like dinner, wood smoke, and cedar. Now I just need to convince the wife to let me decorate with firearms and taxidermy. :D (Yeah, right!)

I never thought about talking to the the power company. I've had multiple chats with Comcast's engineering department about pulling fiber from town, even if I had to foot the bill over time. They're not interested, but perhaps the power company might be... I've sort of been banking on Elon Musk's Starlink coming into the picture in the next few years for low-latency satellite internet.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 30-9-2019 at 14:03

That's all good news, Praxichys. (Apart from the dial-up speed internet.) Thanks for the update.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2019 at 09:05

@Praxichys
Thank you sir for what videos you have done. I do understand a little bit about life taking us in a different direction.

I hope that someday in the future you will be able to do more videos but just know that the ones that you have already done are greatly appreciated.
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 17-10-2019 at 16:39

Anybody know what happened to Melgar......?

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 17-10-2019 at 18:52

No. I don't know.

Before he disappeared I know he was having employment issues and was also waiting for some cash awarded following a court case. His stuff was mostly in storage. His family sounds a bit messy with numerous complex relationships. And he did not have a permanent place to live.

All things considered, it is not highly surprising if he is absent for an extended period.

Edit
I should add that the above information is from memory and it is possible that I have recalled details incorrectly.

[Edited on 18-10-2019 by j_sum1]
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 17-10-2019 at 19:04

Oh, that kinda sucks actually...... I would just like to post that his presence is missed and I wish him the best and hope he gets to read this at some point.

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top