Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acetone vs butanone
zhiang0113
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 10-6-2016 at 10:03
Acetone vs butanone

Hello all!

I've been considering purchasing some acetone or butanone, but I can't decide which to choose. There's not much I found online regarding comparisons in solvating properties, but I saw a couple of sites that said acetone is a generally better solvent. Is that true? Also, what compounds would be more easily solvated in each solvent/what reactions are more suitable for each solvent?

Thank you! :)
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
10-6-2016 at 10:20
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 10:24

I prefer acetone, and it's cheaper too. It can be found at your local paint store, which makes it more convenient than butanone.

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 10:37

Make sure to check regulations for where you live as one (or both) may be illegal for purchase by individuals. If both are legal then go with acetone since it evaporates faster thus allowing glassware cleaned with it to dry faster. I also personally prefer the smell of acetone but that might just be me.
Orenousername
Hazard to Self

Mood: Regulated

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 16:16

Quote: Originally posted by Zephyr  
I prefer acetone, and it's cheaper too. It can be found at your local paint store, which makes it more convenient than butanone.

I can find butanone at my local hardware store, although acetone is much cheaper.

Lol nerds
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 16:42

Look for methyl ethyl ketone (MEK or 2-butanone). I'd choose via desired miscibility with water. Acetone is miscible, MEK is not (totally...solubility is about 27.5 % v/v).

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
zhiang0113
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 04:04

I was thinking of butanone due to the novelty of adding another chemical to my repertoire and asymmetric aldol condensations, but after reading all of your comments, I decided to buy acetone instead. It's in a 3.5L canister, it's huge! Also got some isopropanol along with that as well :P

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Make sure to check regulations for where you live as one (or both) may be illegal for purchase by individuals. If both are legal then go with acetone since it evaporates faster thus allowing glassware cleaned with it to dry faster. I also personally prefer the smell of acetone but that might just be me.

Hmm... How do the smells differ? Never had first-hand experience with butanone, but I gotta say I find acetone vapours rather penetrating, and even overwhelming at times. Personally I prefer toluene's smell over acetone's. Ethanol is the best so far though :P

Go To Top