Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cinnamaldehyde Amine Peroxide
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 11:04
Cinnamaldehyde Amine Peroxide

cinnamaldehyde amd ammonia do they react if so what is formed I can find any references

Also does it react with peroxide

Modeled after hexamine synthesis
In which formaldehyde and ammonia react

[Edited on 10-5-2016 by symboom]
Eosin Y
Banned troll

Mood: Aga needs to cool his heels

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 11:35

C9H8O+NH3+O2-->C9H11NO2+O Yes, it does, yielding ammonium cinnamate. C9H12NO2 would not react with peroxide.
However, this but is nearly as big as a pop singer's: :D :D :D
What would you think about C9H8O with peroxide? The double-bonded carbonyl group only occurs in aldehydes and ketones. Funnily enough, I think that cinnamaldehyde is an aldehyde. Given that all organic peroxides are ketone peroxides or aldehyde peroxides, I assume that this would form a peroxide, but I can't be certain. C9H8O3 might be a probable high explosive (if it exists.)

[Edited on 10-5-2016 by Eosin Y]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 15:42

Quote: Originally posted by Eosin Y  
C9H8O+NH3+O2-->C9H11NO2+O Yes, it does, yielding ammonium cinnamate. C9H12NO2 would not react with peroxide.
However, this but is nearly as big as a pop singer's: :D :D :D
What would you think about C9H8O with peroxide? The double-bonded carbonyl group only occurs in aldehydes and ketones. Funnily enough, I think that cinnamaldehyde is an aldehyde. Given that all organic peroxides are ketone peroxides or aldehyde peroxides, I assume that this would form a peroxide, but I can't be certain. C9H8O3 might be a probable high explosive (if it exists.)
Just going to say, this all looks like a load of nonsense, even with my organic chemistry skills being only marginally higher than that of a common peasant by the standards of the more experienced organic chemists on this board.

First of all, this reaction: C9H8O+NH3+O2-->C9H11NO2+O

How did you come up with that? Reference please? There's absoutely no way that an aldehyde will be oxidized efficiently without a catalyst to the carboxylate and then somehow form free atomic oxygen as a side product. It is true that O2 will oxidize aldehydes, but it is only efficient enough to be useful with catalysts such as manganese salts present. I have searched to try and find references to oxidation of aldehydes with air or pure oxygen and everything I could find says that catalysts are necessary, or strong UV light to form ozone.

And the rest of your post simply doesn't make any sense. Your claim that "all organic peroxides are ketone peroxides or aldehyde peroxides" is clearly untrue, given the existence of the well known and feared ether peroxides.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Eosin Y
Banned troll

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 01:20

Sorry about that. You know more about organic chemistry than I do. The first thing that I searched was here: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/6432274
Saw ammonium cinnamate, assumed immediately that this would work. I just went off the peroxides I knew, and saw they were all ketones/aldehydes (MEKP and TATP.)
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 06:36

Alright, well sorry if my response was a bit harsh. Just make sure not to assume stuff like that before posting it as if it is a fact.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Eosin Y
Banned troll

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 06:57

Misunderstanding. I was talking about cinnamaldehyde with H2O2! Anyway, sorry about my assumption.

Go To Top