Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Duran PTFE GL 45 Caps
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2016 at 13:18
Duran PTFE GL 45 Caps

I need some GL 45 caps in PTFE for my Duran media bottles. I see these are available from the major suppliers, but I don't need many, and I'm extremely reluctant to drop $100 to buy a 10-pack from Sigma Aldrich.

Does anyone know where I can pick up singles, preferable at an extremely reasonable price?

PS: If any of the better Chinese suppliers like Deschem or Reacware are reading this, please start selling media bottles and GL 45 caps.

[Edited on 28-4-2016 by JJay]
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 28-4-2016 at 14:02

Sadly, I am in the same boat.

Ace Glass is probably your best bet, even though you have to have an approved account :/ I made a request to create an account and never heard back.

https://www.aceglass.com/page.php?page=7622

Dr. Bob,
can you find us a connection?

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2016 at 14:11

Do they need to be PTFE or do you mean HDPE with a PTFE face liner?

Try ebay.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2016 at 14:13

I was pretty sure I had seen them for $7 each a few weeks ago on another website.... I'm pretty sure that this supplier will sell them to individuals: http://www.mansionschools.com/red-gl45-cap-w-ptfe-liner-bp-1...

I might have to see what I can do about setting up an account with Ace Glass.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2016 at 14:17

Quote: Originally posted by Boffis  
Do they need to be PTFE or do you mean HDPE with a PTFE face liner?

Try ebay.

I'm going to be storing bromine in them, so I'd prefer solid PTFE, but a PTFE liner would probably work.

Oh and eBay is actually an extremely unreliable source for lab supplies like caps, septa, and so forth. There are plenty of bottles, sure, but there are very few GL 45 caps in PTFE.

[Edited on 28-4-2016 by JJay]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2016 at 06:30

I still have one or two of the used, but good, Schott brand, hard, red GL45 caps with PTFE liners. I'd sell them for $5 plus postage. I also have a few hard white ones which have a PTFE liner, not sure what brand they are but I would sell then for $2 plus postage. I gave away a few to people on here a few years back for testing in a similar thread, but haven't got back any feedback either way on them, so I don't know how well they worked for them, but I have used them with no problem for many chemicals, but not bromine.

I also have lots of the 125 ml amber Qorpak bottles with PFTE lined green caps for $2 each, I know they are fine for Bromine, as Aesar ships their bromine in them. I even have an empty labelled Bromine bottle from them if someone wants to buy a prelabeled one...

Finding a solid PTFE cap is tough and not practical, as it does not mold or machine well, so really not a good option. The Qorpak green caps do well, and the Schott red ones are fine, they seem nearly indestructible, just pricey.

I also just found a few Nalgene FEP (fluoropolymer) bottles, about 100 ml, I think, that I would sell for $4 each. Not sure if they are good for bromine, but should handle most things well. They are more translucent than PTFE, but not quite transparent.

[Edited on 30-4-2016 by Dr.Bob]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2016 at 07:39

Cool. I sent you a UTU.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 30-4-2016 at 07:47

I've been using some of the hard white Teflon lined caps from Dr. Bob for storing both bromine and conc. nitric acid for a while now. Both of them are holding up fine, with no sign of attack other than a slight discoloration, and no detectable amounts of vapors leaking.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2016 at 12:00

They are a little pricey, but I had absolutely no difficulties whatsoever setting up an Ace Glass account.

To be fair, I've never had any difficulties setting up an account with any other supplier either... I honestly don't understand why people have so much trouble buying chemicals and equipment from major suppliers.

[Edited on 1-5-2016 by JJay]

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2016 at 19:10

JJay,

Get more than you need right now. 100 dollars for 10 caps is a normal price but you'll end up:
- Using more often than you though just to put your mind at peace
- Some will inevitably get damaged by whatever you put Inside the bottles. You'll be happy to have a replacement handy then !

I have Red ones from Duran Schott in GL 45 and GL 32 (small bottles, might be ideal for Bromine) and I highly recommend the Duran Premier.
They are not as rigid as the red ones but are chemically a lot more resistant.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 06:38

Just going to say, regarding the white caps, I was one of the people who received a few from Dr.Bob to test out, and I'd say that they work great. I've stored HCl and HNO3 in bottles with them for nearly a year and there's been no damage or even noticeable fumes, and now I keep my bromine in a bottle with that type of cap. It seems to be holding up well, but I've only had the bromine in it for a few weeks at this point, and I keep it in the freezer anyway.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 11:34

I have a half dozen caps getting shipped my way, as well as some Quorpak bottles with PTFE-lined caps. I think I'll try out Quorpak ones first.

Go To Top