Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best way to separate tetraamine copper sulfate and ammonium sulfate?
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 06:33
Best way to separate tetraamine copper sulfate and ammonium sulfate?

Hi!

I've made some tetraamine copper sulfate (solution was clear and nice deep blue color after filtration of copper hydroxide). I tried to get rid of water by heating the solution on a hot plate - and that worked until it started foaming too much. Solution also became light blue (there was no more purple color to it). On the bottom of the beaker I've noticed some purple precipitate and also something white-ish (I think that's probably ammonium sulfate). There was also something greenish (maybe copper hydroxide? - but is it soluble enough?). However, I've used ethanol to force the remaining tetraamine copper sulfate out of the water and after filtering, the water is almost clear (only a bit blue) and on the filtering paper there's a lot of blue precipitate, but only a small amount of purple precipitate - is it possible that tetraamine copper sulfate and ammonium sulfate are somehow mixed, to give this blue color? And how to separate them?

Thanks!

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 16:10

Seems like I've done something similar, in the distant past.

My advisor, at the time, instructed us to not let the material completely dry out.

Could present an explosion hazard. Recalling the peril presented by Silver Ammonium Nitrate, it seems possible.

Somewhere out there, in a book, is the procedure I used. I'll try to cruise the NET to find it.

[Edited on 5-1-2017 by zed]
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 16:43

There is absolutely no danger of explosions from tetramminecopper(II) sulphate.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 17:14

Yup! Explosions not a problem. Chemsnake makes the material on Youtube, then reports that it was not possible to detonate it.

Tetraamine Copper Nitrate, on the other hand, is a different story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaCLTWsHEpI

Methinks I should revisit my advisor's book, we did some very nifty experiments.

pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 18:51

I suspect that you drove the ammonia away as a gas. You should not have had any copper hydroxide left, if you did, you did not use enough/strong enough ammonia. The wikipedia page for this compound suggests to add alcohol to precipitate the purple complex.
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 01:56

Thank you all!

@pantone159

Yes, that's exactly what I did - I didn't use enough ammonia and I also didn't use enough ethanol to precipitate the tetraamine copper sulfate.

Here are some pictures :)

Those white crystals on the last six pictures are probably ammonium sulfate - they look nice, but how to get them out of purple complex?

[Edited on 5-1-2017 by xfusion44]

rsz_dsc01204.jpg - 720kB rsz_dsc01208.jpg - 550kB rsz_dsc01210.jpg - 412kB rsz_dsc01211.jpg - 367kB rsz_dsc01212.jpg - 403kB

[Edited on 5-1-2017 by xfusion44]

rsz_new_bitmap_image.jpg - 460kBrsz_dsc01218.jpg - 862kB

Go To Top