Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Novel way to produce HF-NaF?
Germanys_Finest
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-11-2006 at 18:44
Novel way to produce HF-NaF?

I have a can of dust-off (difluoroethane) and the decompostion product is HF. I will be setting up a boiling flask with 1 hole rubber stopper with tubing leading into an erlenmeyer flask with dh2o and strong magnetic stirring to capture the HF vapors.

The question is at what temp. does difluoroethane decompose?

Really my purpose is to produce NaF so should I just bubble this HF gas through a NaOH sol. or produce aq. HF first then react the 2 compounds?

Thanks in advance!
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-11-2006 at 19:02

Bubble through a concentrated NaOH solution. HF eats glass like it's candy. By bubbling HF into your erlenmeyer flask, you will destroy your flask. There is no doubt about that. You would be best off doing this in a plastic container. In addition, make sure that you have plenty of calcium gluconate gel around in case you get any HF on your skin. It's fairly nasty if you're not careful with what you are doing.

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 16-11-2006 at 19:02

Well, it definitely decomposes on ignition! My workmate and I used to send fireballs at each other using freeze spray cans - until, after choking on the fumes, I read the can and realised we were lighting an HFC - and the choking gas probably contained HF :o

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2006 at 10:04

I think you might do better passing the gas over hot NaOH or Na2CO3. That way you don't have to deal with HF.
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-11-2006 at 18:03

Would the gas react directly with NaOH to give NaF and various unwanted organic compounds? If so that would be the easiest method, just spray the gas into a hot solution of NaOH or solid NaOH if that is needed.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top