Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19  
Author: Subject: latest glassware purchase
VeritasC&E
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2022 at 13:54

Quote: Originally posted by flaminglasrswrd  
The only thing I paid was a few cuts from some broken glass. Well, that and all of the time invested in checking the dumpster each week for the last few years.

The results:

Boxes and boxes of glassware and equipment. Several 2 and 3 liter RBFs, a 3L sep funnel, 4 Friedrichs condensers, two Edwards RV3 vacuum pumps, one Welch 8907 pump, two Buchi r114 rotavaps with water baths, a thermo 6255 vacuum oven, a Fluke 412B HV PS, a thermo CL2 centrifuge, a Lytron mcs20g cooler, and a thermo electron 2870 shaking water bath, two cases of TLC plates, and a couple of variable reflux distillation heads.

Lots of other condensers, graduated cylinders, addition funnels, flasks, assorted ground glass adapters, gas valves, some quartz stuff, and more.

All of the equipment seems to work and I tossed all of the broken glassware already. Some things have minor damage but they work all the same.

I had to make several trips back to the dumpster to get everything. Like I said in my other post, apparently one of the chem professors retired and they cleaned out his lab. Lucky me!

I'm keeping most of it, but if something catches your fancy lmk and maybe we can work out a deal.

I am so jealous of you that I cannot put it in words.

I would never have imagined that anyone on earth possibly could put stuff like these in a dumpster. Part of me thinks this cannot be true and you are just trying to trigger the passionate chemists in us.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 28-9-2022 at 17:29

Today i get to use my Friedrich's condenser for the first time. i am just using it to reflux, which I know it is not really designed for. But it is still lots of fun.
:)
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2022 at 19:19

Quote: Originally posted by Organikum  
Anyways if somebody can help me finding those reactor flasks DN100, 1000 ml and 2000 ml that would be great!

they have 2 L in stock and sell to EU, certainly surrounding countries, I do not know how far... also not sure about the diameter of neck whether it would be compatible with your cover part... also minimal order is 150 EUR so they won't sell you only this one flask for 100 EUR
https://sklep-chemland.pl/en/szklo-laboratoryjne/szklo-z-ele...
the seals compatible with their glass seem to be 100 mm
https://sklep-chemland.pl/en/szklo-laboratoryjne/szklo-z-ele...

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 29-9-2022 at 17:06

Thanks for the link, sadly they use a different flange and the prices are also quite hefty. This PTFE O-ring for the reactors is insane nearly 80 €, In Germany they want over a hundred though. Just a core of silicone rubber with PTFE coating. I buy the thinner silicone or rubber o-rings and wrap them in three layers of 19 mm x 0,2 mm PTFE tape. Thanks to the cold-creep of PTFE the tape sinters to a solid coating in no time. Cost per O-ring about 6 € and never had a problem at no temperature and with no solvent.

And I got a 2-liter reaction flask meanwhile, not cheap but cheap compared to what they want at official sources. 90 € I think? Was new. 250 € usual price.

Irgendwas is ja immer
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 11-10-2022 at 01:14

My latest purchase. Looking forward to putting it to use.

Saleimages_0148.jpeg - 45kB
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2022 at 11:00

Some 10 X 150 mm quartz test tubes with shipping came to $3.00 a piece from China.

011.JPG - 224kB013.JPG - 284kB
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2022 at 15:56

Not glassware but most recent purchase that I am excited about, it came with more stirrers than listed so extra happy, to compliment it I ordered a Teflon stirrer and bearings (2 of them)

I'll be making a protective splash shield for it as well to ideally extend its life!

It is a 3 phase drive dc motor, very strong and smooth speed control

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/174250439099 < Canada

I'm very happy with it

scimad-1.jpg - 120kB scimad2.jpg - 124kB scimad3.jpg - 91kB scimad4.jpg - 83kB
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 22-11-2022 at 19:01

Quote: Originally posted by HydrogenSulphate  
Some GL45 reagent bottles. There are red cap versions, which have a PTFE liner.

you can buy yellow caps, orange, green, white transparent of silicone...

I've yellow caps/liners, silicone ones... the silicone is for high purity menstruums... the others, many are only for color coding and some few are for especial liquids/works.

check the catalogs!!! :-)

[file]95827[/file]

IMG_20100101_013732.jpg - 959kB
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2022 at 10:54

Uh... Why do I have 2 10ml quartz beakers on my desk ?

