Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Has anyone got a backup of this youtube channel?
mos
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 21:00
Has anyone got a backup of this youtube channel?

Hi guys,
Ok not that long ago there was a youtube channel and I think it was called Explosivepedia, or something like that, I am sure I didn't dream it!

Anyway has anyone perhaps backed up that channel?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Cheers

Mos
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 21:38

I just watched Explosipedia's video on trinitrotoluene not too long ago... I wonder what happened. I'll search a bit more.

[Edited on 7/31/2016 by Velzee]

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
Dank
Harmless

Mood: Wet

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 21:44

Quote: Originally posted by Velzee  
I just watched his video on trinitrotoluene not too long ago... I wonder what happened. I'll search a bit more.

Ah! So that's why I couldn't find it. Strange synthesis though, I was under the impression TNT required both fuming nitric acid and oleum to get that third nitro group on there, but he only used sulfuric acid drain cleaner and a nitrate salt. Clean MP though, and just about on point.
mos
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 02:33

Quote: Originally posted by Velzee  
I just watched Explosipedia's video on trinitrotoluene not too long ago... I wonder what happened. I'll search a bit more.

I missed that one, but there were a few other interesting ones.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 02:44

I wonder what happen, YouTube gives me this message when I open their channel "This account has been suspended due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy on violence." I don't recall there ever being any violence on that channel

Edit: I found a few videos at https://vimeo.com/explosiopedia

[Edited on 31-7-2016 by NedsHead]

mos
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 03:40

Quote: Originally posted by Dank  

Ah! So that's why I couldn't find it. Strange synthesis though, I was under the impression TNT required both fuming nitric acid and oleum to get that third nitro group on there, but he only used sulfuric acid drain cleaner and a nitrate salt. Clean MP though, and just about on point.

Dank your right, by all accounts oleum and fuming nitric acid is required ... but by the magic of tv hey presto :)
mos
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 19:02

Quote: Originally posted by NedsHead  
I wonder what happen, YouTube gives me this message when I open their channel "This account has been suspended due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy on violence." I don't recall there ever being any violence on that channel

Edit: I found a few videos at https://vimeo.com/explosiopedia

[Edited on 31-7-2016 by NedsHead]

Thanks NedsHead! that exactly what I was after ... not sure if there was more on youtube, taking it for granted I never bothered to download it expecting it to be there when I needed. Not making the same mistake again I have started backing up all the channels of interest while they are around.

Thanks again you are a champ! :)

mos
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 03:24

You're welcome, I would still like to know why YouTube nuked the channel, if it was due to explosive manufacture and testing then others might suffer the same fate. does anybody know what happen to Explosiopedia's channel?

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 04:22

Yes, youtube is nuking the EM channels. They've changed their terms of service it seems.

EnergyUnleashed was another great channel that got deleted. The rest of us making any sort of EM videos are all on the verge of being deleted (youtube removes a video of yours without warning, you get a strike. 3 strikes and your channel gets deleted. Many of us have 2/3 strikes now).

I've put every Ex&F video on private now, because any public video could get reported by youtube at any moment and I'd lose everything. I'll put up a video on Extract&Ire for those of you who know what that is that will explain it in more detail.

Other chemistry, including drug related stuff seems unaffected. But any near-EM related video is at risk. I lost my video on nitromethane. NileRed lost his video on making Hexamine from formaldehyde and ammonia. Hopefully this all blows over but for now, things look bad.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 05:30

Maybe time to make a SM-OUR-Tube?

TNT should be reachable from Na nitrate salt and 95-98% H2SO4 (drain cleaner)...because it makes nearly anhydrous HNO3 aside with NaHSO4 dehydrator (scavenge water as NaHSO4.x H2O crystals)...
So even if oleum is not present it will work albeit maybe:
-with lower yields,
-with longer exposure time
-or longer heating time...

