Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  20
Author: Subject: latest glassware purchase
Db33
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 08:01
latest glassware purchase

i posted that i needed some good dry/wet chem storage bottles. So i found a lot on eBay the guy was selling the lot for $85 but he accepted my offer for $50 so im very happy with the deal. You cant see it but theres also a top shelf with a lot of tiny vial sized bottles. I actually got this little cupboard specifically for this so i think its a pretty good start.

IMG_0177.jpg - 88kB
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 08:39

very pretty !

I would get some cheap glass saucers/plates, one per bottle,
as I would inevitably get dribbles that would spoil the wood.
The saucers also enforce spacing, allowing stuff to be seen and accessed.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 09:42

Nice! If I'd seen that deal, I'd have snapped it up too (though I should be saving money so I guess it's good that I didn't).

Edit: Perhaps we can start using this thread as "latest glassware purchase" in general, like with the "Last chemical order" thread.

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by zts16]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2017 at 15:24

I picked up this piece today from my mail agent, who recognized me by box number and asked a lot of questions, which is unusual. When I got home, there was literally a canine unit parked on the street out front. They drove away as I walked up.

IMG_20170107_130913.jpg - 398kB

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-1-2017 at 16:51

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I picked up this piece today from my mail agent, who recognized me by box number and asked a lot of questions

Why? Did this have to go through customs?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2017 at 20:01

It did. The package was labelled as "glasses" but was obviously the wrong shape and size. This seller typically labels items with very specific and accurate language, so that is odd.

Edit: scratch that. I just left feedback on the transaction, and after checking my records, I realize that I actually purchased it from some fly-by-night operation from Taiwan with 98% positive feedback. I will not be buying anything from them again.

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by JJay]

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 02:12

Why abandon that supplier?
It's not their fault that your local law enforcement acts the way it does.
I suspect that I could turn "glassware" into "glasses" by running it through a few machine translations..
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 02:57

There's an unmarked black Impala sitting outside my bedroom window. There's assigned parking on that side, and it's just sitting there with nobody in it. Technically, it's illegally parked, in the fire lane, but the no parking signs are very small and far away from it. On the other side of the building I see a large grey van with tinted windows that I don't recognize.

If it's the cops, they're quickly going to get bored wasting police resources or bust some actual crime in the area, and I'm a law-abiding citizen, but the item is not extremely high quality; it has tiny bubbles visible at every joint. This is a device that has to withstand high vacuum, and it should be capable of withstanding high temperatures.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 06:37

May I ask what country you live in? Land of the free?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 08:34

United States of America.

Land where they expect to find an advanced and active lab when people buy one of these?

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 09:18

I have bought very little that has had to go through customs. I did buy some P2O5 from Poland a few years back. I got a card in the mail that said I had to go to my local post office to pick it up. I did that and found that the package had been opened by customs. But the bottle was clearly labeled and had not been opened.

When I was stocking my lab with glassware through ebay I was getting frequent deliveries of small boxes that had very little weight. My mailman would say "here's another box of air for you." I would just smile and say "thank you."

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by Magpie]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 09:33

I regularly receive packages with declarations like "lab lifting platform" and "lab bottle for lab use" and "lab heating apparatus" without my agent so much as batting an eyelash, but "glasses" must have thrown them off.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 21:24

Update: The Impala disappeared after about 24 hours, but the van with the tinted windows is still out there. I took a closer look. On the outside, it looks like a large, clean, white Dodge passenger van with tinted windows (it looked grey before, but it was dark outside). On the inside, I see that it's outfitted like a work van, with mounted wooden shelves on one side (in front of the glass windows). It's kind of unusual to retrofit a passenger van as a cargo van, especially a new one, but the really weird thing about it is that it's natural gas powered. I don't know of *any* vehicles around here that are natural gas powered except for government vehicles; to my knowledge, there's nowhere to refuel them except for government facilities. It has no markings except for a decal saying that it's natural gas powered and a small American flag. I'm tempted to post pictures, but then I'd probably get a call from an angry FBI agent complaining that I'm interfering with an investigation or something, LoL.

Meanwhile, my burette arrived today. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

[Edited on 10-1-2017 by JJay]

NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 23:47

Oooooh finally a place to show off our new glass!
Well I recently bought a two for the price of one deal which was two 300mm Liebig condensers.
They had graham and ahlihn condensers too but they wouldn't swap to get one of either so I got two of the more useful ones. Good price too.