I got that in the mail today from China but I assume I would remember buying them / find a trace in my recent purchases on eBay!

Weird, but I'll take it :P

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2022 at 00:37

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

These overheads are beyond superior bang for buck. They are very silent, smooth running, have freely adjustable rpm and have a lot of torque. They merely register when running 10 liter volume reactions and can run days non-stop. Once you get to see one of these, you will loathe over any magnetic stirrer for the rest of your life. It's more like comparing toothbrush or a PC fan to a small drill press in performance.

The stand included is also of exceptional quality and rigidity and weights several kg. The C-shaped stand is cast iron, and the two-piece shaft is 16mm steel with what looks like M10 thread. It could likely hold up your body weight no problem, the only major downside is it's very short, so you'd need to mount the motor to a 16mm round bar or a threaded rod mounted to a table or fume hood yourself. The stands excel as sep funnel or other tool holders.

You'd best get flexible shaft mount designed for linear controllers for 3D printers to mount a PTFE stirrer to the motor shaft. Set screw installation also ensures the stirrer won't drop into the flask and smash through the bottom during operation, especially vacuum.

They seem to work quite well with vacuum operations with PTFE ground joint bushing and fluorine rubber o-ring and paraffin oil lubrication. It will cut the high vacuum most likely because it naturally leaks a little, but it still enables distilling ~250C boiling liquids at 120-140C. High performance stirring improves reactions a lot by consistent and strong mixing and thermal balance, which enables both less or more cooling or heating depending on what is desired, and it creates similar effect to rotavap when distilling - stripping solvents that is - allowing you to input a lot of heat without bumping and it increases evaporation rate.

Funny enough I would say they are overkill for smaller than 2L flasks and really get to their working range with 5-10L flasks minimum and could likely stir reactions to 20-50 liters with zero issues over protracted times, hence they also suit for purposes like stirring mash for fermenting alcohol.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 2-12-2022 at 17:37

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Uh... Why do I have 2 10ml quartz beakers on my desk ?

I got that in the mail today from China but I assume I would remember buying them / find a trace in my recent purchases on eBay!

Weird, but I'll take it :P

I have it on good authority that you have made it onto the Nice List this year.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2022 at 11:27

Galileo thermometer from here: https://shop.es-drei.de/laborbedarf/laborzubehoer/13578/ther...
It was a reagent order, but I added this toy into the basket too.
When cold, everything floats on the top, that was also the case when I got the parcel (winter here). Now burning firewood in my stove so quite warm here, most of balls sank to the bottom and the one floating is telling 26 C.

IMG_20221207_201651_1_sm.jpg - 362kB

[Edited on 7-12-2022 by Fery]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2022 at 15:19

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

These overheads are beyond superior bang for buck. They are very silent, smooth running, have freely adjustable rpm and have a lot of torque. They merely register when running 10 liter volume reactions and can run days non-stop. Once you get to see one of these, you will loathe over any magnetic stirrer for the rest of your life. It's more like comparing toothbrush or a PC fan to a small drill press in performance.

The stand included is also of exceptional quality and rigidity and weights several kg. The C-shaped stand is cast iron, and the two-piece shaft is 16mm steel with what looks like M10 thread. It could likely hold up your body weight no problem, the only major downside is it's very short, so you'd need to mount the motor to a 16mm round bar or a threaded rod mounted to a table or fume hood yourself. The stands excel as sep funnel or other tool holders.

You'd best get flexible shaft mount designed for linear controllers for 3D printers to mount a PTFE stirrer to the motor shaft. Set screw installation also ensures the stirrer won't drop into the flask and smash through the bottom during operation, especially vacuum.

They seem to work quite well with vacuum operations with PTFE ground joint bushing and fluorine rubber o-ring and paraffin oil lubrication. It will cut the high vacuum most likely because it naturally leaks a little, but it still enables distilling ~250C boiling liquids at 120-140C. High performance stirring improves reactions a lot by consistent and strong mixing and thermal balance, which enables both less or more cooling or heating depending on what is desired, and it creates similar effect to rotavap when distilling - stripping solvents that is - allowing you to input a lot of heat without bumping and it increases evaporation rate.

Funny enough I would say they are overkill for smaller than 2L flasks and really get to their working range with 5-10L flasks minimum and could likely stir reactions to 20-50 liters with zero issues over protracted times, hence they also suit for purposes like stirring mash for fermenting alcohol.

