Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reduction at a Cathode
electrokinetic
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 23:09
Reduction at a Cathode

I'm trying to better my understanding of electrochemistry and there is a question I haven't been able to answer through research. It concerns the priority with which cations are reduced at the cathode in an electrochemical cell when there is more than one species present.

For example, take a solution containing copper and silver ions. I want to plate out all the silver but leave the copper in solution. Assume these are the only cations in solution. I insert two inert electrodes (graphite or Pt lets say) and apply a voltage to the solution. Which if any of the following staements is true about what could happen at the cathode:
  1. There could be a voltage/concentration combo at which all silver ions will be reduced, but never any of the copper ions.
  2. There could be a voltage/concentration combo at which all the silver ions are reduced first, and then all the copper ions.
  3. There could be a voltage/concentration combo at which both silver ions and copper ions are reduced at the same time, with the relative amount of each depending on the exact voltage and concentration.

For whichever one or ones are true, how would I go about finding the voltage and concentration combination that would do the trick? Thanks for your help.
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 23:44

FG18_05-01UN.JPG - 294kB

you need to read about this too

https://www.google.gr/#q=nernst+equation

[Edited on 28-3-2016 by gatosgr]

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 01:20

oh shit-kinetics!

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
electrokinetic
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by gatosgr  

you need to read about this too

https://www.google.gr/#q=nernst+equation

[Edited on 28-3-2016 by gatosgr]

So if I understand right, as long as the reduction potential for the silver is higher than that of the copper, after adjusting for concentration, then the silver should plate instead of the copper.

Go To Top