Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thalidomide synthesis questions
RobRylan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2017 at 18:04
Thalidomide synthesis questions

I thought it would be a fun project to synthesize thalidomide, the infamous drug that caused birth defects, and came across this approach on pages 79-80 of this thesis pdf

It requires phthalic anhydride and glutamic acid to be refluxed in pyridine, then the product is reacted with acetic anhydride to form a new ring, and then it is melted with urea to form crude thalidomide. None of the reactants are difficult to obtain so I'm going to try it out.

A few questions about it though that I've had trouble answering myself (sorry if any have obvious answers I just start org II)
-Is the pyridine for the reaction solvent just used as a higher-boiling polar aprotic solvent or does it play a role in the reaction? If not could something like methyl ethyl ketone be used with a longer reflux?
-Also, how would the Ac2O be added? Would the N-phthaloyl glutamic acid intermediate be extracted and just reacted with straight Ac2O?

Thanks for any help

Edit: I found information regarding the Ac2O reaction

[Edited on 18-1-2017 by RobRylan]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2017 at 02:08

Step 1 apperently can be done in DMF, the reaction is also stereospecific, although apperently the mocule's enantiomers are not stable as the stereogenic centre's hydrogen is acidic.

http://sphinxsai.com/Vol.3No.1/chem_jan-mar11/pdf/CT=37(234-237)%20JMCT11.pdf

Go To Top