Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guanidine from arginine
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 27-9-2006 at 19:14
Guanidine from arginine

So in my biochem course, I was staring at the amino acids, when I realized that there was some good ol' guanidine stuck to the carbon chain of arginine. Now I have done a google search and minor journal searching, with no relavent results, but can anyone see a way of removing the guanidine intact from the rest of the amino acid? I went and got me a little arginine if anyone can think of anything. If not I will just use the arginine as is and try to make some sort of crazy tetrazole substituted amino acid.

The standard methods (diazotization, etc) for removing an amine don't seem to work here, as the other NH2 on the other side of the guanidine would react instead.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2006 at 19:43

I'm afraid not, you'tr going to have to go with "crazy tetrazole substituted amino acid" 8-) That guanidine nitrogen is in effect an amine, subsituted with the carbon chain making up the rest of arginine, I can't think of any easy way to break that; the C=NH is going to be too easy to break.

Then there's this way, if olny ...
http://www.mallchem.com/catalog/biotech/guanidine.asp

BTW - isn't that amino-acid NH2 going to be reacting as well when you try to convert the guanidine part?
SilencePlease...
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2009 at 12:40

Ah, good to see someone else has this idea. Recently picked up a tub of "L-arginine" 500mg tablets from Holland and Barett (I think it was £3 for 50...). On the ingrediants Magnesium Stearate and SiO2 were the only other constituents and as both are insoluble we should be able to get fairly pure Arginine solutions.

'N-nitro Arginine' struck up some obscure medical papers on google and if we were able to succesfully nitrate arginine and then reduce our 'crazy tetrazoles' might still be possible!

SP..
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 23:41

Methyl Guanidine and methyl amine can be made from creatine.

Go To Top