Following chembooks and what I had learned at university in organic chem class...Toluen is not supposed to react with HNO3 69% to make o- or p-nitrotoluen and stil I have tried and it does despite no significant NO2(+) should be present...even after a few seconds exposure, you can notice a yellow color at the interface.
See my experiment here "Green solution" tread into Energetic Material folder

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 05:32

Thanks Tom, something tells me this probably won't blow over, maybe it's time for sciencemadness to create MadTube so we have somewhere safe to upload and share our content, at the very least it might be a good idea to start uploading to a different medium, if a few high profile channels like yourself begin others will follow

Edit: PHILOU Zrealone beat me to it:)

[Edited on 1-8-2016 by NedsHead]

Tdep
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 05:49

There are always backup sites yes, Vimeo tends to be the next choice, I don't know what their terms of service are like but Explosiopedia has been sitting up there for 2 years so that's a good sign at least.

But honestly, you can't really replace Youtube. From a creator's point of view, you do want your video to be watched. From my experience of youtube, there's always a great community supporting me and it's fun to make videos that entertain those people. Sure, I could just do an experiment and write it up on sciencemad, but making a youtube video is so much more than that and while it's not for everyone i've loved it.

I can't really explain it well, but basically, it's very hard to replace youtube. What does that mean for the future of EM videos?? Guess we'll have to find out.

I'm hoping it will blow over because the changes to the youtube community guidelines are affecting many channels across all of youtube. Some of the changes to the guidelines involve the addition of something like 'you cannot say something offensive about another person' which means that a lottt of vlog channels are under threat and have started to see strikes thanks to this very vague sentence. People are kicking up a fuss and the site usually does cave if enough tide is turned against it. Perhaps the whole strike system will get changed.

I can only hope, what else can I do? The strike (1 or maybe 2 strikes, I can't tell) will wear off in 3 months.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 21:54

This is a bit concerning -- and I am not even an EM enthusiast.

I have some favourite videos on phosphorous production from a user who used to frequent here. He is still active on YT making and testing fireworks. If his account goes under, a very valuable resource will disappear.

I am downloading as we speak.

greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 23:56

This is terrible, they took explosipedia and energy unleashed as well. Total BS. They both had good videos, I was watching the channels a few weeks ago.

I am pretty sure I have seen a video on youtube before showing how to manufacture methamphetamine but explosives arent allowed.
It seems we are not allowed to be trusted with any information on dangerous things online at all anymore.

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
mos
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 19:21

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
Yes, youtube is nuking the EM channels. They've changed their terms of service it seems.

EnergyUnleashed was another great channel that got deleted. The rest of us making any sort of EM videos are all on the verge of being deleted (youtube removes a video of yours without warning, you get a strike. 3 strikes and your channel gets deleted. Many of us have 2/3 strikes now).

I've put every Ex&F video on private now, because any public video could get reported by youtube at any moment and I'd lose everything. I'll put up a video on Extract&Ire for those of you who know what that is that will explain it in more detail.

Other chemistry, including drug related stuff seems unaffected. But any near-EM related video is at risk. I lost my video on nitromethane. NileRed lost his video on making Hexamine from formaldehyde and ammonia. Hopefully this all blows over but for now, things look bad.

Firstly love your work :)

Secondly are you going to put your vids up on vimeo or something similar as its a waste if they just sit there in private.

We organise someone to host a FTP and I would be happy to upload all the vids I collected, I think I got some from energy unleashed before they were taken down.
mos
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 19:34

Another fun channel with boom boom is Arma-Fratrum.

I dont think his grasp on chemistry, or safety is up to scratch but entertaining.

If anyone can suggest any good channels to back up please list them as I have tried to find them all but you guys may have some jems.
Tdep
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 04:14

There was quiet for about two weeks, and I thought the slow march of Youtube changes had stopped. This week marks even worse signs.

Watch this video Youtube is Shutting Down my Channel and i'm not sure what to do

Youtube are removing monetisation for videos not deemed 'advertiser friendly'. Sure, this isn't deleting videos but it's still a large step and as is explained in the video, channels rely on this income and it means people will immediately start to conform with exactly what youtube wants you to see.

But does this extend to amateur chemistry? This time: yes.

The BackYardScientist has just has monetisation removed, not for his videos involving playing with molten aluminium, but for the hydrolysis of aspirin. Now this is concerning.

