Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Where is Blogfast25 ?
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 16:38
Where is Blogfast25 ?

Blogfast25 is a giant on SM, and the author of several major threads.

However, I am not aware of any activity by him for months!

Any info on what's up?

I would like to participate in one or more of his major topic threads, but can anyone expect a response by him?

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 16:48

From his post on 22/10/2016 in the "Mad Scientist of the Year 2016 Nominations" thread (Forum Matters):

Quote:
A return of an old medical problem is the cause of my recent absence here. But I'm on the mend, so normal service to be resumed shortly. With my legal problems added, 2016 will truly be my 'annus horribilis' but I'm trying to look on the bright side, nonetheless! :):)

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 16:49

We all miss him.

I certainly miss him a Lot.

Perhaps the chem-bust thing got him in prison. Who knows.

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 17:35

Chem bust? I must have missed that discussion
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 19:05

I read the thread... he didn't really want people talking about his situation until everything blew over.

One thing about this hobby - you can be exposed to undue law enforcement and witchhunts, especially if you get into legal grey areas or do things that are flat-out illegal though not otherwise immoral. And for those of us who walk on the right side of the line, legally speaking, it's still possible to run into difficulties that can leave you tied up in court for months or years.

[Edited on 3-1-2017 by JJay]

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 19:47

Interesting, from what I gather about Blogfast is that he is a supporter of the current left spectrum politics (I could very well be wrong, it's just my observation) so to find himself under attack by the current regime for participating in hobby chemistry is a little ironic.

Maybe he'll have a whole new outlook when he returns
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 22:41

That may well be the case but is likely incidental to his current absence. Although bloggers does freely express his political views (for example on his blog), he has expressed a desire to keep personal stuff close to his chest. I am going to guess that the two personal factors alluded to in the post that phlogiston quoted are the reason. He may or may not confirm when he returns.

Like many, I have noticed his absence and wish him all the best for the new year.

Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 17:55

It's difficult to deal with the strain of such painful separation anxiety caused by the absence of our bosom buddy, but we must all try to bear up somehow.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 11:07

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
It's difficult to deal with the strain of such painful separation anxiety caused by the absence of our bosom buddy, but we must all try to bear up somehow.

It's okay, Rosco. I'm sure you'll be close to your pal bloggie's bosoms again before too long.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 14:33

I have a feeling that bloggers will never be far away from this forum.

When he is back and in full effect, Happiness, at least for me.
Still waiting on the square root of -1 thing.

I'm back in the UK for a few days at the end of this month, so might take a trip up North and knock on his door to see what's what.

At the very least i could hand over his Trophy - never got a response despite several tries after he was voted a Winner.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 14:39

Edit:

i would have sent it to the known shop address, but was not sure if Chem-stigmatism forced him away from there.

Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 7-2-2017 at 14:01

I hope he's alright. According to his profile, he hasn't even logged in now for nearly three months. I'm sure he's just been a bit too preoccupied with the whole criminal investigation thing to be bothering with stuff like SM; however, given his preexisting medical problems in addition to all of the new legal issues this investigation has inevitably caused him, I just can't help but worry if he's okay.

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
I'm back in the UK for a few days at the end of this month, so might take a trip up North and knock on his door to see what's what.

Please let me know if you do find out anything new about blog's current situation. If it's too sensitive to post here publicly (as it may still be an ongoing investigation), just hit me up via U2U. I haven't been all that active here lately, but I do still read the forum periodically, and have been following this now for quite some time.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-2-2017 at 14:31

To be honest, i respect him too much to just go knock on his door without invitation.

If he is not communicating, it must be for a reason, and far be it from me to override that reason just because i can.

Clearly he does not chose (or cannot) participate here at this time.

My main worry is if it is because of the 'cannot' part

Losing blogfast25 would be a Total Disaster, at least from my perspective.

On a brighter note, very happy to see a Dark Star again in the sky tonight ;)

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-2-2017 at 15:00

aga, if you are in the area, you can look him up without being invasive. I know that this community means a lot to him and I am certain that he would appreciate some greetings from the many here who miss him.
Clearly something has happened. We can really only speculate what it might be. The two areas of his personal life that he has hinted at in the past are sufficient for us to be concerned. Whatever the situation it would be great to pass on our good wishes to him if we can.
Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 7-2-2017 at 20:21

UPDATE: For anyone still worried about blogfast, I think I may have some good news. Not only does blogfast seem to be very much alive and well, but he also doesn't seem to be incarcerated either. It recently occurred to me that blogfast had mentioned in the past that he was an active member on a popular physics forum, and had even posted a link here on SM to a thread on that site where he had responded to a question someone had posted. Since I still remember which SM thread he posted it in and even have the old U2U message he originally sent me about it, I was able to track down the link pretty easily. Considering the fact that one of the posters in that thread not only has the exact same username as blogfast's real first name, but also just so happens to be a professional chemist from the UK that has recently developed an interest in quantum mechanics (according to his profile), I think it's safe to say that this user is most definitely blogfast.

