Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alcohol for Birch reduction
Stibnut
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2016 at 17:34
Alcohol for Birch reduction

I got ahold of a couple of fairly inexpensive pressure tubes capable of 150 psi, and I've distilled out about 20 mL of (hopefully) anhydrous ammonia from a 30% solution using a simple distilling apparatus packed with CaO as a desiccant, with the receiving flask in a dry ice/denatured alcohol bath. Storing it in the pressure tube should be safe: NH3 doesn't reach 150 psi until it reaches 26 C and I have it in a freezer at -15 C. All reactions will be done in a dry ice/alcohol bath so the NH3 doesn't boil as I have the tube open adding things.

I've decided I want to do a Birch reduction on benzene to make 1,4-cyclohexadiene. Insert meth joke here, but rest assured I'm not making that: I wouldn't last a second in prison. Anyway, I have 1 g of Li from an element sample and I got a little 30 mL bottle of benzene from ebay.

My question is: what alcohol should I use as my proton source? It appears most labs on Birch reduction use ethanol, but I already have 99.9% methanol and absolute anhydrous ethanol is hard to find online. I'd use the Klean-Strip denatured alcohol I'm using if it were anhydrous, but I suspect it's probably 95% ethanol/5% water mixed with fairly pure methanol. Is there any difference between methanol and ethanol in terms of their behavior in the reaction? Also, I see some people use t-butyl alcohol instead - why would they use that?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 14-6-2016 at 21:47

You can always get ethanol the same way you got ammonia, just from high-proof vodka, and without the need for dry ice. Or do the classic diethyl ether synthesis with sulfuric acid and some form of ethanol (not denatured if you can help it, although if you have a decent fractional distillation setup denatured alcohol might work okay). You'll get your ether, but on redistillation, there's always some ethanol that gets through too, and that stuff's always very nearly water-free. Denatured alcohol is usually mostly ethanol, but they always throw a bunch of other crap in it too, and don't say what it is on the label. Usually, there's acetone, ethyl acetate, methanol, and at least two other random volatile chemicals in it, sometimes tert-butanol and/or MEK. I can recognize most solvents by smell, and the hardware store stuff always has a few surprise chemicals in it. Personally, I'd avoid denatured alcohol for any synthetic purpose. Even a liter of vodka fractionally distilled to like 90% then distilled over a desiccant to 98-99% or so would be better, because at least you know that if your synthesis fails, it wasn't because of some unknown denaturant. Of course, I can buy Everclear (95% ethanol vodka) at the liquor store a block away, (thank you, New York State budget crisis of 2009! I used to have to have my friend pick it up for me in Maryland!) but I'm assuming that's not an option for you.
Stibnut
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-6-2016 at 22:39

Right, I completely forgot that I could just dry out most of the remaining 5% water with a desiccant. D'oh! I live in Illinois, and I believe the 190-proof Everclear is legal here. I haven't ever looked for it. Off to the liquor store tomorrow!

The dry ice/denatured alcohol bath is for cooling the reaction down to below the boiling point of anhydrous ammonia so that it doesn't boil as I open the pressure tube to add the benzene/alcohol and the lithium. I didn't consider it a good idea to try using that in the Birch reduction because I'm not sure what it's made of besides ethanol and methanol. I have dry methanol already anyway, so if that works I'll probably try it.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 15-6-2016 at 05:57

Quote: Originally posted by Stibnut  
Right, I completely forgot that I could just dry out most of the remaining 5% water with a desiccant. D'oh! I live in Illinois, and I believe the 190-proof Everclear is legal here. I haven't ever looked for it. Off to the liquor store tomorrow!

The dry ice/denatured alcohol bath is for cooling the reaction down to below the boiling point of anhydrous ammonia so that it doesn't boil as I open the pressure tube to add the benzene/alcohol and the lithium. I didn't consider it a good idea to try using that in the Birch reduction because I'm not sure what it's made of besides ethanol and methanol. I have dry methanol already anyway, so if that works I'll probably try it.

It's still *usually* a good idea to try to replicate existing experiments before trying variants on them. That way there's fewer possibilities for what could have gone wrong if your experiment doesn't work. While it's true that ethanol and methanol behave very similarly chemically, methanol behaves more like water than ethanol does, and can dissolve boric acid and chloride salts, unlike other alcohols. Granted, ethanol is used more often in lab experiments if it doesn't matter which alcohol is used, just because it's slightly cheaper and its toxicity is very low for a solvent, so odds are that's the main reason it's usually used.
CaptainPike
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 10:30
anhydrous ethanol

you mentioned you have CaO. This will be the perfect desiccant to use to move from the azeotropic (95%?) concentration possibly attained through fractionation, to the anhydrous holy Grail of neatness :-)
Stibnut
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-6-2016 at 22:29

Yep, I realized that too. I got myself some 190 proof Everclear and am drying about 150 ml of it with CaO right now.

Go To Top