Sure, Chemplayer doesn't rely on monetisation. But if you're NurdRage and you can either make a hardcore chemistry video and not be able to make money off it, or a non-challenging popsci video where Youtube doesn't strip your income, which one would you do?

[Edited on 2-9-2016 by Tdep]

[Edited on 2-9-2016 by Tdep]
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 06:06

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  

But does this extend to amateur chemistry? This time: yes.

The BackYardScientist has just has monetisation removed, not for his videos involving playing with molten aluminium, but for the hydrolysis of aspirin. Now this is concerning.

Sure, Chemplayer doesn't rely on monetisation. But if you're NurdRage and you can either make a hardcore chemistry video and not be able to make money off it, or a non-challenging popsci video where Youtube doesn't strip your income, which one would you do?

Now, that is quite concerning. At first, I saw the YouTube "giants" who were complaining how that they thought YouTube was censoring them, but in reality, YouTube believes that advertisers wouldn't like to stand by the giants that tend to swear profusely and act inappropriately(making sexually related jokes and such), and hence aren't being professional, so I rolled my eyes at the Giants' complaining. But this; most chemistry channels are very professional, heck look at MrHomeScientist, NileRed, heck even you don't overly use profanity or the like.

I couldn't care less about the Giants who complain about how they wish to swear or act immature for their channel(after all, it is a professional atmosphere), but YouTube is starting to look a lot worse by burning all of the books(or videos in this case), and keeping knowledge away from people. Either that, or the advertisers really don't care for scientific knowledge. Either way, it wouldn't surprise me.

[Edited on 9/2/2016 by Velzee]

[Edited on 9/2/2016 by Velzee]

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 07:20

YouTube's gone full retard,

one of my other favourite channels, the forgotten weapons channel, had monetisation removed for displaying the German NAZI flag when reviewing historical weapons at the Cody Wyoming Firearm Museum, it's been a tradition of Ian's to display the national flag of the firearm he's reviewing, but that all changed when he reviewed a German weapon manufactured between 1933 and 1945 Germany, he was left with no other option but to censor the flag , here is his response to the controversy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of8okKZg7UA

chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 21:25

Advertising revenue from online sources has been dropping dramatically (per click). At this point YT constitutes around 10% of Google's entire ad revenue, and given the platform's ability to very effectively profile and target viewers for adverts, it's probably strategically Google's best future source of growth for this revenue. I'd bet that they've made a strategic decision to focus on developing YT as a 'premium advertising channel'.

Google therefore need to do anything they can to make YT an absolutely 'solid' platform for advertisers so that they can charge more for this future enhanced and controlled advertising vehicle. Part of that means that they have to absolutely guarantee advertisers that their advert or product can't be associated with anything that could conceivably possibly have any negative connotations whatsoever. And corporate marketing and comms folks are generally pretty controlling, paranoid and obsessive creatures. If you can't give them a 100% cast iron guarantee that their advert won't be shown within a minute of a nazi flag then they ain't going to pay you the bucks.

What YT are effectively saying is that "our model is changing and we will now be focusing on making money out of the richer more paranoid corporate types; so unless your material appeals to them, you also won't be able to make money".

We're not happy with some of the censorship (strikes / age blocking) that IS clearly going on at the moment, but we think there's a bit of hyperbole surrounding this particular development which to us seems more like an inevitable product of economics and advertising commercials unfortunately.

People should be more worried about the direct censorship and the sort of thing happening to 'Explosions and Fire' for instance.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
DieForelle
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-9-2016 at 14:33

Wow, I knew YT was "demonetizing" controversial videos, but now the wholesale removal of videos that merely present physical realities of the universe? WTF?

"YouTube's gone full retard,"
Indeed.
The jersey rebel
Hazard to Self

Mood: dealing with excessive change

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 04:06

I thankfully wrote down every single chemistry preparation on energy unleashed's channel except the thermobaric device video (was in Bucharest) so at least I have that. Who knows? Once I launch my website, maybe I should have a YT prep section to maybe rise the videos from the dead in some way. But yes YouTube has done a good job in screwing itself over, but hey when you make 4 billion dollars without generating any profit you want to turn it into a second buzzfeed to capitalize on the tabloid scene. Sad.

Go To Top