Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: UK - Schwerter's Soloution - Legality?
zolacat999
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2016 at 06:01
UK - Schwerter's Soloution - Legality?

Hi all,

First post on the forum but looks like a great site so will be around im sure :)

My current issue is I am looking to make Schwerter's Solution (for silver testing). With that in mind I need two main items:

- Nitric Acid (people opinion vary on strength from 35 to 70%)
- Potassium Dichromate

From my research so far Nitric acid is now a controlled substance in the UK over 3% can anyone confirm this? If so I guess I need a EPP licence? Once I have the required licence i am them legally allowed to obtain and keep nitric acid over 3% strength?

2nd Potassium Dichromate, the law here seems less clear, am I allowed to buy this or would this also need to be added onto the EPP licence?

Finally, if the law does allow me to aqauire the chemicals and I successfully make the solution, what is the law on distribution could I give out/ sell within friend circles? (I am part time metal detectorist so we all want schwerters soloution to test silver)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 5-9-2016 at 13:12

Nitric acid indeed requires a license. If you have a license, then you are NOT allowed to share the acid with friends. All of the people who you want to give the acid also need a license.

In the EU potassium dichromate is not (yet) forbidden, but it might be that in the UK the rules are more strict. I read about strict laws on poisonous compounds as well as on explosives precursors.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
zolacat999
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-9-2016 at 13:19

Thanks for your reply

So with the nitric acid even once it has been mixed with the Potassium Dichromate the nitric acid part of the compound still needs the licence?
ficolas
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2016 at 16:07

Is it possible for a particular to get a license? I have looked up a bit on the interned and they seem quite cheap, (40£ for quite a lot of chemicals 3 years)
Im just curious, the licenses seem just like a way to keep people with access to these things controlled
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-9-2016 at 03:09

There is a freedom of information site, i remember reading on it a few months ago, someone asked for information on the number of licenses that had been granted in the UK so far.

I dont think it was many! Once you have a license you also have to comply with storage regs etc, i dont think its as straightforward as it was intended to be.

Go To Top