Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis and properties of heptanitropentane
a nitrogen rich explosive
Banned troll

Mood: Repentant

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 13:16
Synthesis and properties of heptanitropentane

Ahem. I have attempted all experiments described herein. I swear this over a copy of Thomas Klapotke's Chemistry of High Energy Materials and an image of Alfred Nobel.

Synthesis and Properties of Heptanitopentane

A three-necked flask with a stirrer, a dropping funnel and a thermometer was charged with 15.1 grams of nitroform and 150ml of water. 1ml of 20% aqueous sodium hydroxide was added as a catalyst, and the apparatus and its contents was cooled to 0 degrees in an ice bath. A solution of 7.5 grams of 2-nitro 3-acetoxy 1-propene in 20ml of methanol was added through the dropping funnel over a period of 60 minutes. A yellow-white precipitate formed immediately, and stirring was continued for 2.5 hours. The resulting crystals were collected and washed with water, then recrystallised from 150ml 70% nitric acid with temperatures not exceeding 75 degrees. After cooling, the crystals were filtered and washed with 35% nitric acid and, finally, copious amounts of water. The total yield was 12.8 grams (66% of theory.)

Heptanitropentane is reasonably sensitive to both thermal and mechanical stimulus. Small detonations were reached with vigorous rubbing of heptanitropentane between a metal hammer and a wooden table. It detonated with a vigorous hammer blow of a 200 gram hammer from around 15 centimetres. It took significant heating before explosion.

The picture attached shows this perfectly. This is the first frame of explosion when filmed at 1000fps, and the shockwave is clearly visible. As it happened, my kitchen Aga goes up to many hundreds of degrees, meaning that 500 milligrams of HNP overwrapped in Al foil sprays molten metal all around my kitchen.

IMG_1920.PNG - 1.1MB

I can't think of a better signature.
a nitrogen rich explosive
Banned troll

Mood: Repentant

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 13:17

And 2/1000ths of a second later, smoking aluminium is flying all over the shop.

IMG_1922.PNG - 996kB

Of course I can't fucking afford a 1000fps camera. SloPro for iPad at least comes close, and it can apparently do 1000fps...

[Edited on 8-5-2016 by a nitrogen rich explosive]

[Edited on 8-5-2016 by a nitrogen rich explosive]

I can't think of a better signature.
The_Davster
A pnictogen
Thread Moved
9-5-2016 at 14:06
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 00:24

Did you buy the precursors or did you synthesize them yourself?
Marvin
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 04:28

The accuracy of some of n.r.e's statements have been questioned and he has been encouraged to reassure the mods before posting anything else.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 08:07

Caveat Emptor !

From where was this dubious information gotten?

Maybe from here?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/prep.19830080106/...

Or perhaps from here? (see attached file)

Attachment: Megalomania's Heptanitropentane from 1983 PEP.pdf (29kB)
This file has been downloaded 1811 times

WRT the "style" of bullshitting and publishing unreferenced and unsourced "experimentals" that are really not systematically developed concepts even as an acceptably informal style .....because of the inherent risks with energetic materials ....
I can't go for that :D

I'm a little old for such reckless mind games hosted by childish menaces who just want to feel included ....or something ....who knows what is their agenda or mental issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5hzeKlRYNM

<object width=640 height=480><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m5hzeKlRYNM?version=3&autoplay=0&showinfo=1&modestbranding=1&controls=1&theme=dark&vq=hd720&am p;hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m5hzeKlRYNM?version=3&autoplay=0&showinfo=1&modestbranding=1&controls=1&theme=dark&vq=hd720& hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width=640 height=480 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 11:44

From PM of A nitrogen rich explosive...

Quote:
No, plastic was the wrong word. Crumbly mass would be more appropriate. Nothing a small amount of xanthan gum can't fix.
Also, all my stuff is going through U2U, because Bert has been throwing his weight around and will not let me post until I post a picture of me swearing an oath of honesty over a copy of Urbanski with a local newspaper by the side.
Have you seen my heptanitropentane writeup?

My PM reply:
It's not a write-up! It is far from what it should look like.

My general reply for public reading:
-No reference from sources for procedure!
-No equations (was wel provided to you in one of my answers in another tread) --> you are too lazy to copy paste it here.
-No explanation of the synthesis of reactants or where they come from (bought?).
-No characterization procedure of the réactants or products (MW (via mass spectro, via ebullioscopy, via cryoscopy, via tonometry or via osmotic pressure) , IR-spectra, UV-spectra, melting/boiling point, characteristic derivative or complex).

The professionnal lab you wrote about looks like a house-kitchen (evidenced by the clothes in front and the coffee-thermos recipient, the kitchen Tools, ...) --> WTF?

If you want to make a publication at least take inspiration from the already published documents in member publications

And get inspired by this tread "proper scientific reporting"

The plastic reference comes from this short question tread reply

[Edited on 11-5-2016 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)

Go To Top