Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solvent for Spironolactone
shaft
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 21:47
Solvent for Spironolactone

I know some of you are like me, losing your hair.

I have been using topical Spironolactone cream, but I would like to prepare a lotion in a carrier like MCT coconut oil, or avocado oil etc.

I would rather stay away from polysorbate and propylene glycol and find something safer. Can you think of anything?
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 21:53

So, you want to make goop out of a slightly different goop containing the same active ingredient, but are scared of nontoxic-enough-to-be-GRAS food additives for topical use?
shaft
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2016 at 20:31

I won't be eating the stuff but slapping it on my head twice a day for years to come.

Systemic contact dermatitis from propylene glycol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18413114

http://www.the-dermatologist.com/content/focus-propylene-gly...

etc; etc; etc;

So my question remains, can you think of a safer alternative to carry Spironolactone through the skin?

Actually how about this specific question;

Will Spironolactone dissolve directly into Jojoba oil?

[Edited on 4-4-2016 by shaft]

[Edited on 4-4-2016 by shaft]
halogen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2016 at 11:38

Ah. I see. You are a dog.

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 4-4-2016 at 11:53

I would like to point out that propylene glycol is a major ingredient in Speed Stick, the deodorant I've been rubbing on myself daily for several years, and which is used safely by tens of millions of people worldwide. It's also possible to find cases of severe complications resulting from exposure to, for example, ibuprofen.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 04:54

Spironolactone would likely dissolve in nearly any oil you find, it is a steroid which should be soluble in oils/fats. If you really wan to grow hair you might also consider Propecia/Proscar or Avodart, both of which work better and have fewer side effects for men. In fact the side effects might include less acne and smaller prostate. Just don't don't use it if you are a pregnant women.

You should be aware that too high a dose can cause lots of side effects, including (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spironolactone):

"The most common side effect of spironolactone is urinary frequency. Other general side effects include ataxia, drowsiness, dry skin, and rashes. Because it reduces androgen levels and blocks androgen receptors, spironolactone can, in males, cause breast tenderness, gynecomastia, and physical feminization in general, as well as testicular atrophy, reversible infertility, and sexual dysfunction, including loss of libido and erectile dysfunction.[37] In females, spironolactone can cause menstrual irregularities and breast tenderness and enlargement, likely due to a combination of its progestogenic and indirect estrogenic actions.[12]

The most important potential side effect of spironolactone is hyperkalemia, which, in severe cases, can be life-threatening. Hyperkalemia in these patients can present as a non anion-gap metabolic acidosis. Spironolactone may put patients at a heightened risk for gastrointestinal issues like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, and gastritis. In addition, there has been some evidence suggesting an association between use of the drug and bleeding from the stomach and duodenum, though a causal relationship between the two has not been established.[38] Also, it has been shown to be immunosuppressive in the treatment of sarcoidosis.[39]

Spironolactone may rarely cause more severe side effects such as anaphylaxis, renal failure, hepatotoxicity, agranulocytosis, DRESS syndrome, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis.[40][41] It should also be used with caution in people with some neurological disorders, anuria, acute kidney injury, or significant impairment of renal excretory function with risk of hyperkalemia.[42]"
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 12:11

Quote: Originally posted by UC235  
So, you want to make goop out of a slightly different goop containing the same active ingredient, but are scared of nontoxic-enough-to-be-GRAS food additives for topical use?

You crack me up!

Actually this topic (please forgive the unfortunate pun) might be the start of a good sticky (and this one as well).

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
shaft
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2016 at 19:00

I thought Spironolactone would dissolve in MCT Coconut oil but it didn't. Why?

Go To Top