Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13
Author: Subject: Bromine Source and Synthesis
Brom
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 18:14

Diggafromdover could you point me in the right direction where I could find a 500 ml heating mantle stirrer for anywhere close to the price you paid?
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 14:20

I also use the permanganate, NaBr & Sulfuric acid route. I maintain the reaction vessel considerable above the boiling point of Br2 by controlling the rate of acid addition to a soln. of KBr and KMnO4 in hot water. No external heat is needed. The Br2 and some water seems to come over. I wash the Br2 with H2O and dry over anhydrous NaBr. Distillation gives quite a nice product. I think I made ~900 g of distilled product in two runs in a 2 L RB. The cost was about $50.

DSCN0956.JPG - 1.5MB 30 g #35.jpg - 557kB

Bromine 0.9 Kg.jpg - 827kB

[Edited on 10-8-2015 by Dan Vizine]

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 14:44

Quote: Originally posted by Brom  
Diggafromdover could you point me in the right direction where I could find a 500 ml heating mantle stirrer for anywhere close to the price you paid?

Where else? e-Bay. Just watch patiently for a few weeks. The prices are usually not a giveaway, but if you're diligent in checking, great deals can be found. I got a practically new 2 L and 3 L mantle together for About $80.

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 18:24

Appreciated. I will look into it.
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2015 at 08:14

Don't forget that they don't plug into the wall outlet. A device, like a variac, is needed to control input power.

Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-8-2015 at 18:26

Thanks a lot for the advice. I wasn't aware of that. Could that be why the ones I was referring to before cost so much? Because they already have that built in and are ready to plug in?
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2015 at 19:12

Yes, there are hard-shelled units that are "plug'n'play" so to speak, they have control knobs. I'm not very familiar with these. Most that I've encountered were soft-shelled or aluminum-shelled and their maximum power requirements were clearly noted. An iron-constantan thermocouple is often built-in, and more frequently, ignored.

A variac is rarely very cheap.

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 12:29

I think the best way I ever made bromine was sodium bromide, sodium bromate, and sulfuric acid. Collect the distillate, separate the water, dry it with c. sulfuric and it's good to go!

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 17:18

My next attempt will be passing Cl2 through a NaBr solution. I know there are issues with Cl2 but it is actually the most economic use of the reagents and equipment I have available.
I wish however that I had a good cheap OTC source of bromide salts around here. The only OTC source is Bromochlorodimethylhydantoin for spas, and even that is hard to come by. The presence of chlorine makes for a really good pool chemical, but pretty much useless as a bromine source.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 20:17

Quote: Originally posted by Fleaker  
I think the best way I ever made bromine was sodium bromide, sodium bromate, and sulfuric acid. Collect the distillate, separate the water, dry it with c. sulfuric and it's good to go!
I'm planning on trying that once I have a functional bromate cell going. It looks like the most promising and clean method. I don't know if I ever posted it in this thread, but the first time I tried, over a year ago now, I used sodium bromide, potassium permanganate, and HCl. It got the job done and got me a somewhat wet element sample that I could be proud of at the time, but definitely wasn't clean or very efficient.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inconherent

[*] posted on 13-8-2015 at 12:28

Quote: Originally posted by Brom  

Ah, but I did not find a mantle, I found a Fisher Thermix, which is a humungous hotplate with magnetic stirrer. I found it on Ebay from a surplus seller in Vermont. In other words, I stumbled around on eBay until I tripper over it.

Be patient, and keep checking.

Enjoying second childhood with REAL chemistry set.
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-8-2015 at 12:07

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to keep watching eBay. Its past time for me to retire my heat gun back to the garage.
gdflp
Super Moderator
Thread Split
18-6-2017 at 07:41
Texium
Administrator
Thread Topped
9-6-2022 at 15:22
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13

Go To Top