Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does anyone have experience using TBAB as a PTC? Does it cause emulsions?
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 22:18
Does anyone have experience using TBAB as a PTC? Does it cause emulsions?

I've been thinking of playing around with some phase transfer catalyst reactions and got my hands on some TBAB. A problem with some phase transfer catalysts is that they cause emulsions which are horrendous to try to separate without centrifuges and the such. Does anyone know if TBAB is likely to cause that fate?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2016 at 08:10

Yes, it can cause emulsions, that is kinda the point of it. But in the proper amount, not too much, and if after the reaction you dilute the reaction with good separable solvents, it works fine. Thus extracting with ether from water or using chloroform instead of DCM may help. Time will solve most emulsions, as long as the solvent densities are far apart enough. Sometimes that might mean waiting an hour or overnight for the first extraction, if you make a big mess. But usually after the first wash with water, most of the TBAB is gone.
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-12-2016 at 08:21

I was planning to run the reaction from the start with only separable solvents, such as Xylene/Water, and no more than 5% TBAB at the most. I'll try a test run first and see what happens. I presumed TBAB would not cause emulsions as bad as something like CTAB, due to the lack of the long aliphatic chain which CTAB has.

Go To Top