Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drug bust shuts down my fave shop
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 06:54
Drug bust shuts down my fave shop

Its a tiny hydroponics and head shop, the guy also rented some sales space at our nearest garden center selling hydro stuff there as well.

A couple of weeks back the police raided a weed farm in the basement of a local Hotel, nothing big scale and just about made local gossip.

but seems its the final straw for my hydro store!! They can no longer sell legal highs and the hydro stuff seems to have had only a couple of larger customers, one of which is now ermm on holiday.

I could get potassium nitrate and copper sulphate cheap there as well as some other chemicals pretty cheap. best of all it was local!

They sold 25Kg sacks and buckets of stuff really cheap, i used to buy 5Kg sulfur for £3. Shame its now gone :(.

They also had some pretty funny looking glassware as well! most kind of looked like gas washing apparatus with long tubes :D, and bong cleaner was great for lab glassware cleaning and cheap.

No idea what was in the cleaner
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 08:35

Interesting. Another example of anything intended for ingestion by humans screwing it up for the rest of us.

Legal highs will destroy your physical and mental health. I think my sister-in-law could legitimately be considered crazy now after abusing them. It's sad and scary to see her now after having lost her job, apartment and mind. She used to be a reputable marketing coordinator for a well known international civil engineering firm, but has since lost everything. Now she spends her time talking to her boyfriend that is in rehab, and yelling out of windows at people that don't exist. We know she's abusing, and hence the acute paranoia and delusions, but she has changed so much in her appearance and behavior even when she is off of the drugs. She also used to model--there used to be a sign in Washington, DC where a company bought her pictures for a product line. Sad...

[Edited on 7-7-2016 by Loptr]

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 08:50

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
Interesting. Another example of anything intended for ingestion by humans screwing it up for the rest of us.

Legal highs will destroy your physical and mental health. I think my sister-in-law could legitimately be considered crazy now after abusing them. It's sad and scary to see her now after having lost her job, apartment and mind. She used to be a reputable marketing coordinator for a well known international civil engineering firm, but has since lost everything. Now she spends her time talking to her boyfriend that is in rehab, and yelling out of windows at people that don't exist. We know she's abusing, and hence the acute paranoia and delusions, but she has changed so much in her appearance and behavior even when she is off of the drugs. She also used to model--there used to be a sign in Washington, DC where a company bought her pictures for a product line. Sad...

Never tried drugs legal or otherwise, i do wonder what was in some of the legal stuff, most seem to claim to be natural based products. Scary so many reports of the dangers of them and yet other class A drugs seem less harmful and until recently were treated more harshly than the then legal stuff.

I think the shop shut down as i bet many/most the customers were weed growers, once in a while the police crack down and people stop growing for while.

The town near where i live is renowned for many small growers, one part is said to have just about every loft in every house growing a few plants!

There is alot of farming around here and hydro didnt really seem to take off. I kind of feel sorry for the guy that owned the shop.

it was a friendly place and handy to go buy cheap chems, but my few £ each month wasnt ever going to keep it afloat :D.

The garden center has reverted back to selling small box's of mixed chems for extortionate money, nothing that useful for experiments, except maybe water and soil test kits.

Even the local car paint place closed this year, they did loads of solvents for a reasonable price, but the big thing was being local. Now i have to order online and the shipping nearly doubles the price.

Out of ineterst anyone know what is in BONG cleaner? Did a great job of getting crud out of flasks
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 08:53

Yeah, and these so-called legal highs that are messing people up come as a direct product of prohibition!

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 09:00

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Yeah, and these so-called legal highs that are messing people up come as a direct product of prohibition!

the drug side dosnt interest me (outside of the botany), but the hydroponics part was really handy for alot of chemicals for making up different fertilizer brews.

