Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Floating Apple Trick
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

[*] posted on 17-11-2006 at 21:31
Floating Apple Trick

I stumbled upon this on the internet tonight and felt it would be of some interest here. Please check out this link:

http://undeniablefacts.blogspot.com/2006/11/undeniable-frida...

This is a phenomenon completely new to me, and intriguing in that rather ordinary compounds and apparatus are called for. Plus there is a video clip depicting the apple being lifted over 10 cm into thin air and held aloft for several seconds by an unseen force, apparently acting from the reaction mixture in a kitchen measuring cup.

Since I fancy myself a scientist, I must keep an open mind. Right off the top of my head, I am at a loss to explain or even speculate upon the nature of a hyperdense gaseous fluid capable of floating an apple at STP. It is even more difficult for to imagine how such conditions might be generated by an aqueous mixture of yeast, salt, alum, and water set to boil on a kitchen stove. My initial impression is that this is total bullshit.

I will try to restrain myself from trying to replicate this, until I've seen some feedback from some of you, who I'm sure are much more knowledgable of this unusual chemistry. I must admit, however, that my level of skepticism is high.

Is it bogus? Or is this some new kind of bizarro chemistry? That is for you to decide. Either way, It's pretty damn hilarious, I think.

:D:D

bereal511
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-11-2006 at 21:43

*cough* Movie Magic *cough*

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

Mood: heretical

[*] posted on 17-11-2006 at 23:40

I think this quote demonstrates how credible that is.

Quote:
So why do we have to use an apple? All fruits contain a substance called pectin which is concentrated in their skins. When heated, this pectin changes into a form which, chemically, is almost identical to helium.

Not only aren't there any organic compounds with chemical properties remotely resembling those of helium, the guy is clearly confusing physical and chemical properties. If you make something become chemically similar to helium, that doesn't mean it's going to suddenly start having the same mass as helium. The apple wouldn't suddenly become magically lighter if you were to alter it's chemical makeup.

[Edited on 18-11-2006 by Pyrovus]

Never accept that which can be changed.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2006 at 09:45

It's bogus, but it's quite a nice spoof video.
b_d_Dom
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-11-2006 at 10:00

It's not hard to determine that it is fake, just enter the name of the person they say discovered it into google and it becomes fairly clear when all the hits are in Chinese.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2006 at 06:05

By that "logic" most Chinese websites are fake. That looks a bit xenophobic to me.
b_d_Dom
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-11-2006 at 06:58

Well do the search!

There is one English hit, the website that made it up, and the rest are just Chinese sites that copied that one and translated it to Chinese.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2006 at 09:28

Why bother?
I'm quite happy to believe you when you say almost all the hits are in Chinese.
If I could be bothered to find a Chinese "phone book" site all the hits would be in Chinese- it does not follow that the phone book is a spoof.
Waffles
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-11-2006 at 11:54

How is it not immediately obvious that the apple is on a string? It spins around on one axis heh…

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 19-11-2006 at 12:18

If the magic solution contains 3 tbsp brewer's yeast.. how come its perfectly clear and not tan/brown?

DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 20-11-2006 at 01:21

It's called 'the floating apple "TRICK" '
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 20-11-2006 at 19:40

I'd like to see a vapour that has a density greater than the density of an apple, which, since it just floats in water, has to be greater than 0.9.

Which gas, what vapour, has a density of >0.9, at temps up to 100 deg C (boiling water)?

Also, the apple rises from the liquor...meaning that the density of the liquor goes WAY greater than that of the apple, meaning that the density of the liquid changes *massively* during the heating process (> 5-fold). It'd have to be almost liquid mercury to lift the apple up the way it does. Not to mention the hovering, which is even more ridiculous.

It's bullshit for sure.

Nice trick though. I still can't believe though that people waste their time in foolery, targeting mainly people who are prinicipally geeks and just want to learn more.

[Edited on 21-11-2006 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

[*] posted on 21-11-2006 at 08:12

The true geek would never fall for such nonsense.

Go To Top