Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10
Author: Subject: latest glassware purchase
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 18:22

How many theoretical plates for that column? I'm guessing that you will have some great separations/purifications by distillation.
On another note: if you had everything, wouldn't you have to keep it everywhere? (Forgive me; it's been a long day :D)
SWIM
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 19:59

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
How many theoretical plates for that column? I'm guessing that you will have some great separations/purifications by distillation.
On another note: if you had everything, wouldn't you have to keep it everywhere? (Forgive me; it's been a long day :D)

Good point. (about everything)
About the column I'm guessing it's 15, since it has 15 of those little trays in it. But what I don't know about Oldershaw columns you could almost cram into the Astrodome.
I figure I'll try it out with a variable reflux head and some insulation. But to be frank I have no Idea if there's any peculiarity to how these are used as opposed to like a Hempel column.

It should arrive next week. It's 29/42, and it's about 600mm long.

The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's hard to determine their authenticity. -Abraham Lincoln.
j_sum1
International Hazard

Mood: Undergoing decantation and leaving all the crap behind.

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 20:57

Sweet piece of glass there SWIM. It is a design I have not seen before. How is the Oldershaw functionally different from a Snyder column? It does look a lot more compact and lacks the fun moving parts.

I too would guess 15 theoretical plates for your purchase. And I woud surmise that it would start doing strange things if it ever began to get flooded.

It seems you do have the Midas touch.
(The misers' touch is if you don't share it. The minus touch is when you drop it. And the miners' touch is if you are doing your chemistry underground.)

A little shameless self-promotion: You are welcome to tour my newly-completed lab.
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 19:03

Here are a couple of papers I have, but honestly I haven't read. Maybe they will be some help concerning HETP. I thought I had a clearer explanation somewhere, but can't find it now. It may have been in Fieser's Org. chem lab manual, or maybe in Vogel. Both of those books are in the forum library, I think.
JJay
International Hazard

Mood: phosphorus

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 19:27

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  

It should arrive next week. It's 29/42, and it's about 600mm long.

Nice. Those columns are super pricey!

I got a second 30 cm Vigreux from Deschem today (Deschem sells nice Vigreux columns). But unpacked, I doubt that the combined separating power of all of the columns of my humble lab have the separating power of that Oldershaw column.

I also got a couple of jointed quartz tubes. I'm going to wrap one with copper tubing and use it as a condenser and use the other one as a combustion tube. Boron tribromide is theoretically within my grasp.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 20:14

I have a few various jacketed beakers and fritted funnels/reactors if people want any. I think the beakers are 100 to 400 ml, and the fritted reactors span tiny (1-2ml?) to medium ones, not really sure, most look custom or are unlabelled. But I am happy to sell them inexpensively, since they would take a while to list on Ebay. I'll try to get some photos one of these days, but they are mostly scattered in a few boxes of random things.
j_sum1
International Hazard

Mood: Undergoing decantation and leaving all the crap behind.

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 21:32

Ok, not glassware but an interesting equipment purchase nonetheless.

At a garage sale today I scored about 15kg of lead for five bucks. There were two buckets of lead head nails, some lead bars and wires, some lead roofing flashing and this gem -- a home-made lead beaker. I don't think it will inspire me to do the lead chamber process but I can see it being useful for some electrolysis where I want a lead anode.
2018-01-14 15.04.25.jpg - 293kB

I also scored six glasses and a jug in what I believe is depresion-era uranium glass. Also five bucks. I have yet to test it though.

(Not sure whether this belongs here or in the repurposed/homemade lab gear or chemical purchases thread. Guess it is here now.)

A little shameless self-promotion: You are welcome to tour my newly-completed lab.
Plunkett
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-1-2018 at 07:57

I snagged three nice reagent bottles today from my university's dumpster. They were throwing out several empty Sigma Aldrich and Fisher bottles, mostly for alcohols and ammonia. I will go back for more but I could only fit so many in my backpack.
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10

Go To Top