It also sold 20ltr drums of strong bleach, and was one of the very few places i have seen hexane for sale.
Arg0nAddict
Hazard to Self

Mood: Mercuric

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 09:15

Quote: Originally posted by NEMO-Chemistry  
Out of ineterst anyone know what is in BONG cleaner? Did a great job of getting crud out of flasks

About a year ago all the cleaners at head shops around here were 1,4-butanediol which I believe is just one step away from gbl which is one step from ghb. The big deal is that It's also converted to the active gbl/ghb in vivo so it was responsible for many store closures even though it was marketed as a wheel cleaner or glass cleaner and said nothing about human consumption. It's since been scheduled and it's analogs as well.

AA☆CC

[Edited on 7-8-2016 by Arg0nAddict]

YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
pepe
Harmless

Mood: REEEEEEE

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 14:50

Cant be much of a surprise with it being a hydroponics/headshop. It sure sucks that they get shut down and of course terrible policy is in place to facilitate this but if they were breaking the law that is justice.

Hope you find new chem suppliers though. Its nice to have things sourced locally and not have to deal with shipping and waiting on packages.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 15:53

Legal, illegal as well as natural or synthetic dont mean it's harmless.

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 16:00

If you need to clean a bong just get some IPA and sand.

There were a couple other interesting things in hydroponics shops some years ago: 35% H2O2 , ozone generators, H3PO4, amino acids.
Oh wait... I got a jar of amino acids. Did someone say decarboxylation? :D
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 13:55

They didnt get shut down, he just gave up after most of his customer base got busted for growing etc.

Interesting about the bong cleaner, crafty way to sell a precursor :D.

I am using Photography suppliers and ceramic suppliers.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 13:58

Would you get busted for having one or two Mariajuana plants in the UK ?

As in, they'd be consficated, trip to a cell etc ?

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 15:19

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  

I think you could be a little more specific. I never heard of anyone going crazy from inhaling a whipped cream can..

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 01:39

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Would you get busted for having one or two Mariajuana plants in the UK ?

As in, they'd be consficated, trip to a cell etc ?

Hmmm

Depends alot on postcode from what i can see on the news these days, dunno how long you been out the UK but been some subtle changes.

Over the course of last year we did alot on society and law enforcement (mostly utter bolox), some of it got you thinking though.

The government would rather just pretend drugs are not a problem and tackle only the really nasty stuff.

But then you have England and an increasingly independent Scotland with Wales a bit behind but becoming more devolved each year.

England i can only go by what my friends in England tell me and what i know of the system.

For example Government not bothered by weed and only banned legal highs because they became a problem in prison.

But you also have alot of areas now where crime also comes under the remit of a local Mare (spelling on purpose), Mares tend to want to eradicate ALL crime at any cost, but the reality is if you put away 20 small time growers for 18 months each, then you can say drug enforcement is up by x%.

To make it worse you also have POLICE and Crime commissionaire in some areas, now these are a nightmare and cycle yearly through a whole list of priorities without getting ANYTHING actually done.

Scotland is different, totally different. Everyone assumes the legal system is about the same as Englands! It really isnt, the system is far more like it was back in the dark ages.

For example on one of several court day visits (part of the course) i saw two people accused of the same thing, both had the same excuse (sorry i mean evidence).

The Sheriff found the first guy not guilty, after hearing the same evidence from the next guy he found him guilty! But the really shocking thing is, after finding the second guy guilty he turns to the first and switches his not guilty to a guilty!!!

Only way to complain or overthrow a Sheriffs decision in reality is a judicial review, you cant get legal aid for that and the cost starts somewhere around £20k, so the Sheriffs here are a law unto themselves.

In the cities and major towns weed isnt bothered about, too many class A arrests to be had easy, but in other areas they do a sweep a couple of times a year and make a big thing out of it.

Like many schools we have drug dog searches most months, the other thing about Scotland is, its gone over the top in law enforcement.

We have much tighter laws on everything from Air Gun ownership to even a lower drink drive limit, also we have different trading laws here for tobacco and alcohol.

Anyway 6 months time it will die down and the growers will be back for 12 months.

Go To Top