IMG_1037.JPG - 2.2MB

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 04:12

The 24/40 short path condenser arrived, it has a tiny Vigreaux section :)
Short_Path.jpg - 2.4MB

for size reference, with 500ml and 250ml flasks
ShortPat_Flasks.jpg - 2.2MB

The quality looks good, certainly a lot of glaswork for £12.79 from China ... well packed too.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 04:35

Sweet. It is not the same as the one you pictured but it is still cool. I have never seen a tiny vigreux like that before. I wonder if its effect would offset the added difficulty in cleaning.

Anyway, nice reminder -- I just snaffled a short path condenser for myself that I saw on eBay a couple of days ago. $20 AUD, so even cheaper than yours.

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 05:17

I would prefer an easy-clean clear neck to a 0.x theoretical plates Vigreaux,
which makes high m.w. vacuum distillation a bit pointless,
never mind, it is cute and I'm sure to use it.
I may even determine a value for x

Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 13:26

my latest order arrived today, and its been coming from China for over a month so im very happy. The pieces are an aspirator, a claisen adapter, a 300mm Graham condenser, 300mm Liebig condenser, and a 250ml Pressure-equilizing addition funnel. I must say that the addition funnel ive tried several times to get but always came broken so im syked to have one not be broken. Also a graham condenser is quite beautiful in person i must say!. Now if only my reflux/dimroth condenser would arrive.

IMG_0179.jpg - 99kB
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 15:28

I'm testing out my new cow adapter, and it is pretty sweet. The only thing I don't like about the way it functions is the lack of proper drip tips; if I use a 24/40 receiver, I can't see the drops! I see normal drops with a 24/29 receiver, though.

Pressure-equalizing addition funnels are nice to have when doing reactions under anhydrous conditions or when doing additions of nasty volatiles like bromine. They are sometimes used as steam distillation receivers.

That's a nice Liebig.

[Edited on 10-1-2017 by JJay]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 20:07

50 mL burette.. I had forgotten how big these things are. I placed a U.S. quarter in the picture.

IMG_20170110_190305.jpg - 340kB

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 21:16

just don't forget how easy it is to damage the tip, especially when washing :)

P.S. I'm sure that you know, but I only recently discovered it,
after washing keep the tip up until dry to prevent limescale buildup,
I now even give a little suck to the open end to clear the tip.
(I know what has been in my burettes ... recently)
Rinsing with dH2O would be better, but that is more expensive.

P.P.S. if not already, order a new burette brush,
I find it quite difficult to have the inside clean enough to GUARANTEE that no droplets stick to the inside wall whilst titrating,
in my case the contamination is during storage mostly.

[Edited on 11-1-2017 by Sulaiman]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 10:25

The tap water around here is extremely hard, so I usually use vinegar, acetone, and distilled water for cleaning glassware, especially the final washings. I didn't even think of getting a burette brush! That's a good idea....

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 13:22

Same, JJay. Any glassware that I can't fully towel dry gets rinsed with acetone, or at least distilled water. Acetone is cheap enough, and it only takes a very small amount. Plus if your glassware is nice and clean and not too wet it can be reused a few times.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 14:02

this isnt glassware but it goes with it so i figured id post it anyways. I have no idea why im so happy about this but i am. I finally got some real good thick-walled red vacuum tubing for my vacuum pump for distillations and filtration. I know its not the same as glassware but its something ive always wanted and was always somewhat elusive since only a few places have it. But yeah thanks Magpie, very happy about this.

IMG_0183.jpg - 106kB
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 15:31

I have a good one.

2017-01-12 09.16.53.jpg - 1023kB

There is a bit of a story here.
I elected to have it sent to my work address to avoid having to deal with a police visit. It didn't show up. I assumed that it had been intercepted by customs as occasionally happens. My enquiries did not get me anywhere. I figured that at the low price I got it for I may as well order another one before the Christmas holidays.

On arrival back at work, this showed up. The package was wrapped in an additional plastic bag provided by Australia post. It was labelled as having been damaged in transit. On opening it I discovered that the inside package was completely intact. But the address label was almost unreadable -- maybe water damage.

So, in all likelihood, I will have my second cow adapter arriving in the next couple of days as well.

(Maybe I should send the spare to Tdep. He likes collecting unsolicited glassware.)

Pages:  1    3  ..  20

Go To Top