Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: how to extract pure nicotine ???
iloveloli
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 05:16
how to extract pure nicotine ???

i read a lot of nicotine extraction is just forming ejuice
can i extract nicotine using DCM or other organic solvent
then using HCl gas to form nicotine-HCl
nicotine-HCl is easier for me to weight out how much i need
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 05:30

Do you know just how dangerous nicotine is?

This sort of device delivers doses of 1 mg.
Can you weigh that small a mass accurately?
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 09:22

The estimated lower limit of a lethal dose of nicotine has been reported as between 500 and 1000 mg.
It passes through your skin.

[Edited on 9-4-2016 by gatosgr]

Increasing Wordiness
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 11:36

Just perform a A/B extraction, first you have to cut the leaves and reflux it with aq. HCl. Then you have a water soluble alkaloid. Evaporate under reduced pressure by destillation, the concentrated residual solvent is then treatment with a cold NaOH solution and add DCM in a seporatory funnel. Keep the 2 layers for 6 hours in the funnel.

The DCM layer is dried in a erlenmeyer flask with dried MgSO4 while stirring for 30 min.
Evaporate the DCM layer and handle this toxic oil (nicotine) with care.

The LD50 is high and a oil that have a relative high vapour pressure.
Take Care.

Other methods are available too. Column chromatography (HPLC),...

>I don't know the starting material.<
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 11:47

If you are intending to vape it, consider that your extract will probably contain some impurities that may be even worse for your health then nicotine itself, such as tobacco-specific nitrosamines.

Nicotine solution is not that expensive and online sellers are easy to find these days.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 11:50

Is this about extracting nicotine from e-liquid or from tobacco leaves?

Anyways, this is german but can be translated:

http://lambdasyn.org/synfiles/nikotin.htm

Note to self: Tare the damned flask.
Fegie
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 13:49

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
If you are intending to vape it, consider that your extract will probably contain some impurities that may be even worse for your health then nicotine itself, such as tobacco-specific nitrosamines.

Nicotine solution is not that expensive and online sellers are easy to find these days.

This reminds me of crocodil, its not the drug itself that fucks you up, its the traces of solvents used, most likely the same thing would happen here too..

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 15:20

Personally i just light the cigarette, suck, and my 'body' amazingly isolates nicotine and applies it to the brain-parts it was intended for.

Surprisingly it also seems to deal favourably with the 100+ other combustion/partial-pyrolysis products at the same time.

Nictotine addicts should either give it up (as i do, every night while i sleep) or simply not take nicotine.

Cigarette, Cigar, Vape, Nicotine patch, inhaler etc etc - you're still an addict, still Using.

Varmint
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 15:37

Aga:

This is true (still an addict) but nicotine has enough positive effects that I'm certain there will be ongoing use, especially for vaping.

Nicotine is not a carcinogen, the danger comes from the myriad of toxic compounds that piggyback the two main delivery mechanisms of burning and chewing.

I have a friend who smoked two packs of filtered cigarettes a day, he had a chronic cough, his skin was aging at a hugely accelerated rate, in general, he looked and sounded like hell. For decades.

He switched to vaping about 3 years ago, since then his cough has disappeared, his skin is recovering more of a tone bereft his age, and he says he feels better now than he did at any age since his late teens.

My point is, so long as you are comfortable labeling yourself an addict, why not take a very much lower risk approach and vape instead of smoke?

Just looking out for you, if I hadn't seen Tim's health improve I would never have believed it.

Take care.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 15:42

He'd look and feel better if he gave up entirely.

Stat.

Can't guarantee the 'look' part.

My point is that Nicotine is a Highly addictive drug.

A Smart and Determined Mind can kick that addiction, and live longer, and healthier.

Feck. Now i got to Quit or remain a dumb-ass.

Good. Thanks for the Impetus.

Increasing Wordiness
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 04:35

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
Is this about extracting nicotine from e-liquid or from tobacco leaves?

Anyways, this is german but can be translated:

http://lambdasyn.org/synfiles/nikotin.htm

This is indeed the right procedure for the extraction and determination of the quantity and quality.

Steam distillation with 5% NaOH until 1,5 L is collected in the receiver flask. I don't have Congo red as pH indicator, methyl orange or other pH indicators might also work to enable the determination.

There is enough time to calculate the EP: the exact mass of oxalic acid (and their pKa values) and the pKb of nicotine already know along with the total volume. Which is a good exercise... in the non smoking lab. ;)

Nicotine is a dark yellow to yellow brown hygroscopic oil that is volatile, avoid skin contact and don't use it as recreational substance as it block certain ion channels and act as nerve poison. I do remember that it was used as insecticide but now it's replaced by less toxic molecules.

Since nicotine is miscible in water and very soluble in chloroform, diethyl ether, pure EtOH it might explain why my method didn't work. Also, the starting material is important: if the dried leaves of Nicotiana tabacum are used then the yield is higher.
pepe
Harmless

Mood: REEEEEEE

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 19:30

I have a bit of a strange question pertaining to nicotine extraction. As we know nicotine can be delivered to the body via inhaled smoke. What would be the possibility of burning an amount of tobacco in a controlled environment with an apparatus to collect the smoke then doing an acid base extraction on the settled smoke?

I know this is an odd and silly question as you would have to burn quite a large amount of tobacco to collect any usable amount of smoke but this is more a thought experiment rather than an actual proposition.
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 6-6-2016 at 06:56

That is not at all an odd or silly question!

What you describe is in fact the very method used by Tobacco research laboratories worldwide to verify the nicotine content of the smoke of cigarettes, as specified in ISO 10315 (analysis of nicotine in smoke condensates )and ISO 3308 (the smoking machine)

IIRC the smoke from 20 cigarettes is collected on each filter, and the nicotine is extracted from the filters with hexane.

