Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is this suspicious?
Eosin Y
Banned troll

Mood: Aga needs to cool his heels

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 13:54
Is this suspicious?

Do you think that my ordering of distillation apparatus of Ebay and also my ordering of a lot of strange chemicals will get the police to pay me a visit? Just thinking that it might be a place to bring this up.
These chemicals:
NaOH - NaOCl - Urea - Trichloroisocyanuric acid - Sodium dichloroisocyanurate - Lantern batteries - Aluminium powder - Ferrocerium - Magnesium - Potassium perchlorate - Sodium perchlorate - H2SO4 - Potassium nitrate - Antifreeze - Hydrogen peroxide - Calcium oxide
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 15:52

I don't think any of that is suspicious.

A local city council member's aide stopped by yesterday on what was a supposedly routine visit, and his reaction when he saw my bromate generation apparatus was basically, "Whoa, cool!"

Orenousername
Hazard to Self

Mood: Regulated

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 22:06

aluminum powder + perchlorates = terrorist :D

Lol nerds
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 17:50

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  

A local city council member's aide stopped by yesterday on what was a supposedly routine visit, and his reaction when he saw my bromate generation apparatus was basically, "Whoa, cool!"

So are you insinuating they were there for more than a pre planned visit and the visit had alterior motives? ;)

If they know you, then most likely they realize how eccentric our breed can be and already have a bar lowered for our height. I have been going through a program with the local police department and constantly talk about chemistry, and how I would love to start a program with local schools to generate interest in chemistry. There is sort of a science club already, but not a hands-on chemistry program to that degree. The police laugh casually while writing down my name and whispering... Just kidding. They take it pretty well, especially when a discussion of riot control agents came up, and they were actually able to talk about the various properties of the compounds. There was talk about alpha-chloroacetophenone. :cool:

I have no doubt that if I looked different or came off as a less than academic type that they would take it a lot more seriously, but when I offer chemistry related advice in conversation that applies to everyday life, I come off more as a nerd or chemistry enthusiast than a threat. This is good because it tells me there is still hope.

[Edited on 12-5-2016 by Loptr]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 18:50

Oxidizers + metal powders can be suspicious. My only contact with a three-letter agency revolved around purchasing aluminum powder and potassium perchlorate. They assumed that I was making 'flash bombs' with the material.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
ganger631
Hazard to Self

Mood: Plata o plomo

[*] posted on 13-5-2016 at 21:20

Definitively suspicious looking, although the chances of them opening up the parcels are quite slim. You may want to order fuel/oxidizer in separately, not only does it seem suspicious,but quite dangerous.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2016 at 16:47

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
Quote: Originally posted by JJay  

So are you insinuating they were there for more than a pre planned visit and the visit had alterior motives? ;)

If they know you, then most likely they realize how eccentric our breed can be and already have a bar lowered for our height. I have been going through a program with the local police department and constantly talk about chemistry, and how I would love to start a program with local schools to generate interest in chemistry. There is sort of a science club already, but not a hands-on chemistry program to that degree. The police laugh casually while writing down my name and whispering... Just kidding. They take it pretty well, especially when a discussion of riot control agents came up, and they were actually able to talk about the various properties of the compounds. There was talk about alpha-chloroacetophenone. :cool:

I have no doubt that if I looked different or came off as a less than academic type that they would take it a lot more seriously, but when I offer chemistry related advice in conversation that applies to everyday life, I come off more as a nerd or chemistry enthusiast than a threat. This is good because it tells me there is still hope.

[Edited on 12-5-2016 by Loptr]

I don't think it was what I would consider a routine visit (it's not even his district), but I'm not really sure what his motives were... probably heard about my lab and just wanted to see what was going on....

Go To Top