Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Chemicals/labware to avoid?
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 20:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Veruth
Wow, I never realized how common some of the ingredients for methamphetamine are. The first few hits on google listed the following as posible signs of a meth lab:

Presence of the following items could indicate the existence of a meth lab:

Alcohol
Ether
Benzene
Toluene/Paint Thinner
Freon
Acetone
Chloroform
Camp Stove Fuel/Coleman Fuel
Starting Fluid
Anhydrous Ammonia
"Heet"
White Gasoline
Phenyl-2-Propane
Phenylacetone
Phenylpropanolamine
Iodine Crystals
Red Phosphorous
Black Iodine

Lye (Red Devil Lye)
Drano
Muriatic/Hydrochloric Acid
Battery Acid/Sulfuric Acid
Epsom Salts
Batteries/Lithium
Sodium Metal
Wooden Matches
Propane Cylinders
Hot Plates
Ephedrine (over-the-counter)
Cold Tablets
Bronchodialators
Energy Boosters

Rock Salt
Diet Aids

This makes me very glad I live in a secluded area. It also gives me a decent idea what not to buy together. It's a bit scary really how many of these things can easily be present in a perfectly legitimate home lab.

[Edited on 8-12-2006 by Veruth]

While it is a good idea to be wary of what you have on hand/purchase, no need to go nuts about it. Much of that list is fearmongering. I've bolded what you should worry about. More scary is how the morons who compile such lists have no idea about the real uses of many of them. I have a small ammount of I2, very small ammount of red P, in some places thats enough to get one arrested:o(on 'conspracy to make' or some bull**** like that), but I also have around 200(I should count sometime:P) or so other reagents, and much of the periodic table, which most are completly useless for stupid meth. I figure, don't let such potentially suspect chemicals exceed a certain percentage in your chemical inventory. It would allow a defence if ever in trouble of "if I was making 'x' based on your evidence of me having these few precursors, why would I have so so many other ones which have no use for making 'x'"

[Edited on 8-12-2006 by The_Davster]

[Edited on 8-12-2006 by The_Davster]

Veruth
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 21:06

Well, I've got nothing that's bolded other than two bottles of caffeine tablets (They were about 1/3 the normal price), so that's somewhat comforting.
And yeah, I know what you mean about "not going nuts" about it. I'm not terribly worried about it, but it is a concern. I'm more worried about doing myself harm :P , which is probably a good thing since it will help keep that very thing from happening.
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 21:31

adding to The_Davster's comments...

The phenyl... are indeed very suspicious, but I think not used in the usual labs based on pseudoephedrine.

EDIT: Is phenylpropanolamine the same thing as pseudoephedrine? In that case, it would be common.

I think HCl gas, or especially obviously re-purposed propane cylinders, are very suspicious. (and dangerous). Several search hits mentioned burned/spray-painted old propane cylinders.

The 'pills' that matter are those with pseudoephedrine (ephedrine?). I wouldn't want a stockpile of these around.

Lots of reddish powder is bad.

Most important, I think, is to not look suspicious to a cop who knows what meth labs are usually like. To Joe Sixpack/Jane Soccermom, anything chemical is suspicious, but I think most cops have an idea what meth labs usually look like. You don't want to look just like that.

[Edited on 9-12-2006 by pantone159]
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2006 at 21:45

Quote:
Originally posted by pantone159
For the industrial scale ones, a better process with Ac2O seems more likely. I'd like to think that this makes SMALL Ac2O purchases not so suspicious looking.

Actually, the anhydride method sucks. It has low yields and uses huge quantities of anhydride for very little P2P. Just avoid phenylacetic acid, you CAN make huge amounts of P2P with that and is far more suspect than some anhydride. I really don't know why it's "suspect" since there are no uses for it in meth production. I'd say 95% of meth labs use the pseudo methods, even those working on the multi-kilogram scale.

Just avoid those bolded chemicals, especially the pseudo- there is no use in a home lab for that stuff other than meth production. Iodine and P, yes, but not pseudo. The other stuff (anhydrous HCl and the like) can be easily made should you need them.

Purchasing concentrated HCl or ammonia is not suspicious at all since they are VERY widely used.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
phase_dancer
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-12-2006 at 18:14

Quote:
Originally posted by pantone159
How suspicious, really, is acetic anhydride? It seems like it had the reputation of being very suspicious, but I'm not really sure why. The only notorious use that I am aware of, is acetylating morphine. I'd think that this happens to a very tiny extent in the USA and Europe. Rather, that is done in the places where the morphine is grown in the first place....

Ac2O also of course facilitates the OTC synth of heroin from codeine. "Homebake" H was quite common in New Zealand and Australia at one time.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top