Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Central Park dismemberment incident
DieForelle
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2016 at 20:00
Central Park dismemberment incident

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/blast-elie-wiesel-funera...

Look I'm not a conspiracy theorist...definitely not in the conventional sense anyhow, I don't think 9-11 was an inside job...but did anyone else follow this story and think too many things don't add up?
I did some random "energetic materials" experimentation growing up, in HS and college. I think I discussed it here previously. I also used to peruse amateur pyrotechnics forums and have read a fair amt. about various compositions. I was almost sure that nothing you typically use for fireworks is that shock sensitive. Right? You'd only make something this shock sensitive if you intended it only for that purpose, right? Furthermore the whole supposed chain of events seems incredibly unlikely. Someone goes to Central Park of all places to experiment with high explosives, instead of a more remote area...and there's a used match book nearby. They know how to make a shock sensitive explosive but can't figure out how to light it? Then they leave it right where someone's foot is likely to land?

I'm definitely not saying it's (conventional) terrorism, but something really doesn't add up here. So correct me if I'm wrong...but it seems really unlikely someone just wanting to make a "boom" on July 4th would end up 'accidentally' creating a perfectly shock sensitive mix, that, even if not lighted, wouldn't have just blown itself up after a while. What are some hypothetical mixes this idiot would have used?

[Edited on 7-7-2016 by DieForelle]
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2016 at 20:18

Poor guy, it could have been a homemade chlorate/sulphur solute type mix, they are known to be very sensitive
DieForelle
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-7-2016 at 20:31

Darnit, I don't know why that happened...can a mod please move the post here?
Why isn't there a delete option on a new post?
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 6-7-2016 at 23:26

A peroxide explosive would fit the bill.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
ficolas
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 10:26

Quote: Originally posted by DieForelle  
Darnit, I don't know why that happened...can a mod please move the post here?
Why isn't there a delete option on a new post?

Edit the post, and check !Delete this message!, then click Edit Post, and done

[Edited on 7-7-2016 by ficolas]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 10:31

I have been wondering about this incident since I first saw the aftermath on TV a few days ago. I know nothing about explosives but to be set off by contact this would have to be a primary explosive of some type? Right?

I have been expecting a report of the chemical analysis of the residue that would indicate chemical composition of the explosive. But of course the authorities may not wish to disclose this.

It doesn't seem at all like terrorism. It's most likely just the work of thoughtless kewls. :(

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 14:27

Magpie: Yup.

The fact that he was amputated with few signs of burns or fragment injury (correct me if I'm wrong) suggests an explosive device rather than a pyrotechnic charge. So does the fact that he was able to set it off like he did, generally speaking a pyrotechnic charge requires confinement that also serves to reduce it's sensitivity to impact. Furthermore, the level of sophistication (or more correctly the complete lack of it) suggests an explosive that is readily made and can be set off with minimal effort.
Peroxide explosives like TATP or HMDT would fit on all accounts. They are among the simplest explosives to make and only involves OTC chemicals, simple equipment and little knowledge. They are also quite sensitive primary explosives with a very poor safety record. While not conclusive that would be my first line of investigation.

This is why we can't have anything nice. While we (the responsible ones) make sure we don't get anyone gets hurt there will always be those that give everybody a bad rep. Stories like this just breaks my heart. It's bad enough when someone gets themselves killed, but to get maimed from others stupidity like that. Fuck man, that's rough.

I think I would rather get killed myself than to harm others. And since I also value my life it might explain why I haven't sustained or caused any serious injury to date. The only way to deal with energetic materials safely is by always considering the worst-case scenario. I will admit to some scary stuff in my juvenile days, but I wised up quite fast.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 19:41

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-investigating-caused-explosi...

"Commissioner Ray Kelly said that 'this was perhaps a chemistry student, something along those lines, trying to make fireworks for the events on July 4.'

Investigators will 'do a lot of checking on the internet — see if there are groupings of people that perhaps talk about making fireworks, that sort of thing,' he said."

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 20:41

Great. Just what we need, right? They always say "it must be someone who knows chemistry" when really it was probably just a kewl reading a recipe somewhere. They just don't understand how easy it is to make something like that.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 23:13

I can picture him now, retrieving his 90's vintage computer from behind the half bottles of gin and empty doughnut boxes in the bottom filing cabinet, dusting off the old dial up router and connecting it to the phone line so that he can "check the internet"
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 00:58

Maybe the guy blew his own foot off, what would you tell the police if one of your experiments went wrong and you lost a foot?

Due to recent events that came to light after i posted this, i withdraw what i wrote.

I hope i am wrong but maybe the OP has a point in light of the events with the police being murdered, i dont want to comment on the shootings as i am in the UK.

I dont feel those of us in europe have much idea of the tension building (if any is) in the states.

So which ever way you look at it, the last 24-48 hours have been a very sad time, i hope the park bomb is a one off.

[Edited on 8-7-2016 by NEMO-Chemistry]

Go To Top