Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: ChemPlayer the story and the end for now
Vanta
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2016 at 10:30

Thanks for everything Chemplayer!
I thoroughly enjoyed your video's.

Subscribed I will be till the day youtube kills itself.

Also, I'm quite surprised you're not a professional chemist.
Or at least, have had 'proper' chemical education.
Not that raw real world experience isn't as good, might even be better.
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 16-7-2016 at 07:44

Oh, chemplayer, to add to my previous comment, could we maybe hear about the creation of your original soundtracks you showed in a couple of your videos?

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 16-7-2016 at 19:27

You once said you wanted to open-source the project. It would be interesting if ChemPlayer became the Dread Pirate Roberts, and whoever is able to carry the flag, takes it over from the previous one and carries it until they are no longer able to do so, and so forth.

That might still be a possibility, although I would hate to see the ChemPlayer-branded diluted.

So you are coming to the USA? Did I read that correctly?

I have been archiving your videos for the fear this day would come. I think SM needs to have section for your videos, and ones that others have created. I noticed we now have an actual Media Wiki installation, so that's a start.

[Edited on 17-7-2016 by Loptr]
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2016 at 07:47

Yes we thought about making it open-source, but then the problem becomes a quality one (although we had no real interest in making money out of the thing so the brand is inconsequential).

So instead we wrote a few posts in some other threads on here which go into quite a lot of detail about how we film, how the editing process is made efficient, etc. so we can pass on some tips we've learned.

BUT all that said, we got into this by being inspired by other people's videos, and if people had a few 'short cut' media files such as intro, music etc. to help them along the road then it's possible that there would be more videos out there.

So if we can find a suitable hosting space (~400Mb total space, mostly for intro sequence) we will be happy to make the following available as a template which we'll call 'Open Chem':

1. The 'Chem Player theme' intro / end theme music.
2. The 'Jazz Interlude' music.
3. A version of the Blender intro sequence (as a series of still images designed for 25fps) with a small new 'Open Chem' logo.
4. A quick style guide (fonts, sizes, timing of captions etc.), just for guidance in case you want to use it.
5. The end screen picture (with the molecules and a blue background).
6. TTS software and voices used so you can achieve the same effect as we have (optionally, if you want).

All other music, logos, content etc. in existing videos would stay as our copyrighted material, but the above items would be available for distributed use by anyone else who wants to use them in their own videos. Just be polite and have a quick text appear somewhere for 2 seconds to mention that the 'Open Chem' template is originally by ChemPlayer, but that's it.

The only covenant would be that finished videos using the materials should be for educational use, not for profit (and no horrible adverts), and should be related to amateur science. No restrictions on subject matter though; the template is agnostic of your own channel.

Any thoughts appreciated. If people like this then we can make it happen.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 17-7-2016 at 10:11

Y'all are awesome. In the vein of The Curious--"Gee, we hear you can do this, let's try"

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2016 at 18:24

I like the idea of "Open Chem". Pick up a template and produce your own feature experiment.

Those video templates can be hosted on Google Drive for now, if you wanted. It has more than enough space to host it, and you just have to set it as accessible to the public and provide a link.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 17-7-2016 at 19:32

I am a bit divided on this idea. But mostly I think I disfavour it.

Firstly, I do not think the brand is inconsequential. There are a large number of things that chemplayer does that really cannot be replicated by someone else. The choice of experiments, the dry humour, the style, lighting, the way the videos are sequenced, the wildlife crawling through the field of view and the prophylactic chianti to mitigate against the dangers of the Maillard reaction.

Of course, if it is "Open Chem" then that is a new brand. (I prefer the title, "Chemplayer Open Source".) It is a new vehicle and a new way of doing things based on what works best from Chemplayer videos and what of that is transferrable. (Which is not all of it.)

The real issue I see is one of quality and dilution. I really would not like to see a kind of Khan Academy of chemistry experimentation. If it is really successful and there are a lot of contributors then you have a bit of infoglut with lots of overlap and variable quality and overall a less useful (or entertaining) resource.

