Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 4-piperidone drying?
Db33
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-11-2016 at 18:47
4-piperidone drying?

i have a bottle of 4-piperidone that ive had for about a month ,it has not been opened and is still in the amber glass bottle with sealed lid that it came in from the supplier. My question is, is this substance known to draw in water easily? Should i put it in a dessicator because even though it mostly still seems soft, there seems to be a few clumps up top that seem to be kind of hard and when shaken, it sounds like the clumps are hard.
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 30-11-2016 at 22:44

It's a fresh, unopened bottle. It's probably as dry as you could hope for. Unless you're doing a finicky organometallic catalytic reaction with it, it's probably alright to use as it is. Drying organic solids is annoying. If the chemistry you have planned is robust (and given the starting material, i suspect it is) it will probably tolerate the miniscule schmutz in your material.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
Chlorine
Hazard to Self

Mood: Brominated

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 06:51

If you do need to remove most of the present water, I'd suggest a simple desiccator bag filled with baked Magnesium sulfate or NaOH.

Db33
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 07:46

okay thanks i was just worried about the top clumping together a little but i suppose its normal, i could always dry it a little before use.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
1-12-2016 at 08:44
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 16:03

Db33,

Personally, I would keep the material cold.

To me, it appears that it might be none-to-stable. And, fully capable of producing its own H2O.... via condensation with itself.

In this matter, I defer to those that have more experience with the material.

myristicinaldehyde
Hazard to Others

Mood: сорок пять

[*] posted on 1-12-2016 at 16:32

Sigma Aldrich sells this as the monohydrate (http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/151769?l...), so it probably isn't perfectly dry and will only go downhill from there once opened.

Go To Top