Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: EU Border laws, please help.
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 04:53
EU Border laws, please help.

Hello again Dear forum members.
Do any of you know border laws here?

Is there a limit on sulphur that you can take with? from EU country to EU.
UK is out of EU would laws with it's borders change?

It says that diamonds, rare animals and drugs are not allowed.
What about PMs gold, platinum, palladium etc... ?
Can I legaly transport, copper, tin, zinc and various types of steel. If so how much? In a form of scrap and ingots.
What about plastic scrap like PET, PS, ABS.

It says that there's a limit on electronic products, worth over 350£ not allowed. Can I take ton of broken printed circuit board scrap over the border, with all components present on it. Would it count as electronics over 350£, can I be seized?
Romix

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 04:56

Would crashed CRT glass be allowed?
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
8-9-2016 at 05:19
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 05:31

Best to ask a lawyer really, considering the range of things you're talking about.

The metals etc would probably be OK, but the CRTs and PCBs might attract trouble if there's a lot of it, as the phospohrous etc content makes it potentially hazardous.

AFAICR you need a section 62 waste transfer note to even move it about inside the UK (in significant quantities).

Romix

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 06:06

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Best to ask a lawyer really, considering the range of things you're talking about.

The metals etc would probably be OK, but the CRTs and PCBs might attract trouble if there's a lot of it, as the phospohrous etc content makes it potentially hazardous.

AFAICR you need a section 62 waste transfer note to even move it about inside the UK (in significant quantities).

Phosphors removed. Some may remain, not much.
Well, 100kg + -. What they can do to me, if they catch me with it on border.
Take it of me? Or worse?

And what makes it hazardous?

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by Romix]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 06:53

They can definately do more than simply confiscate your stuff it if you break a law.
They may be able to make you pay for their expenses made in handling your possibly hazardous materials.
They may be able to punish you, for example by fines, or by confiscating licences or permits you need for your activities. Maybe other punishments, who knows?

Incidentally, this is not a very good forum to get free advice about European laws. We generally discuss topics related to amateur science, mostly chemistry. Some laws impact amateur science, and we occasionally do discuss them as well, but surely there are better places to ask.

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Romix

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 07:02

I don't want to brake laws, that's the reason asking here.
Where to look for EU border laws? I checked google more then 10 pages, nothing on the topic.

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by Romix]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 07:46

Eur-Lex would be a good place to look I think, it contains all the European laws:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/homepage.html

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Romix

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 16:34

Didn't find answer there. Maybe someone here know or tried?

[Edited on 6-10-2016 by Romix]
oldtimer
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-11-2016 at 19:19

Basic rule: inside the EU, there are no border controls at all. You can load your 100 kg of electronics junk in the trunk of your car in Portugal and drive up all the way to Poland.

Entering the EU from outside (on an overseas flight, for example) is a different story. Allowed are your personal belongings, and goods that remain in the EU up to a value of € 450,-, as long as these goods are not brought for commercial purposes, and possession of these goods does not violate any European or national (at your port of entry) law.

with 100 kgs of broken CRT's you might have a problem explaining what your personal use of that stuff is.

a kg of sulphur (or any other non toxic, not oxydizing etc. ... substance should not be a problem,

BUT:

given the extreme chemophobia of the European (especially german) public, including it's public servants, anything "chemical" will rise suspicions. So I would not bring anything I am not sure it is legal, and even with things legal but suspicious I would not enter the EU in a country who's language I don't speak.

The good thing is, however, that when going through the green channel at an European airport (at least the ones I know) you are close to never actually stopped and searched. Should it happen anyway, and you bring for example a bag of any white powder on a flight from South America, your discussion with the officers will probably take some time...

Further (and official) information: http://www.zoll.de/EN/Home/home_node.html

hope that helps.
Romix

[*] posted on 21-5-2017 at 11:56

Went on a trip through EU, plated gold pins, flake, nuggets, solder allowed... They let me through. Flying.

[Edited on 21-5-2017 by Romix]
Romix

[*] posted on 21-5-2017 at 12:47

Permanganates banned.

Go To Top