Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unknown Chemical Disposal Help
Trevor9424
Harmless

Mood: Corroded

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 09:49
Unknown Chemical Disposal Help

I've recently attempted a synthesis of bromoform, however the reaction was a bit of a failure. I added some potassium bromide to about 100 milliliters of bleach (which was advertised as having 8.5% conc.) and then added about 5 milliliters of acetone. The mixture went white and cloudy and I allowed it to sit in a separating funnel overnight. When I came back, there were no separate layers and a white powder was sitting around the bottom of the separating funnel. The powder doesn't seem to be water soluble. However, there is a strange smell coming from the liquid mixture which I can only assume is chloroform and bromoform mixed in the water. However, I don't have to much of a reference of what the other substances in the mixture may be and I don't want to just throw the mixture into some Fenton's reagent or sodium hydroxide and call it a day.
Does anyone have an idea of what I may have and if it's safe to place in Fenton's reagent/ sodium hydroxide and then down the drain? Thank you!
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 12:24

Seems you didn't follow any known procedure, not even a utoob video or you'd have posted a Link as well.

Dilute the Waste in a bucket of water and do at least Some research before trying again.

[Edited on 5-6-2016 by aga]

Trevor9424
Harmless

Mood: Corroded

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 13:30

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Seems you didn't follow any known procedure, not even a utoob video or you'd have posted a Link as well.

Dilute the Waste in a bucket of water and do at least Some research before trying again.

[Edited on 5-6-2016 by aga]

Sorry, this was the procedure I was attempting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAkhnY-4E5Y&index=96&...
Orenousername
Hazard to Self

Mood: Regulated

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 15:11

That's probably mostly chloroform and bromoacetone lol

Lol nerds

Go To Top