The good news is that, according to his recent activity log, he's made roughly 17 edits and posts within the last 24 hours, with the most recent being a couple of hours ago. So it would seem that blogfast is indeed alright, and his lack of communication with SM is most likely voluntary. I'm guessing that he's simply chosen to lay low for legal reasons, as he did say that it was an ongoing investigation and that SM was being monitored as well. It would explain why he's cut all ties to SM and its members (emails, phone numbers, messaging services etc), as this forum is largely energetics-oriented. And given the current state of affairs in the UK and the nature of the investigation, I can't say that I blame him.

So out of respect for blogfast, I've opted not to publicly reveal the name of the physics forum or give out any links to his profile there; however, if you'd like to attempt to contact him through the physics forum's private messaging system, U2U me and I'll be happy to give you the link to his profile.

EDIT: As it turns out, you can't send private messages to other users on that site, unfortunately. (it's not really a "forum" in the true sense) You can, however, invite other users to a chat room apparently, but I won't pretend to know how any of that stuff works.

[Edited on 2-8-2017 by Darkstar]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2017 at 21:11

I'm sure they do look at this forum from time to time, and there are probably some members who are forensic chemists. That stated, I doubt law enforcement really takes a lot of interest in what goes on here unless there are large quantities of chemicals that they'd like to control publicly changing hands or if parents complain.

My understanding is that pyro suppliers tend to receive a lot of unwarranted and unnecessary attention from law enforcement. Much of this is likely due to overzealous efforts to combat terrorism, but accidents and law enforcement events with chemicals do happen, and these can trigger investigations. If you supply pyro chemicals, you really need to be on top of your game as far as keeping every legal T crossed and I dotted.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 8-2-2017 at 00:04

So he's a huge nerd who developed an interest in a different nerdy subject and went off to a different forum to play with the nerds there?

Been there, done that. :P I lost interest in chemistry for about five years myself. All my posts here are clustered around 2009 to 2011 or 2016 to 2017, having recently made friends with two aspiring chemists. Hey, I'm happy for him that he's broadening his horizons.

Quote:
I'm sure they do look at this forum from time to time, and there are probably some members who are forensic chemists. That stated, I doubt law enforcement really takes a lot of interest in what goes on here unless there are large quantities of chemicals that they'd like to control publicly changing hands or if parents complain.

I think law enforcement monitors this site for the same reason drug chemists do: they want to see if there are any new synthetic routes to start looking for in drug lab busts. But I can almost guarantee they aren't interested in anyone's real identity here unless they post something incredibly stupid and self-incriminating.

[Edited on 2/8/17 by Melgar]
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 11-2-2017 at 18:45

If comrade blogfast25 has been relocated to Siberia then it is morning in the Ukraine

1-1.jpg - 308kB
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 07:47

8 months in the slammer ...

Ouch! What a Bummer! But it could have been much worse for a non-compliant careless vendor whose wares were used in two murders.

Here is an update I found regarding our fellow board member and online alias who shows an ideological profile / identity conflicted enigma. To anyone's idea that I would celebrate the family man's misfortune I would say I certainly do not wish the actual man or his family any misfortune.

The problem with having a "too cute by half" phony alter ego online "troll identity", is that phony "alias" identity in the virtual world can become too much of a distraction in the real world, and carelessness there can assuredly have its actual costs for the actual inhabitant of the physical world. Everyone should keep their eye on the ball and NOT EVER be in denial about what is the actual, factual and historical basis for all the regulations and restrictions that have been imposed as a SERIOUS security concern.

https://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/news/local-news/2319798/...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4367780/Breaking-Bad...
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 08:12

The problem here was that he was selling chemicals in violation of the law.

There are far more dangerous things than a shed full of chemicals....

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 08:22

He sold a terrorist a small amount of aluminum powder. That wasn't even illegal; it's what got him on the radar of law enforcement.

What is the actual problem here, in your view?

Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 08:58

A lack of sober and honest situational awareness can come back to bite a person on the ass. Playing in traffic is not a good place for children or adults acting like children to be.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 09:05

Well one thing's for sure, the dailymail.uk get a 10/10 for fearmongering.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 11:44

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  

What is the actual problem here, in your view?

MY view is The Nanny State. I've been absent to due to the injuries I sustained last summer, and am just catching up on this. Scary as hell.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 13:05

Shit these are witch hunt tactics! Sadly he had sold without license, this will probably be ending with disastrous debt... hopefully no prison sentence, well, the money will still be an enormous sum he has to spend now :(
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top