Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need suggestions for a short project
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 14-9-2016 at 23:02
Need suggestions for a short project

Hi,

I must do a project in my physical chemistry lab classes and I am looking for suggestions of an interesting project to do. The project must not take longer than 11 hours in lab in total, but it must not be too short either. It must also obviously be connected to physical chemistry, so it must be directly related to a physical chemistry topic such as thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, orbitals, phase diagrams or other stuff like that. Please also note that I am not a huge fan of physical chemistry and I would prefer a project not going too deep in physical chemistry. I would prefer a project related to organic or inorganic chemistry instead of a pure physical chemistry project, but I am open if the project is really interesting.

Some examples of possible projects would be: the study of the heat of combustion, study a photochemical reaction, effect of rigidity and planarity on the fluorescence of a molecule, determination of the molar mass of polymers...

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 14-9-2016 at 23:50

Maybe solvatochromism? Brainandforce reported some interesting effects on fluorescein where the fluorescent wavelength was dependent on the polarity of the solvent used. Possible also to investigate variation of different proportions of water and methanol. Eosin also shows a similar property but pyridine does not. There are a few things worthy of investigation here and it need not be too complex in terms of experiment setup.

[edit] typo

[Edited on 16-9-2016 by j_sum1]

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
15-9-2016 at 05:19
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 15-9-2016 at 11:08

That is a great idea j_sum1, I'll look at possible solvatochromism related projects !

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-9-2016 at 15:14

I won't take credit for that one -- Brain and Force's idea. It is worth looking up his posts on this -- there are some interesting photos that appear in at least two different threads.

I am just the messenger. Glad you like the idea. It seems to me that it might have some practical applications, say, in biological staining.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 15-9-2016 at 16:19

Or, you could determine ligand effects on the UV-vis spectrum of a transition metal (preferably one with a relatively simple number of d electrons).

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.

Go To Top