My bearings arrived! very nice given the cost of em, love the feel of solid Teflon!

I got it for trying to make Acetic anhydride via our deal late friends post in the reference section

I'll be using Silicon grease for one, but oil is a good idea as all, was wondering what I could use other then the grease, now I know!

stirrer bearings..jpg - 32kB

[Edited on 7-12-2022 by XeonTheMGPony]
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 9-12-2022 at 04:07

I suppose you will be using the PTFE coated stirrers with this. I recommend to buy a few Viton or other Fluoropolymere O-rings with nominally 8 mm ID. Those are always a little bit tighter then nominal and the 7 mm shaft is actually wider the 7 mm. So using a 8 mm O-ring is perfect as it will be squeezed tighter when it gets screwed down. The original 7 mm O-rings leave bad grooves on the shaft in no time, not good at all.

It is possible you have to widen the seating of the O-ring a little bit so it sits nicely centered but thats no problem using a 12 mm metal drill or similar item. You use it by hand, not in the drill of course!

Irgendwas is ja immer
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2022 at 06:47

. The original 7 mm O-rings leave bad grooves on the shaft in no time, not good at all.

+1

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2022 at 15:19

I suppose you will be using the PTFE coated stirrers with this. I recommend to buy a few Viton or other Fluoropolymere O-rings with nominally 8 mm ID. Those are always a little bit tighter then nominal and the 7 mm shaft is actually wider the 7 mm. So using a 8 mm O-ring is perfect as it will be squeezed tighter when it gets screwed down. The original 7 mm O-rings leave bad grooves on the shaft in no time, not good at all.

It is possible you have to widen the seating of the O-ring a little bit so it sits nicely centered but thats no problem using a 12 mm metal drill or similar item. You use it by hand, not in the drill of course!

Ironically I am working on finding some better vitron o rings for it, and my second teflon stirrer I ordered arrived along with my balls for the mill! The one that came with it wasn't going to clear with a claison adapter in the mix

ignore the heater pad, that's for my genset.

IMG_20221209_165633.jpg - 725kB
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 23-1-2023 at 16:48

Ordered me a new distillation head a few weeks ago, and she just came in.
Actually, I broke 3 claisen adapters trying to make this before I called a professional

https://www.clearhorizonsglass.com/
Gonna break her in this weekend.

20230116_145140.jpg - 1MB

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 20-2-2023 at 11:53

My last toy, a 500 ml custom made big mouth flask :D

Oh, now I can remove easily the vegetal matter from it!!

reac2.jpg - 188kB
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 04:44

kipps.jpg - 161kB

Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 07:38

Is that a Kipp's apparatus? I have always loves those things!

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 07:38

I love the kipps apparatus. I've tried to order the cheap ones off amazon but they never arrive unbroken

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 09:19

Yes, it is brand new Kipp's from Witeg.de. I can confirm that the quality of all components and connections are very good. It has standard silicon/teflon sealants in all connections and standard GL threads.

[Edited on 11-5-2023 by teodor]
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2023 at 23:38

Cute isn’t it?

IMG_1400.jpeg - 2.8MB
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 16-9-2023 at 11:03

Wowzer!

Usually when I go to my local Renaissance store (Goodwill) near my house, I see the occasional beaker, but rarely any glassware worthy of my attention. Obviously, It's not the place really for high-end laboratory equipment!

But this caught my attention this morning!!! I could not pass these up!!!

From Kimax, two very large graduated cylinders, one is 500 ml, the other is a 1.5 l behemoth !!! What are those doing at Renaissance? Pretty happy finding these! :D

IMG_2635.jpg - 626kB

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2024 at 11:39

I bought a few of these quartz tubes for 16 dollars each plus shipping just to tinker with and was wondering what they might be used for. They each came in sealed double plastic bags and have an etched number on them so they don't seem your ordinary UV quartz sleeve. The open end is a thicker quartz not some plastic adapter. There's a similar 27.5 inch tube on eBay for $407.00 --
(Xycarb Ceramics 10320565 Quartz Tube 27.5")
The open end is a 2.12" outer diameter and the rest 1.49" OD.

DSC_0001.JPG - 987kB DSC_0002 - Copy.JPG - 590kB DSC_0004.JPG - 935kB DSC_0002.JPG - 1.1MB

[Edited on 13-4-2024 by Morgan]
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19  

Go To Top