Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury nitrate
urenthesage
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 11:32
Mercury nitrate

Ive made mercury nitrate using strong HNO3 but it seems to have reacted with something. It has a weak nitric acid smell and its yellow. The problem is, its supposed to be soluble in water and this salt most definately is not soluble at all. Have I created a different mercury compound and what would the mechanism be for making a different salt.
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 12:16

What method did you follow, what exactly did you do and where did your materials come from?
urenthesage
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 13:38

Quote: Originally posted by Marvin  
What method did you follow, what exactly did you do and where did your materials come from?

I put clean elemental mercury in concentrated nitric acid. I let it crystalize a bit and heated the compound in its water to try and dissolve it. Instead of dissolving like I expected it turned yellow and crashed out of solution. It would not dissolve no matter the temperature of the solution (there was an excess of mercury as the final product has excess mercury metal in it.)
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 15:15

Not difficult to check wikipedia: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury(I)_nitrate

Looks like the excess mercury favoured formation of HgNO3 rather than Hg(NO3)2 despite your use of conc. acid
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 8-7-2016 at 16:20

I dissolved Hg in con HNO3 and obtained a clear solution. I posted my results in the HgCl2 thread if you are interested.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top