I think if (when) I decide to produce videos of my own, I would like to pursue my own vision for what they might become and not be trying to conform to someone else's standard (albeit an excellent one). I really like the communal thing that we have where there are a few outstanding chemistry youtubers who all pinch ideas off each other and all produce in their own way according to their own style. There is a reason why we nearly all have bookmarked NileRed, Nurdrage, Doug's Lab and Chemplayer. I don't see there is much to be gained by these other three posting using Chemplayer's brand. And even less to be gained by a noob like me attempting to emulate the great.

I would love to see a chemplayer "How to make a good chemistry video" tutorial posted on YT. I know of several posts here that give some good pointers but having them on the channel would be just great!

My $0.02

Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2016 at 19:40

The idea of producing a video sounds daunting to me, and is probably the reason the ability for reuse sounds enticing.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-7-2016 at 07:03

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I think if (when) I decide to produce videos of my own, I would like to pursue my own vision for what they might become and not be trying to conform to someone else's standard (albeit an excellent one). I really like the communal thing that we have where there are a few outstanding chemistry youtubers who all pinch ideas off each other and all produce in their own way according to their own style. There is a reason why we nearly all have bookmarked NileRed, Nurdrage, Doug's Lab and Chemplayer. I don't see there is much to be gained by these other three posting using Chemplayer's brand. And even less to be gained by a noob like me attempting to emulate the great.
I totally agree with j_sum here. I also have a desire to make videos, and was struggling with getting off the ground, yet I still don't want to use OpenChem because I am a perfectionist and feel the need for my videos to be entirely my own work. That may also mean that I never end up publishing my videos, but that's just the way my mind works. It's either 100% mine and meets my quality standards, or it doesn't go up. I feel like I won't get any recognition for my original work if I don't have my own original brand.

I know that a lot of people aren't like that though, so I still think that OpenChem is a great idea, it just isn't something that I'll use myself.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-7-2016 at 05:35

j_sum1 and zts16: really appreciate the thoughts, and totally agree; we would have been exactly the same starting out. I do remember the 3 days sitting in front of the screen tearing my hair out trying to work out how Blender works with minimal documentation. That was honestly a harder mental cliff to climb than scouring all the documentation on 'thermodynamic vs. kinetic control of enolate reactions' and that was bad enough! We'd have never published anything with a template, but we might have tried it out, gained confidence and learned something, played around with some of the ideas in it, and especially read any 'how to' tips if they were available. A template doesn't have to be for life; Christmas alone is enough.

So we're working on a template and how-to guide at the moment hosted on Google Drive. Just the graphics to do, but that's just a case of relearning how Blender works! Oh God...

What we'll probably do is publish it first to a few select people and see what they think. It it is remotely useful then we'll publish it generally to everyone as part of our 'final videos'.

All video filming completed now, but lots of material to 'work up', and some packing to do... oh, and a long-haul plane-journey with Blender on a laptop and hopefully some alcohol...

CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 19-7-2016 at 12:55

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I also have a desire to make videos, and was struggling with getting off the ground, yet I still don't want to use OpenChem because I am a perfectionist and feel the need for my videos to be entirely my own work.

I think this is a great point. We all want our own brand and our own style to be reflected in our work and contributions, as a sort of mark for us to be recognized or remembered by. I could see the "Open Chem" template being something that stays solely as a template in that it could provide the structure of the videos (ie. sequence, organization, general appearance, etc), but each user would provide their own style. This would allow for the efficient delivery of information the way chemplayer managed to do, while still allowing each user to be able to differentiate themselves from the rest.

I feel like Open Chem would be an excellent way to take the initial edge off of video making that a lot of us get stuck behind, since it's so hard to initiate.

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 22-7-2016 at 12:03

I agree with the more recent posts, that if I ever made a channel, I would want it to be mine and not too reminiscent of someone else's. And I'd rather not see others use it. It seems, too, that it will degrade the 'legacy' of the original content, too.

Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2016 at 18:02

I guess I am thinking of it from a perspective of producing education-oriented content, and not just what's cool or a whim, but a more coherent collectively contributed media stream.

Sort of like what open courseware is doing, but produced by the amateur. Something that gives the overall content a direction.
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-7-2016 at 19:30

We've created 'OpenChem' and we'll do a quick video to explain and we'll also make a post here in a new thread to explain what it is.

It's basically just some media materials that you can then make it whatever you want it to be!

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 27-7-2016 at 20:38

I saw your final video today and it made me sad :(. Ok I admit the salmon one was slightly arousing but the lack of "stay tuned" at the end left me empty inside.

I used to always look forward to the next one coming out. You guys made consistently high quality experiments and educational videos. I think it has elevated the chemistry hobby to new levels. Thank you for everything

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 15-8-2016 at 13:24

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
I saw your final video today and it made me sad :(. Ok I admit the salmon one was slightly arousing but the lack of "stay tuned" at the end left me empty inside.

I used to always look forward to the next one coming out. You guys made consistently high quality experiments and educational videos. I think it has elevated the chemistry hobby to new levels. Thank you for everything

Second that. I just watched the Salmon video today, not planning on watching the open-chem one. Hope there is a part two...

chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-3-2018 at 17:49

If you follow us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/ChemPlayer1) then you will have seen that finally (predictably) YT is giving us a bit of trouble at the moment and it looks like they're out to cull content from their site.

So we're doing an experiment with BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/

We did 'part 1.5' over the last year and there will be a bit of a break now as the focus is on other projects, but still planning for a future return at some point. If YT does indeed kill the channel (looks likely) then we'll keep you posted here on SM and on Twitter as to the plan. We have a complete archive of all videos, comments, messages etc.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 29-3-2018 at 18:23

Sad to hear.
Have any videps been taken down yet?
Is everything properly archived?

Thanks for letting us know. Yours is an extremely valuable resource. Might be time to systematically watch through the channel again.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2018 at 19:09

Doing that now, the regressives have taken over google it is all going down the drain sadly, so backing up some vids now and from now on will be dling all good science chem vids
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 29-3-2018 at 22:02

I’m sorry to hear of your problems with the pricks running YT.

Could you please describe your efforts making P. I spent considerable time trying to make a facile and economical method for doing this, with limited success.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 30-3-2018 at 05:33

RANT:

Fuck Youtube

Oh yeah they also killed keepvid. https://www.keepdownloading.com and https://www.vdyoutube.com/ still work for downloading videos

Bitchute's front page is filled with conspiracy theories, white supremacists and right-wing american retards. Maybe we don't deserve an open platform and the Internet golden age is over.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2018 at 05:41

RANT:

Fuck Youtube

Oh yeah they also killed keepvid. https://www.keepdownloading.com and https://www.vdyoutube.com/ still work for downloading videos

Bitchute's front page is filled with conspiracy theories, white supremacists and right-wing american retards. Maybe we don't deserve an open platform and the Internet golden age is over.

But it is the regressive left doing the damage they are the ones who want free speech removed, that all so means the removal of sharing of ideas, just like youtube is doing.

Very sad that delusional idiologs can't grasp how that cuts both ways, but what can you expect from neocommies.
Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 30-3-2018 at 09:23

The amateur chemistry side of YouTube will be just a little darker. So long, chemplayer, and thanks for all the fish.
sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 30-3-2018 at 09:53

But it is the regressive left doing the damage

Well said!

[Edited on 30-3-2018 by sodium_stearate]

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2018 at 11:53

Chem Player is easily the best chemistry channel on YouTube. Considering the scale of the demonstrations and the presence of disclaimers, it is surprising that YouTube would say that it is against community standards. Their rules as stated (that chemistry demonstrations are not to be reproducible) are anti-science.

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top