The ISO protocols specify exact conditions and methods by which the cigarettes are conditioned and smoked such as duration, volume, profile and interval of puffs, the air humidity, temperature, ventilation etc. etc.

[Edited on 6-6-2016 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2016 at 09:41

It would be a terrible way to isolate the nicotine from the plant matter. A large portion of it is destroyed on burning. The goal of using such a setup to quantify nicotine is to figure out how much nicotine is delivered by smoking each cig.
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

[*] posted on 30-6-2016 at 21:28

Is there any in burned sig filters?
Once, I soaked some in IPA to use for hydroponics as starting point, still have brown solution somewhere.
Could it be extracted from there?

[Edited on 1-7-2016 by Romix]
Romix

[*] posted on 30-6-2016 at 21:31

Pyrolysing rest plant matter, would nicotine or salt distill over at 300 - 400C or decomposse?
Romix

[*] posted on 30-6-2016 at 21:35

K in soluble part of ash, rest soluted in acid yellowy green.
Could be rust that mixed in

[Edited on 1-7-2016 by Romix]
urenthesage
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 20:08

Quote: Originally posted by gatosgr  
The estimated lower limit of a lethal dose of nicotine has been reported as between 500 and 1000 mg.

Where did you get that???You confusing MICROGRAMS for MILLIGRAMS. the LD50 for nicotine is 0.8mg/kg. Thats not even one MILLIGRAM. a gram could kill off 15 people.

[Edited on 4-7-2016 by urenthesage]
tandpasta
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 03:26

This guy took over 5 grams and only died after 64 hours: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/07364679919...

That LD50 of 0,8mg/kg is a rough estimation based on cases where someone has ingested far more than that. It's hard to say what the LD50 for humans actually is.

This paper cites an estimated LD50 of 1-10mg/kg: http://www.intljourtranur.com/article/S0099-1767(15)00127-0/abstract

So that 500-1000mg estimate isn't that weird.
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 09:45

Quote: Originally posted by urenthesage  

Where did you get that???You confusing MICROGRAMS for MILLIGRAMS. the LD50 for nicotine is 0.8mg/kg. Thats not even one MILLIGRAM. a gram could kill off 15 people.

I copied it from wikipedia. The thing is that it passes through your skin so if you get two drops of nicotive on your clothes and don't realise it well...that's why they don't sell pure nicotine unless you have a license.

feacetech
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 20:14

aga

I started e-cigs 2 years ago instead of smoking

it better than smoking once you get use to it and my health is way better

I don't cough (even when sick now).
I get sick less often.
Its heaps cheaper.

if I smoke a cig now it doesn't even work I am so used to getting vap through my nose.

100% vg
24mg/mL
1.2-1.5 ohm coils
Naturally extracted tobacco flavour
regulated battery.

On topic just get a good set of scales and weigh the nicotine solution and dilute.

I wouldn't try extract it yourself and then vap it.
Romix

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 18:40

Quote: Originally posted by urenthesage  

I copied it from wikipedia. The thing is that it passes through your skin so if you get two drops of nicotive on your clothes and don't realise it well...that's why they don't sell pure nicotine unless you have a license.

No, it's not, squeezed filters naked handed, still alive!
feacetech
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 15:13

spilt 24 mg/mL on my skin a lot

had 24mg/mL directly in my mouth several times

no ill effects or even noticeable effects (I weigh 80kg)

I always remember how they said nicotine was super toxic back in high school and how one drop in your mouth would drop you dead

looks like it was propaganda to me

[Edited on 11-7-2016 by feacetech]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 15:26

24 mg/mL (propylene glycol) is about 2.4% by volume nicotine, or 1:40. So you'd have to drink 40 drops of this (nasty, oily, burning) liquid (which is 2 mL) to equal "one drop in your mouth" of pure nicotine.

How much nicotine is that, you might ask? Well, (40 drops) * (24 mg/mL) / (20 drops / mL) = 48 mg of nicotine, which is pretty close to the accepted human LD50 of 50 mg. For context, a cigarette delivers 1-2 mg of nicotine, usually on the low end. In other words, yes, a drop of pure nicotine will kill you, or can at least.

But propylene glycol is pretty bad at carrying things through the skin. It's an excellent hydrogen bond donor and acceptor, so PG liquid has high cohesion and does not diffuse easily into polymer matrices like the human epithelium. A similar concentration of nicotine in DMSO would be far more bioavailable by transdermal routes, hence far more dangerous to spill. In general, laboratory solvents are more like DMSO than PG, precisely because the hydrogen-bonding and autoionization tendencies of PG make it a poor reaction medium (it's "sticky") unlike aprotic solvents. Even ethanol is much better at penetrating skin than PG, although this effect is diminished markedly by the presence of water.

[Edited on 11-7-2016 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 11-7-2016 by clearly_not_atara]
feacetech
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 19:13

I use VG (which doesn't really matter) (1 drop weighs 53.4 mg which doesn't really mean much either)

I can vape several mL in quite a short time (route of administration is nasal on the exhale (53% available))

according to wiki oral has the lowest bio availability 20-45% vs skin at 68%

I still say the LD50 is off and its no where nearly as toxic as it has been stated in the past.

Dog Franke & Thomas 1932 oral 9.2 mg/kg
Mouse Lazutka et al. 1969 oral 3.34 mg/kg
Rat Sine 1993 oral 50 mg/kg

look at the inter species variation, the 50-60mg human oral data is derived from the 1969 rat data.

wiki did have some human data 10g being fatal via stomach and injection and that nausea and vomiting from even low doses make ingestion difficult to die from (you are right it does burn a bit in the mouth)

And the next question is do addicts develop tolerance?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top